Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: SquareTrade 3-Year Computer Accident Protection Plan ($900-1000)
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Tall Heights Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Water Sports

Service plan term: 3 Years|Service plan covered value: $ 900-$1000|Change
Price:$179.87+ Free shipping

on January 10, 2013
I purchased an HP Envy 17 Laptop from Amazon. After a little less than one year, I started having hard drive problems with one of the two drives. I contacted Square Trade and they were not helpful in two respects. First, they said I should use the HP warranty. In fact, they insisted that I use the HP warranty. When I told them I wanted to use them, they next said they didn't have the expertise to properly format the sophisticated hard drives of the HP Envy. Therefore, if they did repair it, I would not get it back in the same condition. What a dissappointment. I contacted HP and they took care of it (although it took awhile). I renewed my HP factory warranty for 2 more years and ate the loss on the useless "Square Trade" warranty.
33 comments| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 17, 2014
My laptop was accidentally dropped and had a cracked screen. So I called Squaretrade, the first claim they handled it really quick by sending the box within 2 days. Even though they advertise that the repair will be only within 5 days it took me over a week to get my laptop back. Upon checking my laptop, oh my there's opening on the left screen bezel and when I close and open the screen it cracked again on the top left corner. Whoever performed the repair did a very poor job and it baffled me that it took them 5 days to do a very very poor job like that! I called back and explained. They promised me they will take it back. 1st time, I waited over a week, nothing arrived, 2nd time, they promised me the box will arrive in 2 days, nothing arrive a week later. I called the third time, they kept telling me the same thing. I don't know how Squaretrade got their 5 stars review from, maybe they are all from their own employees but this service is not worth even 1 star for me. They take your money, poorly repair it once, then disappear. This service is really bad and I am a REAL customer so I advise you before purchasing Squaretrade to seriously consider it. Stay away from it!
on July 28, 2015
Do not buy a plan here, I just got my laptop from repair and it looks like they beat the shit out of it. I called them and they going to see what they can do but before I ship it out there was no marks and after I got it back stuff was missing and tons of marks. They had me take photos and it doesn't boot. All Photos I put in this is stuff that they did to it and what I get everytime I load the pc
on June 18, 2013
I got this protection for my new Acer Aspire. It took a week or more for the computer to be delivered but the Square Trade coverage began the day I purchased it. I didn't think that was right so I fought it. They put me through hell with sending them receipts and such via email and each time I didn't do something right and had to submit it again. Think it took me three tries.

Finally got that wrinkle ironed out but was so focused on the date stuff that I didn't notice they have the coverage on a HP Pavilion. I didn't buy a HP Pavilion. I contacted them to tell them they got it wrong and to check the receipts and such I sent them before. Now they want me to send them the receipts and stuff ALL OVER AGAIN.

I will NEVER buy from Square Trade again and I hope to God I never need to use their insurance. I wouldn't trust sending my computer to them for repair. Maybe that's what they are trying to do! Prevent people from using their coverage for fear of worse things happening to their computers.

Find your insurance somewhere else. This company is a hot mess.
44 comments| 68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 19, 2013
I bought this for a new Dell laptop that I was taking to France. After making sure that the plan worked outside the US, I decided to buy it.

I had problems with the laptop from day 1, so they told me they couldn't take care, because it was a factory problem. Since I was in France, I couldn't do much about it. Nor the seller, Dell or SquareTrade would do much for me.

I decided to return it and get a refund. I wished they had done something, at the end that's what you buy an insurance for!
on November 19, 2013
Getting the plan was a mistake! In order to collect, you must jump thru hoops designed to frustrate and cause you to just give up.
Never Again!!
on July 4, 2014
I filed a claim for a Samsung ATIV Windows 8 tablet after running over the backpack that it was in. The initial claim process was super easy and got the tablet back in a week, but only 1 of the 2 problems addressed. Sent it back and received it about 4 weeks later with the other problem repaired. I was left with a docking keyboard that has a very poor connection. I initially attempted contact on Facebook and email with no success to rectify this issue. Then I called and spoke to a customer service representative and spent about an hour on the phone not accomplishing anything. They would not even honor their 5 day repair guarantee (premium refund). I was told that a supervisor would call me. Nada! I sent a letter to the CEO. Nada! I have 2 other devices covered by Square Trade. I am hoping that I do not have to pull the claims trigger again! Apparently, they will generally replace devices under $500 in value. So, I would not even consider their coverage for more expensive equipment and you were really desperate.😠
on January 24, 2016
A case study in what is wrong with customer service in organizations and how it can decay as they grow. Purchased a plan for a MacBook Air for my daughter at college. She had an accident and filed a claim. They received the item on 12.28.15 at their repair depot. I had to call 3 times to find out the status of the repair over the next 3 weeks. Was told on one call and subsequent email that the item was "pending repair" and that they were awaiting parts and should be shipped out the next day. i didn't buy that but took it at face value. Was told I would get a call back within their stated 24 hours with an update. No call, no update. Finally, on 01.15.16 was emailed to tell us that the item was unrepairable and we would be refunded for the item. So, that is the good news. The check finally arrived via regular mail on 01.23.15 (the check was cut on 01.19.16). After doing some review of the original service agreement I noticed the following in Section 6, Place of Service, related to their supposed 5 business day guarantee.

"If We fail to repair, payout or replace the Product within five (5) business days of receiving it, We will continue to service Your Product and the cost of Your Protection Plan will be refunded to You at Your request." I called customer service to inquire whether the plan could be transferred to the duplicate item purchased with the reimbursement. Answer to that - no. I then inquired that I wanted a full refund of my policy amount per section 6 above. I got the typical, please hold while I go talk to my supervisor. After 18 minutes on hold the CSR basically told me that they could cancel my policy and issue me a prorated refund of $285.57 vs the original $349.99 purchase price. The CSR wanted to "educate" me on the policy by referring to Section 14, Cancellations, in that after 30 days I could only receive a prorated refund. I told him that i was not cancelling my policy, merely enacting their own provision in Section 6 related to their service "guarantee". I pointed out this to the CSR and was once again put on hold so he could go and discuss with someone else. I told him to make sure to tell his supervisor that all i wanted was a full refund per the policy agreement. If not, they would lose me as a customer (I have had 4 items with them over the past 4 years), would go to one of their competing products and would be sure to post my review on Amazon based on my experience. I also asked the CSR what the math was on the prorated amount. He had no idea. He just knows when he clicks cancel/refund it gives him a number. Nothing else. After another 5 minutes on hold he came back with the same answer.

Is all this worth $65? Not really about the money. More about the principle and testing the culture of Square Trade. Seemed more important to lecture me as a customer than to either a. provide a full refund or b. simply just apply the remaining warranty to the newly replaced item. Instead, they have traded the $65 for a lost customer, a less than stellar Amazon review, bad word of mouth to my circle of influence and a new customer to one of their competitors.

The tried to point out to the CSR to make sure he annotate all that in our call session notes. In addition, I recommended that they at very least clarify Section 6 by adding the word "pro-rated" or to refer to Section 14. Either way, a missed opportunity to build customer loyalty and keep a mutli-product customer.
on November 20, 2013
After purchasing this for a laptop I was giving to my Grandson for Christmas, I called to ask a couple of questions about activation. I found square trade's representative to be extremely rude and abrupt. Several times, because I couldn't fully understand his answers to my questions, he became condescending and abrasive. Based on this experience, I decided to cancel the plan. I can only imagine what I would have to deal with if I ever had a claim for service. The only good thing I can say about the experience is that they were prompt in refunding my money.
on March 7, 2012
My computer screen had a red line running across it and the dvd drive stopped working so I turned to my Square trade warranty and submitted a claim. The process was smooth and convenient, a third party repair company sent me a pre-paid well designed box to ship my laptop to them (2nd day delivery also!) I sent it, it took only about a week to get it back. I was so excited that it had all gone so well....UNTIL...I turned the computer on and the line was still there. Disappointing and I feel a little betrayed and cheated. I called the repair company and they are sending another box and now I'll be inconvenienced for another week (or more if they don't fix it again). I think they should reconsider their contract with the repair company if the repair company can't SEE that there is still a line on the screen that they are supposed to have fixed.
55 comments| 55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse