Industrial Deals Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

2 Year SquareTrade Laptop Accident Protection Plan ($ 200-249.99)
Service plan term: 2 Year|Service plan covered value: $ 200-249.99|Change
Price:$53.99+ Free shipping

on October 19, 2014
I bought this plan immediately upon purchasing a new laptop. I knew that I wanted a strong warranty policy, and this came up as a recommended choice on Amazon and had really strong reviews.

After looking through the other reviews though, I found that there was some serious distortion of the results because many of the positive reviews came from people who had never had to file a claim. Because of that, I decided to do a sort of "review of the reviews" to get a better idea of the true quality of this warranty.

Here's the executive summary. More detailed results and the methods that led me to them follow:

1) Overall, the service seems hit-or-miss, though generally it seems to be more hit than miss
2) I would like to re-emphasize what the current most-helpful positive comment says: Make Sure You Know What You Are Buying.
3) The "true" starred rating of this policy is closer to three stars. Right now it is overrated, likely because SquareTrade encourages people to review their product upon purchase, before the consumer has had any real need to use it.

Details:
I sorted the comments by "most recent," because I wanted to get an up-to-date snapshot of how well they are doing. Then I went through each review, going back three months. For each review, I first classified it as "definitely filed a claim," "definitely did not file a claim," or "unclear." Then I further sorted these into "positive" (4-5 stars) "neutral" (3 stars) or "negative" (1-2 stars). When sorting into "positive" etc., I did not consider the comments, only the starred rating. More on the comments below.

First, here are the overall results:

**Definitely Filed a Claim**

Positive: 33
Neutral: 2
Negative: 4

Quantitative analysis:
_Of the people who actually used the service, about 2/3 were happy. Good, but not great.
_Only 25% of positive reviews came from people who definitely filed a claim, compared to 42% of negative reviews coming from people who definitely filed a claim, suggesting that the current starred rating is significantly too high.

Qualitative analysis:
_In all fairness, a few of the negative reviews from people who filed a claim came from people who were dissatisfied for reasons that related at least partly to their own misunderstanding of the product. Nevertheless, one or two raised some really serious issues (e.g., using inferior replacement parts)
_I would like to suggest to Amazon that they discourage SquareTrade from directing consumers to the review page immediately upon purchase. Doing so creates very muddled results.

That's all folks.
1,593 helpful votes
1,594 helpful votes
4646 comments|Report abuse
on July 28, 2015
Do not buy a plan here, I just got my laptop from repair and it looks like they beat the shit out of it. I called them and they going to see what they can do but before I ship it out there was no marks and after I got it back stuff was missing and tons of marks. They had me take photos and it doesn't boot. All Photos I put in this is stuff that they did to it and what I get everytime I load the pc
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
127 helpful votes
128 helpful votes
on April 24, 2017
I am a behavioral biology/computer science student at Johns Hopkins University, I run art/garden camp in the summer for children. Square trade is positively evil. They straight up lied to me and used their weight as a large institution to ensure that I wasn't able to do anything. Alright time for specifics, I sent my laptop in three times for the same issue--the laptop would shut off unexpectedly because of a loose screw. Every time they sent it back it would turn off within an hour. The first time was pretty bad. The second time I was near loosing it. But the third time? the third time was personal. This was of course infuriating in itself, but oh, oh nononononon it gets worse far worse. Every time I sent it I had to go through an arduous negotiation process taking upwards of two hours. More specifically, when I asked whether or not I would be able to be compensated in any way for having my laptop in transit back and forth from square trade for four months, the answer was no (this is slightly understandable but it gets worse). They failed continuously and did nothing to make up for the mistakes THEY made. The third time they sent back my device, they replaced the hardrive, yet the computer still turned off within an hour of having received it. But wait, theres more. They happened to install the wrong hardrive the second time they send back the device--they gave me a similar i7 processor but one without a turbo drive. I called on the third time furious at their service to complain. If you have a serious issue, FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT, they have people higher up in the chain--the people you are first sent to are trained to tell you no. After much arguing they told me that I would be able to talk with a manager the next day (after waiting and arguing for 2 hours). I didn't receive a call. Awesome so great of you squaretrade what good customer service ("we'll just wait them out!!"). So I waited a week or so and called back (only to have to wait for another hour). In the end they promised me 800$ for my laptop and the amount that they had made me wait, they had also violated a little something known as the Lemon law (look it up), and yes I was quite happy for a brief moment. EXCEPT AFTER HAVING SENT IN MY DEVICE THEY RESCINDED MY CLAIM!!!!! THEY SAID THAT I HAD CHANGED THE HARDDRIVE ON MY COMPUTER DEVICE!!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME MY VERY COMPLAINT WAS THAT THEY HAD PUT THE WRONG HARDRIVE BACK INTO MY DEVICE? WHAT ELSE CAN I SAY?!?!?!?---NO I DIDN'T REPLACE THE HARDRIVE?!?!? WELL APPARENTLY THATS NOT ENOUGH AND AFTER MONTHS OF WAITING WITH MY LAPTOP IN TRANSIT AND HOURS OF WAITING ON HOLD I WAS TOLD THAT NOTHING WOULD BE DONE AND THAT WHAT I HAD DONE IS BORDERLINE CRIMINAL. This was a mistake on their part. It’s obvious that they hadn't kept good records so of course when its their tech team's perspective over that of a customer, their gonna take the tech team's side. What you did was fraudulent Squaretrade. What you did was using the weight of a large institution to squash an individual. You make it purposefully difficult to get the money you deserve. Your website is not user friendly. Your customer service is trained to make it as difficult as possible. and none of you have any accountability. The mechanism that is square trade is not looking out for your best interest. Luckily I am not the most needing person and had the time to argue my case. I can only imagine how horrible this would be for a family with a real claim that does not have the time for this bureaucratic maze.

I have no reason to try and steal a hardrive from squaretrade, I simply wanted a working laptop. It is obviously in squaretrades best interest to set up a mechanism that prevents them from being predated upon by people looking to make a quick buck. It makes sense. However, because it seems they are poorly organized, it can, and will blow up on you. There is no accountability on their part and because of this I am stuck with a laptop with the wrong hardrive, that shuts off periodically, and the cherry on top was that I was accused of criminal activity. YOU GO SQUARE TRADE!! I had to run lessons that were on the computer, but because it took so long **shrugs oh well too bad that’s on you valued customer.

I wish I could give square trade a lower rating than one star. What they did was criminal. What they did was corrupt. What they did was fraudulent. Sorry also, I'm a student and don't have much time for things like this so its a bit rushed. I will be spreading my story on to reviews of laptop insurance sites. again, Squaretrade, this is personal ;).
90 helpful votes
91 helpful votes
on January 22, 2014
This review is from a person processing a claim, and that person is me. I have read many reviews on this company, but very, very few are from people who have actually processed a claim. That is telling in itself.

I wonder how many bad experiences go unnoticed with this company. SquareTrade has a good website interface with clear language. However, today I was told I would receive a call back by a supervisor, "...in 24 business hours." That was a first for me. I have an extensive past career as a technical support person and having been a manager at a phone support center for a major company as well as a trainer and quality assurance officer, I was more than a little annoyed, surprised and drawn into action. Suffice it to say, you may stop reading at the end of this paragraph and know that the rest of the story fills the details in for your amusement and perhaps the management at SquareTrade. This company failed in providing the service and communications to this end user at many points in the warranty claim cycle and the tipping point was the courteous, apparently hard working, phone support person who read scripts to great annoyance. Quite simply, SquareTrade talks the talk, but does not walk the walk. From 24 business hours to business days to business weeks, it makes little difference how much time SquareTrade says it needs to repair and ship something back if no business actually happens. In my case, the repair of my laptop.

My laptop was in receipt for 9 business days with no update other than it was to be fixed. This is my first encounter with this company and they have very clear milestones denoted in the claim process. Unfortunately, no one individual really handles your claim, follows up with the repair depot or updates the customer with delays. All seem to fall through the proverbial crack. Today, I gave them a call and spoke with Tracy in customer service. She authenticated me five different ways and then proceeded to finish her script stating she would put me on hold and check on the laptop. She came back after a few minutes and alerted me that the repair depot had to order parts and that repairs were being made and it would ship out in 2-3 business days. Wow. You have had the laptop for 9 business days, not made any update even though you said you would if there were delays, and now you have the parts in hand and still won't be able to ship it for 2-3 business days? The website indicates five business days for repair and up to 2 business days for shipping. Shame on me for not following up at 7 business days! It would seem this should be a priority for a company to repair, but perhaps not. I was going to accept that the laptop would ship out in a few days and then take unknown amount of days (up to 2) to be delivered. Then, I realized the repair takes less than a couple of hours, probably a lot less as it was just a bezel, but certainly not 2-3 business days. Why am I not getting the laptop shipped today? I asked to speak to a supervisor. Mind you, very politely and acknowledging that I was not angry at Tracy. I was told by Tracy that I would be contacted by a supervisor, "...in 24 business hours." Huh? What does that mean? Is that a fancy or sneaky way of saying 3 business days? I told her I was not happy and would take the matter up with the seller of the warranty and make it known to the world. Then, all of a sudden, Tracy says I can talk to a more senior representative. Huh? Is that a fancy way of disguising supervisors as "senior customer service reps?" I said, "Ok, please let me talk to this person." She put me on hold and then one minute later the line gets disconnected. Sound familiar? To her credit she called me back, but I had already called them back and asked to talk to Tracy and was informed there were many call centers. Not surprising to me. No authentication this time and I moved right into checking if there were any updates to the account with the new representative. He checked and nothing there. He indicated maybe Tracy had not yet posted anything to the account. Tracy was on hold while we figured this out, perhaps a bit of payback. I gave her my work number and asked if they could call me back in half an hour at that number. It must take some number of business minutes to get the call back as I have yet not heard back and it has been several regular hours.

And so the dance continues. I did not pay $99 to go dancing and spend hours on the phone. Save your hundred bucks, buy a good case, and be careful. Do this and most of the time you will get your three years and then some out of your tech. If it breaks and is not related to your handling, then it probably will do so within the manufacturers warranty period. Are extended warranties a bad idea? For laptops, I say yes. Probably for most all electronics.

Updates to follow as my claim unfolds.

UPDATE: 1/23/2014
The representative indicated they would send me an email, ask a senior representative to contact me, and nothing happened. This was yesterday.

Talking to Ashley now to ask what's up. Ashley says they have no leverage with the repair depot as they are contracted out and would I like to call them. Huh? One person calling a big company to spend more time on the phone with a company that could care less. The failure, is with communication to me from SquareTrade, the failure of the repair depot to communicate up to SquareTrade (which I could never know if that happened or not), and the failure of the systems used to process a claim. Yes, I am talking to you web communications person.

All that is needed is a fair assessment of how long things take and the reality is that it takes 2-3 times longer than they say. If it is going to take longer update the claim! Of course, it could be longer as I am still without a laptop and the repair depot approved the claim of repair on 1/8/2014.
437 helpful votes
438 helpful votes
3030 comments|Report abuse
on June 14, 2016
About a year and a half into owning my HP Chromebook 14, I noticed that there was something under the track pad that was swollen or something. I can't even close it completely. I never dropped it, and if someone else did, I don't know about it (I have the accidental drop protection even if it was dropped) That area on the laptop's frame was bulging upward. On top of that, the battery will not hold a charge and wont work without being connected to the charger. I saw that the battery wasn't working and there was something swollen in the computer, so I discontinued use immediately.

Square Trade refuses to fix it, saying that the battery isn't covered because it's "consumable". Important thing to not about this Chromebook is that they aren't user accessible - if you opened up a Chromebook to work on it, you would void the manufacturer's warranty. It isn't a matter of buying a new battery and just popping it into place. How can an integrated battery be considered consumable or an accessory?

So, since I refuse to use this out of fear of it being a fire hazard, I can either buy a new Chromebook or buy a new battery and then hire a professional to install it. I put in a ticket and Amazon had Square Trade contact me with a note that said I was dissatisfied with my service. My only response was three days later, and it was only a copy pasted summary of how to file a claim. Square Trade, do you know how insulting that is? How could I be unhappy with my service if I hadn't already filed a claim? I replied back and haven't gotten an answer as of yet. I paid $50 for this warranty, and it has been nothing but a nightmare. I call to file a claim, and the rep tells be that I'll have to be the one to call back and check on it. Do you know how troublesome that is when you call a place that will connect you to a different rep every time? I call back, and find out they have closed my claim, so they had to reopen it. Finally get it sorted out by repeating the same information over and over, and send them the laptop, only for them to say they won't fix it.

I would give this zero stars, but sadly that isn't an option.
review imagereview image
46 helpful votes
47 helpful votes
on October 13, 2016
This is the worst experience that I have ever had with a product. Amazon clearly did not perform any due diligence before permitting this vendor to sell products on their website. I have had such an awful experience that I will never purchase another computer from Amazon ever again.

I purchased a Lenovo laptop from Amazon and was duped into purchasing a 3-year warranty. At the time of purchase I received an offer from Amazon to purchase an extended warranty from Square Trade. Shortly after the purchase the computer stopped working. My first attempt to file a warranty claim was denied because Square Trade indicated it was a problem that would be covered under the Manufacturer's warranty and that I needed to contact Lenovo. After several calls to Square trade they reluctantly agreed to acknowledge our claim and the computer was shipped to them. Based on the warranty agreement the computer was to be repaired in 3-5 business days and returned to me, The warranty also indicated that in the event the computer could not be repaired a cash payment would be provided for the replacement cost of the computer. Long story short, I still do not have a computer and SquareTrade is constantly providing us with false information about when our computer will be repaired. We have asked to speak to a manager on two separate occasions and were promised that a manager would return our phone call. Unfortunately, a manager has never returned our call. We still do not have a computer and Square Trade will not issue us a check for the replacement cost of the computer. They did refund us the price of the warranty but only because they failed to meet the contract requirements included in the warranty agreement. If you are in need of a computer. do yourself a favor and purchase it from a local retailer that provides its own warranty services.
35 helpful votes
36 helpful votes
on June 12, 2012
First let's get this out of the way: you need to understand SquareTrade's warranties to appreciate them, and make appropriate decisions on them. If you understand that the value of the warranty diminishes with your repair claims, then you're OK. The point of the ST warranty is to make sure your computer runs for the duration of the warranty period OR fix or replace it up to, or until, the face value of the warranty is met. Meaning: if you have warranted the computer for $1000, and it is repaired at a repair cost of $200, your remaining warranty is only good for $800 worth of additinoal repairs or refund during the warranty period. I understand this and think it is a fair policy which helps keep pricing affordable.

My claims experience with SquareTrade is twofold. About a year into the warranty my touchscreen laptop had a screen problem. SquareTrade repaired it quickly. Unfortunately the screen still occassionally lost its touch ability, but this seemed more software based than hardware as a reboot would correct. All in all I was happy with the repair. The cost of the repair was valued at roughly $250, which seemed reasonable.

About a year after that, in a rush, I unfortunately dropped the laptop and broke it severely. I felt terrible as this is my daughter's computer which she loves. Since we had Accidental Damage protection (thought we might need it for my daughter and not for me!) I frantically called SquareTrade. My call was taken care of quickly and professionally. I sent the laptop in and in 2 days was greeted with a warranty payment equal to the face amount minus the $250 previous repair charge. This allowed me to replace my daughter's computer quickly (and with less of a wallet impact) and not have an issue with her school work.

Worked exactly as advertised by SquareTrade and I am very happy with their service. This experience will provide additional peace of mind to me should I ever need to make another claim (which I hope I do not) on any of the other items I have warranted with them.
593 helpful votes
594 helpful votes
2727 comments|Report abuse
on February 13, 2017
I have an HP laptop that was still under the manufacturer warranty and HP was not very helpful when the CD/DVD drive stopped working on it. 3 phone calls to HP, 2 months, and 10 call transfers later through HP customer service......I contacted Square Trade and after the first call and about 10 mins, they had me all taken care of and told me to go have it fixed and they would reimburse me. Didn't tell me I had a $$ limit or anything. I had my laptop fixed and submitted my receipt via email after taking a picture with my phone and it was accepted and approved in 1 hour and a check for my cost is in the mail. I have had Square Trade warranties in the past but never had to use them, luckily for my stuff, but they were incredibly helpful and even went beyond to help me when HP was trying to charge me money when the machine was still under warranty. I will definitely buy Square Trade warranties in the future. Great company!
3 helpful votes
on July 10, 2017
Easiest claim I have ever had to make. We purchased our chromebook just over 11 months ago, the accident protection plan expires in 3 weeks. My daughter dropped her chromebook rendering the screen absolutely useless. I filed an online claim, within hours, my claim was approved, a prepaid shipping label was emailed to me. After dropping my product off at Fed Ex, my amazon gift card code was in my inbox. I opted for the amazon gift card instead of a check because it is easier for me and I will be purchasing another chromebook on amazon so it just made sense. I usually do not buy accident protection plans or extended warranties, but the school advised us to do so when purchasing chromebooks for our middle schooler. I am glad I did and I will be purchasing one on the replacement chromebook.
3 helpful votes
on June 5, 2017
OK I wanted to wait until I actually had to use this before writing any review.

First of all the I selected the protection plan here and not the one next to the laptop on the laptop's page "do you want to add a protection plan?.... " .... the POINT of why I bring this up is that it took a few days to even CONFIRM that the protection plan was on the laptop in question. but when they finally did call back the person on the phone went above and beyond to make sure my question was answered and that I was happy (which i WAS) ... so that is minus a few points for the delay and plus a few points for the service at the end .... I do have to note that after reading this entire review you will know what I mean but I just bought another plan from Squaretrade in the past month and the question I wanted answered above went ALOT more automated and smoothly this time ... just to be clear I did not want to find out I paid for @$150 and went my $700 laptop had an issue the warranty wasn't on the laptop in question ... that's why I wanted to double check (what I was referring to in the first part of this paragraph)

On this Lenovo order, I finally called up Squaretrade after some time of troubleshooting the issue myself ... figuring I could contact Lenovo and they give me a simple solution ... that sort of thing .... ANYWAY When I called up ST, they were kind and knew what they were talking about. It was no hassle at all, and despite the fact that it took a few days to get a box to me to send my laptop out (I opted for that vs a local repair shop that may or may not be approved by ST ... that could have gotten messy ... with paying for a repair at a place that ST doesn't re-embursing me for ..) ... It was only a day or two later....

Everything seemed to be fine until say business day (after the date I got a notice the laptop arrived at the repair shop... not the date I sent it out) ... 9 ... I knew something was wrong then ... It was suppose to be fixed in 2 to 5 days but I had gotten NO NOTICE OF ANYTHING after that until I called ST 9 BUSINESS days after that "your item has been looked at an approved for a repair" email. .... After that day I did have to wait a day before getting anything back from ST though WHEN they contacted me back they kept contacting me and kept me in the loop ... I have to say the problem in my opinion was a motherboard going bad ... which is A BIG issue ... AND THAT is why the repair was taking so long but ... that few days extra of not hearing anything was annoying .... I know it says "2 to 5 business days" but I didn't want to to be a pest at business day 6 asking about it ... I figured i'd give them an extra day or two but after awhile I had to call.

Turns out my Laptop was not repairable (this was about ... a month after I sent it out which is by FAR the LONGEST I have ever had to even wait for news on what was going on) .... that is a few points off ... not sure if its ST's or the repair shop's fault but ... while I am not upset ... I am a little bit annoyed by it .....

UNLIKE some people who have a few year old laptop who apparently reading the review got less then 1/2 of the purchase price of the laptop. My 2016 Lenovo that was sent in for repairs march/April 2017 (that would have ticked me off if it went after 1 year AND I DIDN'T have the ext. warranty) ..... resulted in a check for $699.99 (the full purchase price of the laptop) which I used toward a Dell that just arrived 3 or so days ago .... and like I said I purchased another ST warranty on this laptop ....

Overall I am happy but ... A) I wish they would give part of the purchase price of the $150 warranty back since there was nearly 2+ year left on it .. but ... eh ... the warranty did get me the nearly $700 (full price) back ... even if i have to "lose" part of that $150 ... B) It was a bumpy ride at times ... things could have gone smoother though I was getting more upset at that delay + reading the bad reviews (during that delay I mentioned) ... and letting that get to me ... when ST got back to me ... they were curtious and I was happy with the service ...
1 helpful vote