Similar authors to follow
See more recommendations
About Sriram Subramanian
Customers Also Bought Items By
- Learn how to leverage critical SDN technologies for OpenStack Networking APIs via plugins and drivers
- Champion the skills of achieving complete SDN with OpenStack with specific use cases and capabilities only covered in this title
- Discover exactly how you could implement cost-effective OpenStack SDN integration for your organization
Networking is one the pillars of OpenStack and OpenStack Networking are designed to support programmability and Software-Defined Networks. OpenStack Networking has been evolving from simple APIs and functionality in Quantum to more complex capabilities in Neutron.
Armed with the basic knowledge, this book will help the readers to explore popular SDN technologies, namely, OpenDaylight (ODL), OpenContrail, Open Network Operating System (ONOS) and Open Virtual Network (OVN).
The first couple of chapters will provide an overview of OpenStack Networking and SDN in general. Thereafter a set of chapters are devoted to OpenDaylight (ODL), OpenContrail and their integration with OpenStack Networking. The book then introduces you to Open Network Operating System (ONOS) which is fast becoming a carrier grade SDN platform. We will conclude the book with overview of upcoming SDN projects within OpenStack namely OVN and Dragonflow.
By the end of the book, the readers will be familiar with SDN technologies and know how they can be leveraged in an OpenStack based cloud.
What you will learn
- Understand how OVS is used for Overlay networks
- Get familiar with SDN Controllers with Architectural details and functionalities
- Create core ODL services and understand how OpenDaylight integrates with OpenStack to provide SDN capabilities
- Understand OpenContrail architecture and how it supports key SDN functionality such as Service Function Chaining (SFC) along with OpenStack
- Explore Open Network Operating System (ONOS) – a carrier grade SDN platform embraced by the biggest telecom service providers
- Learn about upcoming SDN technologies in OpenStack such as Dragonflow and OVN
About the Author
Sriram Subramanian is an experienced professional with over 19 years' experience of building networking and network management products. Since 2011, Sriram has been working with Juniper Networks, leading engineering teams responsible for OpenStack Neutron plugins, VMware integration, and network management products. He is a technologist with a passion for virtualization and cloud networking. Sriram blogs regularly at http://www.innervoice.in/blogs and loves experimenting with new technologies and programming. He is the author of OpenStack Networking Cookbook, Packt.
Sreenivas Voruganti is presently driving IoT solutions at Aricent. He previously led engineering teams responsible for building networking, wireless LAN, and SDN products at Juniper Networks. He has contributed to building a range of IP and ATM-based Telco products at Lucent Technologies, Tellabs, and BHEL.
He is an avid student of emerging trends in networking and virtualization technologies and is passionate about integrating them to deliver solutions. His current interests include IoT, SDN, and NFV.
He is an inventor and has US Patent grants on networking, QoS, and wireless.
Table of Contents
- OpenStack Networking in a Nutshell
- Introduction to Software-Defined Networking
- SDN Protocols
- SDN Networking with Open vSwitch
- Getting Started with OpenDayli
Harness the power of OpenStack Networking for public and private clouds using 90 hands-on recipes
About This Book
- Build and manage virtual switching, routing, and firewall-based networks in OpenStack using Neutron
- Develop plugins and drivers for Neutron to enhance the built-in networking capabilities
- Monitor and automate OpenStack networks using tools like Ceilometer and Heat
Who This Book Is For
This book is aimed at network and system administrators who want to deploy and manage OpenStack-based cloud and IT infrastructure. If you have basic knowledge of OpenStack and virtualization, this book will help you leverage the rich functionality of OpenStack Networking in your cloud deployments.
What You Will Learn
- Operate OpenStack Networking for public and private clouds
- Configure advanced routing services for your workloads
- Secure data traffic using firewall-as-a-service capabilities of OpenStack
- Discover how to leverage VXLAN to implement SDN in your OpenStack cloud
- Monitor the virtual networks using Ceilometer
- Develop plugins to enhance and customize OpenStack Networking
- Provide HA and VPN connectivity for your virtual machines
- Troubleshoot and solve common problems with OpenStack Networking
Networking in OpenStack has evolved from Nova Network to Neutron. This has resulted in a rich suite of networking services available to OpenStack users and administrators. Advanced services such as routers, firewall, and load balancers use building blocks such as network and subnets. Recent improvements support powerful customization using plugins. The evolution of Neutron continues as it integrates with tools like Ceilometer and Heat.
This book will explore the built-in capabilities of Neutron to effectively deploy cloud solutions. You will begin with the most fundamental constructs of OpenStack Networking for switching and routing. You will then learn how to provide your tenants with services like firewalls and load-balancers. The step-by-step recipes will help you configure and troubleshoot networking problems in your cloud. This book will also introduce you to advanced topics like Ceilometer, Heat, and other upcoming tools in OpenStack
Style and approach
The book is full of step-by-step recipes to configure and manage the networking aspects of your OpenStack cloud. In addition to covering basic configuration involved in OpenStack Networking, the books also shares various troubleshooting tips and techniques. As much as possible the book uses OpenStack dashboard (Horizon) to help the user get a feel of real OpenStack Networking