Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 358 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 422 reviews
on October 20, 2014
I just received my Squier Strat HSS today from Amazon & I have to say that I am a bit disappointed. While still decent guitars for the money (and for guitar students), the new ones are simply not as good as the ones from 2012. Back in 2012, I ordered a Squier Bullet Strat HSS (Brown Sunburst), also from Amazon, & was quite impressed with the quality of it. So much so, in fact, that a couple of weeks later, I ordered another one as a backup. I'm definitely glad I did that at the time, because the new ones are built to a lesser standard. Aside from the sound, there was virtually no difference in quality between that HSS & my Squier Standard Stratocaster (Cherry Sunburst) that I bought that same year.

Today, when I took my new Black Squier Strat HSS out of the box, I immediately noticed that it felt lighter. So, I put it on the scale & it weighed 6.0 pounds. I then put my older Brown Sunburst HSS on the scale & it read 7.8 pounds. I plugged the new guitar into the amp, set the volume to the same level as the older one, & noticed that the humbucking pickup did not sound as "fat" or loud as the old one. I think they are now using cheaper potentiometers. On a positive note, the new HSS pickups are quieter than the old ones with virtually no humming. Looking at the pickup covers, the new ones have some small holes on the covers (probably to allow a tool to grip it during installation). Not to nit-pick, but there was also a drop of solder that had fallen onto the pickguard & a bit on the side of one of the tone knobs. At least the pickguard had clear plastic over it, so the solder came off when I removed the plastic. However, it remains on the tone knob. The volume knob & both tone knobs do not turn as smoothly as the older ones. The older HSS knobs had a nice smooth feel to them when turned. The knobs, on the new one, do not glide as smoothly & generally have a cheap feel to them when turned.

It's interesting to note that the newer Squier HSS (at least this one) is made in Indonesia & the ones from 2012 were made in China. Several years ago, much of the guitars being made in Asia were coming from Indonesia & South Korea. These days, it's usually China. And in general, I have found that the older Indonesian made guitars (Fender, Epiphone, & Yamaha) were of a higher quality. But such is not the case here, and I can only conclude that Fender (Squier) has made a cost-cutting move & are now using cheaper materials. Even my Fender Starcaster guitar (from 2010) has a higher quality feel to it than this new HSS. Being a fairly small person (154 pounds), I liked the Starcaster & Bullet Strats because of their slightly smaller size & weight (compared to the standard models). But I'm afraid the new ones are just a little too light & feel a bit too cheap. Although still a good student guitar, I have to say that they are just not the fantastic bargains that they used to be. You are no longer getting more than what you paid for. 3 Stars for the new ones, 4.5 for the old ones.
on December 11, 2014
This is a physically beautiful guitar, handles well, arrived in pristine condition... and when my neighbor heard it played she was highly complimentary of how good it sounded. For around $100 there ir probably no better guitar buy on the market-- an official Fender and the quality that represents.

When I first received it and tuned it up I actually regretted buying it. Ewww it sounded awful. I forgot the maxim of buying new guitars: give the strings time to settle. By that evening and a few stretch-in tunings later, even the factory-provided strings sounded wonderful and I was VERY pleased with the purchase. I can only imagine how good it will sound when I put my favorite strings on this guitar... as those strings typically make any guitar I've ever used sound twice as good as off-the-shelf.

I have never once bought an off-the-shelf guitar that didn't require adjusting. This guitar was an exception. The action was good straight out of the box. The neck is perfectly straight, the frets are all aligned properly. There is literally nothing I can find on this Strat that needed modding. That comes as a significant and pleasant surprise.

Some folks report their guitars came in dinged or scratched or other significant problems. After seeing this I wouldn't settle for that; this guitar arrived double-box protected and there's no reason this model should be in less than excellent condition. Even at this price, I'd insist on the quality for which Fender is known.

So from where I'm sitting strumming this stunning beauty of a guitar: 5 stars... and what a fantastic buy! I don't think one could even come close to this quality in an off-the-line instrument anywhere near this price... and the Fender Strat sound comes with it. : )

What I'd do with this: if you're satisfied with the sound, don't touch it. However if you want a killer guitar for very little money, replace the single pickups with lipsticks, P-90 single-slots, or single-slot rod humbuckers. That would be an extra investment of $20 to $30 and worth every penny.
on February 19, 2015
The best guitar I have ever played dont listen to any negative reviews I got this guitar sounding better than real fender strat just a few adjustmants with the neck and the bridge there ard plenty of videos on you tube to do this its absolutely incredible I plan on buying at least 3 more ive been playing guitar for 30 years an I i can honestly say this guitar has the best tone ive ever heard it took about 1 hour to adjust everything the way I like it. for you might like it just the way it is I have a usa fender strat and I can't believe the bullet has better tone and action buy this guitar the best 100 dollars ive ever spent
on April 25, 2015
I could say for a guitar that costs less than $100 it sounds really good, but it sounds and plays REALLY GOOD no matter what the cost. Playing through a Marshall 15R amp. Eventually want to upgrade the tuners and put some Seymour Duncan Cool Rails on it. Take it from a good $99 guitar to a great guitar that would probably run ten times the cost for just a few hundred dollars more.
on March 9, 2017
Still a beginner, but the HSS seems sturdy. Was easy to tune and play a few chords on until my amp died on me (it was old, and cheap, and sadly lived a less than fulfilling life), I'll edit this in a few months when I get better and know what I'm actually doing.

Only reason for 4/5 stars is a tiny little imperfection in the pick guard, smaller than the size of an eraser, and only noticeable up close and from a certain angle - too insignificant to warrant the hassle of returning.

Edited to add photos and the HSS bit.
review image review image review image review image
on August 21, 2015
I love this strat. Artic White HSS. It is light weight and the tone is great. I have been gigging since I was 14 and I am 57 now. I have too many guitars and amps to list. But I will say I have lots of Fender strats.. the real ones. I also have quite a few Squiers. Can it compare to a $1000 or $2000 guitar? I think it depends on what you are comparing. Brand new strats used to cost $325 back in the mid 70s and a Les Paul was in the $500 range. Times have changed!

I'm glad I am not saying this on a the strat or tele forum or I would get flamed. I have been leaving my expensive guitars at home for years and gigging with Squiers. I used to sand the Squier name off and play with a blank headstock. I don't even do that anymore. I love it when musicians ask me if it really is a Squier when I walk off stage for a break.

Let me explain why I love the Squier Bullet Strats. My first strat was a 1965 Fender strat and I have played it to death since 1970. I have always tried to find a strat that came close to feel and weight and sound of my 1965. Those were made from basswood, I think, and are feather weight.

None of the Fender strats over the years have compared to my 65. Fender changed the neck shape, the body thickness and size etc. The first time I picked up a Squier strat was just for kicks at a local guitar center 4 or 5 years ago just to see how crappy it was.....BIG SURPRISE. It was the first time a strat felt like my pride and joy 1965.

I have been using Squiers ever since. Sometimes I play them stock. Sometimes I will switch in my good pickguard that has high quality pickups. I tend to change the nut to a graph tech nut. Strat tone that we all know. I know how to work on guitars so these cheap instruments work for me..... I consider them a tool like a mechanic would his wrench. I have no emotional connection to these guitars, they are cheap workhorses for me. Love'm.

My latest Squier Bullet has seen almost 2 months of rehearsals and gigs STOCK. This evening I put a Graph Tech nut on it. I play it strung with .10s or .11s tuned 1/2 step down. No issues with the neck bowing under tension with the heavier strings...the trussrod works.

.11s require an additional spring on the trem. That's it. I'll probably be buying a couple more this year as I sell off some gear.
on March 4, 2017
This is my most recent guitar purchase and it's now the seventh (including my bass) in my current small collection . I've been playing for years. I wanted a Strat with a humbucker and I can't afford an American Strat. I bought this guitar with the intention of gradually changing out any inferior hardware and, over time, I'd have another really nice guitar. I may still do that - it remains to be seen. But this review is directed more to the new or intermediate guitarist. It amazes me that a guitar this inexpensive can sound and play as well as this Squire does! I have a Fender Strat that cost a LOT more (purchased in financially better days) and this guitar's playability and tone are mighty close in comparison. No, it doesn't have the Fender name on the headstock. If that matters to you, you're probably not reading Squire reviews anyway. But to summarize my feelings on the guitar: Would I gig with it? In a HEARTBEAT! And I can buy SEVEN MORE of these before I spend the equivalent amount of ONE American Strat.
on December 24, 2015
The fit and finish was great for a guitar at this price .. BUT.. the intonation (tuning as you play up the fret board) was so far off it is unusable. The bridge is adjustable and I was able to get the 12th fret in tune at an octave above the open string, but moving up the fret board the notes were variably sharp a little or off so much it hurt to hear it. It seems some of the frets are placed out of position.
on July 22, 2015
Just received the sunburst Squier BulletStrat HSS and I can't see how Fender creates a guitar with that level of quality and finish for the money. I bought this guitar for practice just to save wear-and-tear on my more expense guitar and to be honest, it sounds and looks just as good as my more expensive guitar. Just tune and play, the sound is outstanding and the setup (intonation and string height) is just about perfect. I highly recommend this guitar for beginners and professionals as well. The nice thing about this guitar is that it is 2-3 pounds lighter than the standard Stratacaster making it easier to play, especially for beginners. Though I don't have the ear that I used to, I can't tell the difference between this guitar and a more expense Strat. Buy it, you'll not regret this guitar for the money.
on February 5, 2012
I bought this a month ago, and let me tell you, I don't regret anything. I honestly don't know how they are selling this for only $120, and to be exact, I only paid $119.00 with free 2-day shipping. It arrived quickly. It doesn't come with any accessories besides the tremolo arm (whammy bar) and tools for adjusting the truss rod and a wrench for adjusting the screws on the saddles for string height.

The finish on this thing is beautiful. The neck feels great, and I've heard some complaints about the frets being too sharp, which might be true for some of these, but I didn't have that problem. I didn't need to set the action or anything, though the intonation was wonky -- an easy thing to fix. Even if you ordered a USA Strat, you might have to set it up a little bit since guitars tend to get dinked up in the box during transit, so they often won't be in the same setup as they were in the factory conditions. The sound you can get out of this thing is just incredible. The only real upgrade I would suggest would be some locking tuners of your choice, but of course, the tuners are always the one part that is cheapest made on guitars in this price range, so if you do that, you're pretty much good to go. It stays in tune even when you use the trem arm for a bit.

The finish was flawless save for one small little area on the side of the lower horn; it's so tiny that you literally have to try to see it to notice it being there. The neck has a nice little coat of polyurethane on it, so no fancy vintage tint gloss or anything, but it still feels smooth enough to be really comfortable to play. The pickguard is a simple 1-ply one, which used to be an issue back in the 50's since they were prone to bowing, but due to modern better plastics being used, it's not an issue with today's guitars.

The pickups aren't any $100 Texas Specials or anything, but they still sound full and warm. You can get the same classic Strat tones as intended with the stock pickups. You can expect the typical 60-cycle hum which is synonymous with most single coils when playing in an area with fluorescent lighting and monitors of some sort, but the middle pickup is reverse-wound/reverse-polarity so when you switch to pickup switch positions 2 and 4, you get a hum-canceling effect.

I don't care if you're a beginner or someone who's been playing for decades, this is one damn good axe. Like I said, my mind is blown that such a fine-quality instrument is priced like this. Pick this up for your friend, your spouse, your dad, your kid, doesn't matter, this is top quality here. Squier has been stepping their game up in recent times. Even their "low-end" axes are beast.