Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Stamina Pilates Premier XP Reformer
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now

on December 16, 2006
I have over 7,000 hours of experience teaching on studio quality, spring-loaded Pilates equipment. In the last years that I taught professionally, I cut down my insane teaching schedule by teaching group classes on these machines.

They are safer than spring-loaded reformers because of the bungee cords--springs snap back. Bungee cords will move, but not with the kind of propulsive, really dramatic force you see in springs. Over and over again, I watched students do things on these reformers that would have injured them on spring-loaded equipment.

In my own practice, lack of attention has caused a moment or two of real danger; the worst thing that happened was a flying bungee cord cutting the upholstery.

Safety aside, these provide enough resistance for a really good workout. They are big enough that anyone under 6'2" can do all of the exercises, with the exception of the Semi-Circle, which is a more intermediate exercise anyway. Students with knee and hip injuries reported that they were more comfortable on these machines, possibly because the bungee cords provide less resistance.

Also, these reformers do what reformers were designed to do: in two hour-long workouts a week, these machines increased flexibility, improved back pain and dramatically changed the shape of bodies, just like studio quality equipment would. (Yes, Virginia, there is a way to get rid of saddlebags without lipo.)

Finally, unlike some other pieces of non-studio quality equipment, I can unequivocally recommend these for even very fit men. The runners, bikers and hunters in my classes really found the machine workouts challenging.

Cons: I have never been able to get replacement parts. You will need two people or one man over six feet to move each machine. Attempt to fold them up again at your own peril. Lock them away from children, or vice versa--even bungee cords can cut.
1919 comments| 115 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 2, 2006
A little larger and heavier than I expected, but a solid home Pilates reformer. As someone who has been taking classes in a Pilates studio with professional-grade reformers, this comes as close as possible -- and for about 10% of the price of a studio-quality reformer.

It's versatile, easy to use (once you figure out the sparse instructions on how to set it up) and the cords provide some serious resistance and a good, thorough workout.

The one complaint I have is that the wheels don't seem to be in the proper position to actually function. Then again, if the manual weren't so minimalist, I might have been able to figure out what, if anything, I'm doing wrong.
on November 1, 2006
This reformer is good as a home reformer. It is easy to use and setup is easy. However, it is not a professional reformer. It is somewhat shorter than a professional one. It lacks a few features like an adjustable footbar. I had to purchase optional accessories like a stand, box, rebounder and pole. These cost a few hundred dollars, all together. It would be more cost effective to get one with a stand and rebounder. If you are tall or long legged, you will sometimes feel cramped using this one.
on November 13, 2007
I purchased the Stamina Pilater Premier about 6 months ago and decided to return to Amazon and offer my review of the product since I rely on Amazon Review when gathering information for a new purchase.

I use the Pilates frequently and think is it an excellent product. This is my first experience with Stamina and I find the quality of their product excellent. It is well made, heavy enough to be stable during exercising, and has all the bells and whistles needed for a good workout. The Owner's Manual is easy to follow and they include an exercise guide that I have found very useful.

Stamina (made in China) has given thought to the 'to be used in the home' aspect as the machine is large enough and not too large for use in the bedroom and storage under the bed at night. My only difficulty, which has been solved, is it stands on 4 rubber feet that do not slide easly across the carpet. I purchased a set of 'furniture movers' for about $10 and placed 1 under each foot which results in rubber on rubber plus a smooth plastic suface to allow the pilates to slide easily across the carpet when moving it.

I give a top rating to this product without hesitation.
on August 30, 2007
I have to say, I am very pleased with this equipment. I read the reviews on Amazon, which really helped me to decide which machine to choose. I have been taking pilates off and on for over 5 years, and very consistently in this last year. This reformer really is a great representative of the machines in the private pilates gyms. The tension is fantastic, and I was worried it wouldn't be enough. It was pretty easy to put together (my husband did it, but it took him 20 minutes) and it's really not to hard to roll out and use. Admittedly, I do not fold it up, because it is heavy, but I can roll it out myself. I LOVE having this reformer! I was taking private class 3 times a week, and I loved how I looked, but now I can keep that up myself and save a TON of money (those classes are not cheap). I am glad I did have professional training, though, because I really know what to do by myself now, and with the help of the included chart. This is a great buy.
on April 23, 2009
High quality, good looking and has smooth operation. It also comes with an excellent dvd workout with an instructor who is pleasant and clear in how to do all the exercises correctly. It is very easy to assemble as it is almost complete right out of the box, just unfold and add the wooden end caps. I'm new to pilates, but so far after three weeks I am still enjoying myself and getting stronger. It takes up kind of a lot of room on the floor but I recently discovered that I can stand it up on its end against the wall when I'm not using it and it takes up no space at all. One thing I will mention is that I purchased this model because it was inexpensive and I wasn't sure how much I would like pilates. This is an excellent machine, but this company also makes some models with raised legs and a raised bar for the pulleys. In doing the exercises I have really noticed that there is some limited range of motion in some moves because everything is so low to the floor. If you are serious about pilates and can afford the expense and floorspace, I would recommend the larger, raised model that Stamina makes and is featured in the dvd. This seems like something I will get years of use out of, I'm really pleased with my purchase.
on March 24, 2009
As a physical therapist, I can vouch for the sturdiness and smooth, versatile function of this machine. I recommend it to all of my clients if they have the space. As I said, sturdy and well made. My other machine is the Pilates Reformer. A+
on September 21, 2008
I hesitated to open the box and put the machine together, somewhere I remembered reading that it was a little complicated and I wasn't in the mind frame to deal with anything challenging. But when I finally did, it was pretty much already together. I just had to unfold it, add the wood onto the ends, and insert the bar and the head cushions, which was a matter of taking them out of the plastic and literally inserted the parts and Wha-la. This is a very high quality and solid product and a great buy for the price. I really like the tension cord assembly, again, it wreaks of high quality. This is truly in alignment with the professional machines. Bravo to this company for caring and keeping it quality alive without overpricing the product.
on November 6, 2010
I've taught classes on both Stott and Allegro professional equipment, and if it had not been for the excellent reviews on this product, I would have assumed that a reformer at this price would be a piece of junk. As others have mentioned, I was able to drag it down the basement stairs and assemble it myself in about 10 minutes. (If yours comes off the track while unfolding the machine, re-fold it so the wheels will go right back into the track.) I'm very impressed with how sturdy, smooth, and quiet this reformer is. The DVD that comes with it offers a very good all-over workout, and the instructor is very clear with directions. (The DVD features the upgraded Aero pilates machine. From what I can see, the difference is that the more expensive model is higher off of the ground, the ropes are at a higher level, and it has a jump board. There are a couple of exercises where the ropes on the Premier model are very close to the body, but to me it's not worth paying $500 more.)

This machine is compact enough to move around easily, and yet it is sturdy enough to give me a really good professional style pilates workout. I am thrilled with this purchase and I love that I can finally afford to have a reformer in my own home. I also purchased the box and pole so I could add those exercises to my workout, and I ordered a separate set of double loops to change out the handles that this comes with. (The handles work ok for me, but my husb. can't stand having his feet in them.)

This is a fantastic piece of exercise equipment!
on August 29, 2009
I am very happy with this pilates reformer and it is a great value for the money. I have been taking pilates classes with the very expensive spring reformers.
I decided to order this because I wanted to do pilates more often and am very pleased with the bungee cords; and in fact, prefer this workout to the springs. The one downside is that when I am laying down on the platform doing leg exercises, I cannot do them as well on this reformer because the cords will rub against my neck if I try to pull my legs straight down. However, I find that a minor inconvenience.