Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: SquareTrade 5-Year TV Protection Plan ($1750 - 2000)
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now STEM

Service plan term: 5 Years|Service plan covered value: $1750-$2000|Change
Price:$215.44+ Free shipping

on June 22, 2012
I have purchased ST warranty for my Toshiba 55" LED in March, 2010, both purchased at Amazon. About four weeks ago, my TV started showing horizontal lines, darkest on the left hand side and fading out towards right hand side. Filed a claim/complaint with ST. A technician visited us with a mother board and a power board and swopped them out to no avail. The following week, got an email from ST that this could not be repaired cost effectively and they would compensate me for the entire purchase price!! Within the next hour, got another mail stating that the funds were issued to my Paypal account. Having dealt with extended warranties with cars and standard health insurance exclusions/scams, I must say that this hands down is THE BEST and the most hassle-free warranty out there. They have completely surprised me with the compensation, I was expecting a little haggle and likely compensation on a pro-rated basis, I was wrong. I will happily be buying this warranty on all my electronic items.
11 comment| 80 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 14, 2014
Square Trade has been a major player in the residential warranty arena for many years now. For some time, they have enjoyed a reputation for reasonable and attractive price points for covering your electronics, phones and other equipment as well as for their customer service. I have purchased 6 warranties from ST but there has been a clear and substantial deterioration in the quality and consistency of their repair and customer support "experience" which has now altered my assessment of the value of a Square Trade purchase for the following reasons.

PROS:

1. Market-competitive price points compared with Best Buy's Geek Squad and other competitors for large electronics, HDTV's, android and i Phones and other equipment which draw you in initially on the purchase.
2. Customer Support still in the U.S.
3. Most customer support associates are friendly and generate the perception of a friendly customer culture but often lack the training, resources or empowerment to address customer concerns.

CONS:

1. Access ALL of the terms and conditions BEFORE you purchase your warranty. If not, you are likely to be very disappointed if and when your item requires repair. Unfortunately, Square Trade is not transparent in making this information conspicuous before the purchase. ST strategically places their "Terms and Conditions" in text at the very end of the page requiring an electron microscope to read. Most of us never think of reviewing this prior to purchase but you should ALWAYS do so. Remember that the devil is always in the details and this is especially relevant with Square Trade. Their liability under the terms of the warranty is limited to the actual purchase price of your item. READ IT CAREFULLY.

2. Like all warranty companies, they remain excessively bureaucratic. Expect to spend indefinite periods of time and space waiting on the line as they "review" your inquiry or case while you age. ST thinks nothing of asking their customers to hold for 30 minutes as they educate themselves at your expense. Instead of guaranteeing a time-sensitive call-back for those issues demanding such attention, Square Trade associates challenge your patience while they search for information which should be at their fingertips.

3. On many occasions, Square Trade provides inaccurate and/or clearly incomplete information regarding your inquiry. Supervisors are often unavailable or not empowered to resolve customer issues quickly and accurately as used to be the case several years ago. Having had (and have) multiple policies and a repair claim to my credit, my experience suggests that their "Customer Service" is extremely porous with little respect for customer's time.

4. Claim Processing can be inconsistent and cumbersome and is far from a seamless, coordinated process. My repair claim resulted in having to make over six calls to ST. Not only did ST initially deny a valid laptop claim due to a poorly trained associate, but also failed to send out a shipping box as they had agreed.

5. Square Trade's promotional incentives can be misleading and their lack of transparency in honoring them often marginal at best. Keep in mind that to receive ST-sponsored promotions, you must purchase your warranty directly through Square Trade's website and not through Amazon. This can be a clear disadvantage because the best prices on Square Trade warranty products is consistently through Amazon. For example, ST does not offer a 5 year HDTV warranty on their own website; to get this, you must purchase it from Amazon.

6. Communicating with ST through their poor, tinny "outer-space" VOIP line contributes to frustration and not an efficient and pleasant customer experience. The "experience" equation becomes even more prominent if you are unlucky enough to get the representative whose native language is clearly not English or who does not articulate clearly.

7. In addition to their verbatim phone script, ST addresses each client by their first name which I suspect is intended as a friendly gesture. Many of us may find this practice somewhat juvenile and patronizing, particularly those who of us who graduated from kindergarten-I find that "sir" or using a last name seems to work just fine.

RECOMMENDATIONS:

1. Consider if you really need these types of "warranties". Consumer Reports has consistently recommended to avoid these types of warranties because the return on investment is often not worth the price of the warranty product.

2. If you do decide to purchase a Square Trade warranty, purchase it directly from Amazon. Here's why: Amazon's partnership with ST is a revenue-enhancing conduit for delivering Square Trade's products. As such, any grievances become arbitrated and rectified quickly and efficiently by Amazon on behalf of its customers. My 9 calls to ST to try and resolve a recent issue remained unresolved until Amazon intervened to issue the accurate credit.

3. Amazon's price points for ST warranties is volatile and changes frequently, often by as much as $10-$15. I suggest placing your chosen plan in your cart and waiting a few days before purchasing since the price fluctuates rapidly. In most cases, you have 30 days from the date of purchase of your equipment to purchase the warranty so you have time to determine the price ceiling and floor for your particular warranty.

3. Request a complete copy of the terms and conditions governing your specific warranty and READ IT CAREFULLY BEFORE PURCHASING.
on June 18, 2012
This is not a real extended warranty. They only cover you up to the amount you paid including all the potential service calls. So if you have several service calls you may end up using up all your warranty and still have no TV. If you are lucky and the TV is not repairable on the first try you will get your money back. If you get a repair then you only entitled to what is left after the repair. So for example for $500 TV after a $200 service call you will be left with a maximum of $300 for all future repair or replacements. It maybe cheaper, but you get what you paid for.
on April 4, 2013
My 58 inch Samsung plasma TV began showing signs of a bad panel a few months back. I knew I had a protection plan with squaretrade for a maximum replacement value for the TV of $2499. So I called to have the set looked at by a service center that squaretrade picked. After an exam of the TV panel they concluded that the TV was totalled and a replacement or a refund would be issued.
This is where the fun starts. I was told that the exact TV was NOT available and a similar TV would cost $900 (I owned a smart tv... 3D... internet access... top of the line samsung. The replacement was a budget tv squaretrade was offering).
Very long story short... squaretrade lied about the exact TV not being available in the exact same store (amazon). It not only was in stock... there were 12 sets waiting for delivery using my prime memebership. Its replacement price was $2699 but I just wanted what I was covered for... $2499. Squaretrade offered and sent out a check for $2000... $499 less than coverage. The only reason I gave squaretrade a rating is cause you cant give zero stars... They lied.
22 comments| 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 28, 2010
I purchased a Square Trade Warranty for a flat panel TV that I purchased online when the unit failed after 4 months I contacted Square Trade, they asked for a receipt of purchase which I provided.

They then instructed me to have the unit repaired by a certified technician of my choosing and email them a copy of the bill which I did. Two days later they transferred the funds to my paypal account just like they had advertised.

Overall I rate their performance as excellent.
33 comments| 106 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 6, 2012
My 2 1/2 year old Sony 46 inch HDTV started displaying vertical bars. Fortunately, I had purchased a Square Trade Warranty along with the TV. I contacted Square Trade and filed a claim. They asked me to send them pictures of the problem. A few days later they informed me they could not do an in home repair and they would send me a check for the full price I paid. Today I received the check. You can't ask for more than that. I will always purchase a Square Trade warranty when purchasing a television from Amazon or any other retailer. Well worth it.
on June 3, 2014
6/2/14
I'm two weeks into a claim and they do not call back. If you bug them and call them really early, you get someone on the phone, but today's guy, 'John', was extremely rude. And he said the supervisor comes in at 9AM and it was only 6:30 AM west coast time. He seemed to have fun being offensive and making us go through the exact same trouble shooting steps we did last week. (another 90 minutes worth). He claims to be sending us parts directly and sending a service person out 'to contact us in 2-3 days'. They told us the exact same thing last Thursday and it is now Tuesday. No call and they did not seem to have even kept a record of the calls last week.

I will update this as the saga continues... For those of you considering paying money for a warranty - consider that they have loaded reviews with fakes 5 star rating and many have no comment on service. If you have an option pay up and go for a warranty from the manufacturer. Otherwise be prepared to spend 40+ hours on likely a losing proposition and then pay for a new TV anyway. Read on...
on July 19, 2014
Square Trade is a scam. I wish I had done more research before I bought into their bs. Filed a claim a month ago for my TV. I have never been contacted by a single person from this company. When I logged in today to see what the deal was and why things seemed to be taking forever, I see that they have closed the claim. This was surprising as, like I said, no one fixed nor even contacted me about my TV. Tried to call today but there was a 125 minute hold time. Their auto attendant told me I could leave my number and when it was my turn they would call me back. That was 9 hours ago. I just submitted a complaint with the better business burrow. There are a TON of complaints on there for Square Trade. If you just want to throw your hard earned money away, go ahead and buy one of their bs warranties.
on April 11, 2014
I know people are apt to discount a negative review among so many positive ones so let me say this is my first negative review. Also, I'm not paranoid, really, so I don't think I'm being singled out. All those positive reviews may be the effect of a reputation management service or my problem may be caused by an errant employee or employees. I went on line to file a claim for my non-functioning TV. The model number didn't exist on the Square Trade web site so I had to call it in. My first call indicated there was a 45 minute wait and I could ask them to call me back. Five days later, when I did not receive a call, I called the company and they answered almost immediately. The first minor problem was that they said I had not completed the registration although my TV was listed on line as covered. I emailed a copy of my receipt to them and the next day I received the promised parts. A week later I emailed them asking when my TV would be fixed. They responded saying they were waiting for parts to be sent to me. I indicated I got the parts. Where they sending me more parts? No response. A week later I went through this exercise again. Presently they are not responding to my emails. I believe providing an independent warranty/repair/replacement service is a good idea particularly if the company, in the future, could provide data on the incidence of repair for particular products or adjust their fees based on reliability. I notice that the President of the company has responded to negative reviews in the past and I welcome her or him to respond to this one. Unfortunately, I'm still waiting for my TV to be repaired.
on July 9, 2011
Called and got the run around multiple times. I asked for my money back and they would not provide any help. The comparable model was not the same as what I purchased. I know upset people write bad reviews, but I want to save others the hours wasted that I spent. Go somewhere that you can get a real human conversation and they can see your upset face to resolve your issue. Square Trade is a scam!
66 comments| 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse