Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Wonder Woman now available on Blu-ray, 3D, and 4K Tailgating FFII_gno

Service plan term: 2 Year|Service plan covered value: $ 200-249.99|Change
Price:$44.98+ Free shipping

Showing 1-10 of 2,323 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,815 reviews
on October 19, 2014
I bought this plan immediately upon purchasing a new laptop. I knew that I wanted a strong warranty policy, and this came up as a recommended choice on Amazon and had really strong reviews.

After looking through the other reviews though, I found that there was some serious distortion of the results because many of the positive reviews came from people who had never had to file a claim. Because of that, I decided to do a sort of "review of the reviews" to get a better idea of the true quality of this warranty.

Here's the executive summary. More detailed results and the methods that led me to them follow:

1) Overall, the service seems hit-or-miss, though generally it seems to be more hit than miss
2) I would like to re-emphasize what the current most-helpful positive comment says: Make Sure You Know What You Are Buying.
3) The "true" starred rating of this policy is closer to three stars. Right now it is overrated, likely because SquareTrade encourages people to review their product upon purchase, before the consumer has had any real need to use it.

Details:
I sorted the comments by "most recent," because I wanted to get an up-to-date snapshot of how well they are doing. Then I went through each review, going back three months. For each review, I first classified it as "definitely filed a claim," "definitely did not file a claim," or "unclear." Then I further sorted these into "positive" (4-5 stars) "neutral" (3 stars) or "negative" (1-2 stars). When sorting into "positive" etc., I did not consider the comments, only the starred rating. More on the comments below.

First, here are the overall results:

**Definitely Filed a Claim**

Positive: 33
Neutral: 2
Negative: 4

Quantitative analysis:
_Of the people who actually used the service, about 2/3 were happy. Good, but not great.
_Only 25% of positive reviews came from people who definitely filed a claim, compared to 42% of negative reviews coming from people who definitely filed a claim, suggesting that the current starred rating is significantly too high.

Qualitative analysis:
_In all fairness, a few of the negative reviews from people who filed a claim came from people who were dissatisfied for reasons that related at least partly to their own misunderstanding of the product. Nevertheless, one or two raised some really serious issues (e.g., using inferior replacement parts)
_I would like to suggest to Amazon that they discourage SquareTrade from directing consumers to the review page immediately upon purchase. Doing so creates very muddled results.

That's all folks.
4545 comments| 1,564 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 28, 2015
Do not buy a plan here, I just got my laptop from repair and it looks like they beat the shit out of it. I called them and they going to see what they can do but before I ship it out there was no marks and after I got it back stuff was missing and tons of marks. They had me take photos and it doesn't boot. All Photos I put in this is stuff that they did to it and what I get everytime I load the pc
22 comments| 109 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 24, 2017
I am a behavioral biology/computer science student at Johns Hopkins University, I run art/garden camp in the summer for children. Square trade is positively evil. They straight up lied to me and used their weight as a large institution to ensure that I wasn't able to do anything. Alright time for specifics, I sent my laptop in three times for the same issue--the laptop would shut off unexpectedly because of a loose screw. Every time they sent it back it would turn off within an hour. The first time was pretty bad. The second time I was near loosing it. But the third time? the third time was personal. This was of course infuriating in itself, but oh, oh nononononon it gets worse far worse. Every time I sent it I had to go through an arduous negotiation process taking upwards of two hours. More specifically, when I asked whether or not I would be able to be compensated in any way for having my laptop in transit back and forth from square trade for four months, the answer was no (this is slightly understandable but it gets worse). They failed continuously and did nothing to make up for the mistakes THEY made. The third time they sent back my device, they replaced the hardrive, yet the computer still turned off within an hour of having received it. But wait, theres more. They happened to install the wrong hardrive the second time they send back the device--they gave me a similar i7 processor but one without a turbo drive. I called on the third time furious at their service to complain. If you have a serious issue, FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT, they have people higher up in the chain--the people you are first sent to are trained to tell you no. After much arguing they told me that I would be able to talk with a manager the next day (after waiting and arguing for 2 hours). I didn't receive a call. Awesome so great of you squaretrade what good customer service ("we'll just wait them out!!"). So I waited a week or so and called back (only to have to wait for another hour). In the end they promised me 800$ for my laptop and the amount that they had made me wait, they had also violated a little something known as the Lemon law (look it up), and yes I was quite happy for a brief moment. EXCEPT AFTER HAVING SENT IN MY DEVICE THEY RESCINDED MY CLAIM!!!!! THEY SAID THAT I HAD CHANGED THE HARDDRIVE ON MY COMPUTER DEVICE!!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME MY VERY COMPLAINT WAS THAT THEY HAD PUT THE WRONG HARDRIVE BACK INTO MY DEVICE? WHAT ELSE CAN I SAY?!?!?!?---NO I DIDN'T REPLACE THE HARDRIVE?!?!? WELL APPARENTLY THATS NOT ENOUGH AND AFTER MONTHS OF WAITING WITH MY LAPTOP IN TRANSIT AND HOURS OF WAITING ON HOLD I WAS TOLD THAT NOTHING WOULD BE DONE AND THAT WHAT I HAD DONE IS BORDERLINE CRIMINAL. This was a mistake on their part. It’s obvious that they hadn't kept good records so of course when its their tech team's perspective over that of a customer, their gonna take the tech team's side. What you did was fraudulent Squaretrade. What you did was using the weight of a large institution to squash an individual. You make it purposefully difficult to get the money you deserve. Your website is not user friendly. Your customer service is trained to make it as difficult as possible. and none of you have any accountability. The mechanism that is square trade is not looking out for your best interest. Luckily I am not the most needing person and had the time to argue my case. I can only imagine how horrible this would be for a family with a real claim that does not have the time for this bureaucratic maze.

I have no reason to try and steal a hardrive from squaretrade, I simply wanted a working laptop. It is obviously in squaretrades best interest to set up a mechanism that prevents them from being predated upon by people looking to make a quick buck. It makes sense. However, because it seems they are poorly organized, it can, and will blow up on you. There is no accountability on their part and because of this I am stuck with a laptop with the wrong hardrive, that shuts off periodically, and the cherry on top was that I was accused of criminal activity. YOU GO SQUARE TRADE!! I had to run lessons that were on the computer, but because it took so long **shrugs oh well too bad that’s on you valued customer.

I wish I could give square trade a lower rating than one star. What they did was criminal. What they did was corrupt. What they did was fraudulent. Sorry also, I'm a student and don't have much time for things like this so its a bit rushed. I will be spreading my story on to reviews of laptop insurance sites. again, Squaretrade, this is personal ;).
on June 14, 2016
About a year and a half into owning my HP Chromebook 14, I noticed that there was something under the track pad that was swollen or something. I can't even close it completely. I never dropped it, and if someone else did, I don't know about it (I have the accidental drop protection even if it was dropped) That area on the laptop's frame was bulging upward. On top of that, the battery will not hold a charge and wont work without being connected to the charger. I saw that the battery wasn't working and there was something swollen in the computer, so I discontinued use immediately.

Square Trade refuses to fix it, saying that the battery isn't covered because it's "consumable". Important thing to not about this Chromebook is that they aren't user accessible - if you opened up a Chromebook to work on it, you would void the manufacturer's warranty. It isn't a matter of buying a new battery and just popping it into place. How can an integrated battery be considered consumable or an accessory?

So, since I refuse to use this out of fear of it being a fire hazard, I can either buy a new Chromebook or buy a new battery and then hire a professional to install it. I put in a ticket and Amazon had Square Trade contact me with a note that said I was dissatisfied with my service. My only response was three days later, and it was only a copy pasted summary of how to file a claim. Square Trade, do you know how insulting that is? How could I be unhappy with my service if I hadn't already filed a claim? I replied back and haven't gotten an answer as of yet. I paid $50 for this warranty, and it has been nothing but a nightmare. I call to file a claim, and the rep tells be that I'll have to be the one to call back and check on it. Do you know how troublesome that is when you call a place that will connect you to a different rep every time? I call back, and find out they have closed my claim, so they had to reopen it. Finally get it sorted out by repeating the same information over and over, and send them the laptop, only for them to say they won't fix it.

I would give this zero stars, but sadly that isn't an option.
review image review image
on November 26, 2016
This is the 3rd laptop I have had this protection on, I wouldn't want to have a laptop without this. My previous laptop, I spilled a large cup of very sweet coffee all over the keyboard, it went inside the laptop, it was ruined. I contacted Square Trade, they sent a postage paid return box, they let me know they received it 2 days later. They attempted to repair it but couldn't get parts in a reasonable amount of time so they cut me a check for the amount I originally paid for the laptop. I contacted them to ask what would happen to the hard drive, I wasn't asking for it back, I just wanted to be assured that they would at least delete the data on it, all of my information was on it. A few days later I received a package, it contained my hard drive! I don't know if that is standard procedure, but I'll say that I am thrilled beyond belief to have that hard drive in my possession. I have used Square Trade for cameras and MP3 players as well. Thank you Square Trade for being there for me.
on October 13, 2016
This is the worst experience that I have ever had with a product. Amazon clearly did not perform any due diligence before permitting this vendor to sell products on their website. I have had such an awful experience that I will never purchase another computer from Amazon ever again.

I purchased a Lenovo laptop from Amazon and was duped into purchasing a 3-year warranty. At the time of purchase I received an offer from Amazon to purchase an extended warranty from Square Trade. Shortly after the purchase the computer stopped working. My first attempt to file a warranty claim was denied because Square Trade indicated it was a problem that would be covered under the Manufacturer's warranty and that I needed to contact Lenovo. After several calls to Square trade they reluctantly agreed to acknowledge our claim and the computer was shipped to them. Based on the warranty agreement the computer was to be repaired in 3-5 business days and returned to me, The warranty also indicated that in the event the computer could not be repaired a cash payment would be provided for the replacement cost of the computer. Long story short, I still do not have a computer and SquareTrade is constantly providing us with false information about when our computer will be repaired. We have asked to speak to a manager on two separate occasions and were promised that a manager would return our phone call. Unfortunately, a manager has never returned our call. We still do not have a computer and Square Trade will not issue us a check for the replacement cost of the computer. They did refund us the price of the warranty but only because they failed to meet the contract requirements included in the warranty agreement. If you are in need of a computer. do yourself a favor and purchase it from a local retailer that provides its own warranty services.
on February 2, 2017
You never know how well these things work until you actually need it. We'd had the same laptop replaced with another insurance program and we had to send it off and wait over a month to get a replacement. Using Square Trade, we were able to use a local repair shop to get the hard drive replaced and in less than a week we were back up and running. It only took that long because it is a small shop and they had to order the hard drive.

We hadn't initially registered the product with Square Trade, but since we ordered the laptop and insurance at the same time it was easy to get it handled even a year later. Square Trade's tech support called me to verify the problem, and the process took less than two minutes. Your results may vary based on the issue and tech support operator.

The only problem I had was that I had to pay for the repair work and Square Trade would reimburse me. That's not a problem for me, but it could be for others. Also the claims team gave me the run around on how to get my reimbursement. They didn't like the receipt the shop gave me so I had to get another. The claims team got a little snippy about it too, but it was resolved. Once the claim was processed it took less than a week to get the check.

Overall, I'm pretty satisfied and would probably purchase protection through Square Trade again. Get a printed receipt. Their instructions don't tell you this, but they won't accept a hand written receipt.
on February 13, 2017
I have an HP laptop that was still under the manufacturer warranty and HP was not very helpful when the CD/DVD drive stopped working on it. 3 phone calls to HP, 2 months, and 10 call transfers later through HP customer service......I contacted Square Trade and after the first call and about 10 mins, they had me all taken care of and told me to go have it fixed and they would reimburse me. Didn't tell me I had a $$ limit or anything. I had my laptop fixed and submitted my receipt via email after taking a picture with my phone and it was accepted and approved in 1 hour and a check for my cost is in the mail. I have had Square Trade warranties in the past but never had to use them, luckily for my stuff, but they were incredibly helpful and even went beyond to help me when HP was trying to charge me money when the machine was still under warranty. I will definitely buy Square Trade warranties in the future. Great company!
on July 10, 2017
Easiest claim I have ever had to make. We purchased our chromebook just over 11 months ago, the accident protection plan expires in 3 weeks. My daughter dropped her chromebook rendering the screen absolutely useless. I filed an online claim, within hours, my claim was approved, a prepaid shipping label was emailed to me. After dropping my product off at Fed Ex, my amazon gift card code was in my inbox. I opted for the amazon gift card instead of a check because it is easier for me and I will be purchasing another chromebook on amazon so it just made sense. I usually do not buy accident protection plans or extended warranties, but the school advised us to do so when purchasing chromebooks for our middle schooler. I am glad I did and I will be purchasing one on the replacement chromebook.
on June 5, 2017
OK I wanted to wait until I actually had to use this before writing any review.

First of all the I selected the protection plan here and not the one next to the laptop on the laptop's page "do you want to add a protection plan?.... " .... the POINT of why I bring this up is that it took a few days to even CONFIRM that the protection plan was on the laptop in question. but when they finally did call back the person on the phone went above and beyond to make sure my question was answered and that I was happy (which i WAS) ... so that is minus a few points for the delay and plus a few points for the service at the end .... I do have to note that after reading this entire review you will know what I mean but I just bought another plan from Squaretrade in the past month and the question I wanted answered above went ALOT more automated and smoothly this time ... just to be clear I did not want to find out I paid for @$150 and went my $700 laptop had an issue the warranty wasn't on the laptop in question ... that's why I wanted to double check (what I was referring to in the first part of this paragraph)

On this Lenovo order, I finally called up Squaretrade after some time of troubleshooting the issue myself ... figuring I could contact Lenovo and they give me a simple solution ... that sort of thing .... ANYWAY When I called up ST, they were kind and knew what they were talking about. It was no hassle at all, and despite the fact that it took a few days to get a box to me to send my laptop out (I opted for that vs a local repair shop that may or may not be approved by ST ... that could have gotten messy ... with paying for a repair at a place that ST doesn't re-embursing me for ..) ... It was only a day or two later....

Everything seemed to be fine until say business day (after the date I got a notice the laptop arrived at the repair shop... not the date I sent it out) ... 9 ... I knew something was wrong then ... It was suppose to be fixed in 2 to 5 days but I had gotten NO NOTICE OF ANYTHING after that until I called ST 9 BUSINESS days after that "your item has been looked at an approved for a repair" email. .... After that day I did have to wait a day before getting anything back from ST though WHEN they contacted me back they kept contacting me and kept me in the loop ... I have to say the problem in my opinion was a motherboard going bad ... which is A BIG issue ... AND THAT is why the repair was taking so long but ... that few days extra of not hearing anything was annoying .... I know it says "2 to 5 business days" but I didn't want to to be a pest at business day 6 asking about it ... I figured i'd give them an extra day or two but after awhile I had to call.

Turns out my Laptop was not repairable (this was about ... a month after I sent it out which is by FAR the LONGEST I have ever had to even wait for news on what was going on) .... that is a few points off ... not sure if its ST's or the repair shop's fault but ... while I am not upset ... I am a little bit annoyed by it .....

UNLIKE some people who have a few year old laptop who apparently reading the review got less then 1/2 of the purchase price of the laptop. My 2016 Lenovo that was sent in for repairs march/April 2017 (that would have ticked me off if it went after 1 year AND I DIDN'T have the ext. warranty) ..... resulted in a check for $699.99 (the full purchase price of the laptop) which I used toward a Dell that just arrived 3 or so days ago .... and like I said I purchased another ST warranty on this laptop ....

Overall I am happy but ... A) I wish they would give part of the purchase price of the $150 warranty back since there was nearly 2+ year left on it .. but ... eh ... the warranty did get me the nearly $700 (full price) back ... even if i have to "lose" part of that $150 ... B) It was a bumpy ride at times ... things could have gone smoother though I was getting more upset at that delay + reading the bad reviews (during that delay I mentioned) ... and letting that get to me ... when ST got back to me ... they were curtious and I was happy with the service ...