HPC Warlight Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc CMA Fest Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

Showing 1-10 of 443 reviews(4 star). See all 3,523 reviews
on August 30, 2014
Note that this is the "author's cut", a re-release of the original, which was published (I believe) in 1978. Stephen King is up front about this being his "original" version. I would recommend to just read the original version, which I still feel was one of the best of his novels. This version has a lot of material that does not add to the story or to the character development. In addition. it's annoying (to me) that although he claims this is from his original version, it contains material that clearly post-dates the original, like references to movies and political figures from the 1980s and 1990s. There's even an oblique reference to A Prayer for Owen Meany, by John Irving. He's just sneaking in new crap for the sake of selling yet another version.
However, if you have never read The Stand and you pick up this one out of the line up, you won't know the difference and it is a great story.
3 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse
I've been reading Stephen King for awhile now, and finally got around to reading this, his book with perhaps the best reputation. King's apocalyptic novel certainly delivers.

This novel has three basic, the Outbreak, the Rebuild, and the Confrontation. The outbreak is easily the best part, as King explains how humanity was decimated by a super-flu virus. The amount of nightmare fuel in this chunk of the book is mind-blowing. The other two sections are interesting, but not in the same way. Rebuild shows how the surviving characters, who you should hopefully care about, attempt to put society back together in Colorado, while societies outcasts and villains do the same in Las Vegas. It also puts you inside the head of the stories villains in the best possible way. If you like the characters and the world building, you may like this section even more than the first. Finally, the last section has the heroes take a, dare I say it, 'Stand' against the forces of darkness.

So, why the one star off? Well, while I did like this expanded addition, I will admit it could have been shorter without missing much. This especially hits the last third of the book hard, where half of what happened after the climax could have been cut. The book also had a classic problem of having side characters with far more personality the the heroes. Fortunately, most of the heroes own chapters focus heavily on the side characters, so it doesn't hold them back much.

Overall, definitely a great King book. Buy it now!
One person found this helpful
on October 23, 2017
Worth taking time to read. Terrific story. Sometimes very creepy and sometimes more violent than I want to read (reading violent details is more impacting than watching a dramatization of it), other times the novel is very insightful and beautiful. The TV mini series of The Stand that I first watched years ago did cover more of the actual novel than I thought (I saw the TV mini series many years ago and also saw it again right after reading the book - only a few characters and situations are different - the mini series just goes by a lot faster - pretty good cast for the mini series too, btw, for the characters and I love that Stephen King is a minor unnamed character for a while in the mini series too).

The audio book narrator is awesome. I liked the option to read, read with narrator, or just listen then pick up right where I left off with Kindle app weather in my car or at home.

This version of the book has some very long descriptive text - some didn't seem necessary but I still really enjoyed the novel. The story is great - it really brings to light Stephen Kings Bible and spiritual understanding from his background. Though there is some sneering attitudes about organized religion (from author's point of view, not just a character's) and there are some scenes in the novel that include sexually immorality and also demented violence I'd rather not have read about (that were not included in the TV mini series) - there are parts that really speak well towards faith that a Christian reader will recognize and appreciate (at least 30% of the story will resonate well with a Christian reader).
on May 9, 2016
20-odd years ago I had this book around but didn't get around to reading it. My response to King's work has been quite varied - some has totally grabbed me, other books I haven't bothered to buy. Currently I love the TV series Haven and will probably binge rewatch the whole thing at some point, though I've had a mixed record with binge rewatches, the most notable fail being Firefly, which could have been a 3 day binge of that tragically short series. Some years back I watched the wonderful ensemble miniseries based on this book, taped so I could watch it during insomnia nights not spent working (serious computer geek) or net surfing. That series stuck with me enough to motivate me to buy the book - and when I find time to finish A Dance with Dragons this will be my next epic read.
on September 25, 2016
The Stand is one of Stephen King's most popular and highest-rated books, and with good reason. It is an amazing and epic story, and in typical Stephen King style, there is so much interesting back-story that you become invested in the characters and plot, and you will not want to put it down. It is over a thousand pages long, but even so, I wished it would never end. The only reason I did not give it five stars is due to a recurring flaw in King's style, which is, in researching for a book, he will wonder what the word is for some rare thing, find JUST THE RIGHT WORD, and then over-use that word throughout the book, and subsequent books. So, a word that I have never heard in my entire life, now suddenly I am reading eleven times in one book. This book must have been written before he found the words "knee-hole" and "isinglass", though, because those are in almost every book he writes. Even so, this book is a masterpiece.
6 people found this helpful
on May 31, 2012
Im not going to give you a 7 page novel of a review here, thats been done, many times over already. Instead I'll just give you my thoughts on the book. I began reading it because it's a book many fan's consider to be king's best work. Frankly, I like it, but I wouldn't even put this close to my top favorite King works, although that in no way is a bad thing, Mr. King just has many good books. I'd have to say, my biggest issue with this book is the characters. I didn't really care for anyone but Stu or Larry, and I didn't really see myself caring about stu until towards the end, only for one scene. (You'll know it when you get there). The biggest mistep is flag. Such a good protaganist that had so much more potential than he was used for in this novel. again, I'm not going to really give anything away, but honestly, I thought the resolution was weak as well. Why do i still give it four stars? because for those complains I still enjoyed the book, even though I feel the characters could have been better, the resolution better, I still enjoyed the ride as a whole. The destination doesn't matter, it's the journey that does. Pick this one up, you'll for sure find it's not perfect, but its still a fun read, and I don't know about you, but i read to be entertained. This book does that job quite nicely
3 people found this helpful
on May 9, 2013
The Stand was highly recommended to me by someone who is a diehard Stephen King fan and a lifetime, devoted reader; this novel being her all time favorite. Consequently, I decided to take on the task of reading the 1,100 plus page novel. I was instantly drawn in by the affects of a super flu, eliminating 99% of the world population, and the after affects that ultimately led to The Stand between good and evil. The characters become near and dear to the reader and Mr. King most certainly achieves what he sets out to when each personality takes on a life of its own and the reader desperately cheers on the good guys and shudder at the mere thought of the danger and destruction the dark man continues to bring to the story. A minor disappointment in the novel was the manner by which the story concludes. I would have much preferred more character development of the survivors. The dangerous journey to get back to Boulder was edge-of-the-seat anticipation; however, the conclusion just seemed to fall flat. Overall, The Stand is a magnificent work by a very accomplished writer.
One person found this helpful
VINE VOICEon July 28, 2012
My rambling thoughts....what an intense story that caused me to flinch every time a coworker, friend or family member coughed or sneezed nearby. In a nutshell, an accident at an Army lab doing experiments in biological warfare, causes a virus to break through its isolation confinements. Everyone working at the facility dies rather quickly, except one worker, a security guard, Charlie Champion, who manages to rush home, grab his family and head out of town -- rather out of state, but not before contaminating them. Along the way they contaminate others who cross their paths, and those people infect others and so on and so on until over 99% of the world's population is exterminated. Of course, Charlies family dies an awful death as exhibited by their bloated smelly corpses.

Fast forward -- The survivors begin to have vivid dreams which draw and divide them into (2) camps -- good versus evil -- a 108 year-old black woman in Nebraska, Mother Abagail representing the "good", and the Dark Man, Randall Flagg, an evil force in Las Vegas rallying the "bad". Not everyone mentally equipped or ready to be lone survivors on Earth, but each group recognizing that the opposing group is threatening the others survival.

More rambling thoughts - I liked the book, but after the first 1/3, it became easier to put the book down, and read other books in between. There were just so many characters in this cautionary tale, but I did like I was able to get good feeling about the psyche of several of the characters. As a reader I felt like I understood what motivated them to act the way they did. I also liked the way King positioned them to come together later in the novel. I can understand why it is considered probably one of King's best works, but after I was finished I had a hard time deciding how to rate this book. It's very well written, but it's not my favorite Stephen King book -- the ending wasn't a surprise for either.

Overall rating - 4/5 stars
on August 25, 2016
I read this again for the second time. I have such admiration for King. He does not disappoint. This is a long book with many characters ...sometimes,I was confused because I could not remember the back story of some characters. Nonetheless, King introduces such wonderful characters and allows them to develop so carefully. This book is a character study of many. I so enjoyed how the characters came together as either good or evil. King draws you into loving many and hating some. My only complaint was the climax was a bit anticlimactic. Somehow, I wanted it to be greater...even this second time around. All in all, a great story of good versus evil with some of King's best characters.
on September 21, 2014
In Summation: If you read only one Stephen King book I stand by the general assessment that this should be the one.

Without giving away anything whatsoever to the plot I can only give a very subjective viewpoint being that the first half is utterly compelling and spectacular with it's unique range of characters, back-stories to said characters, and all encompassing catastrophe rippling through the U.S.

The second half for me personally falls short of the grandeur of the first. At this point characters are established, motives are hinted at, and the sweeping significance of their struggles just seem to be resolved without a lot of nail biting conclusion.

I have only read The Shining and The Langoleirs in addition to The Stand. The first half is a masterful work of art, the second leaves much to be desired.