BCA Month Salon Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Ultimate Hits by Garth Brooks Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on April 22, 2017
If you grew up in the 1960's and loved music, especially the Motown Sound, this is a documentary that you need to watch!
This is truly an amazing documentary about the Motown House Band: called The Funk Brothers. They never received any publicity or credit for the hard work that they contributed to the Motown Sound. Thanks to Joe Hunter, who was a member of the band and the leader!!!
on October 3, 2015
This DVD is amazing, simply amazing! I have watched it over and over as each time I do I pick up something new. The music is outrageous and is worth the DVD all on its own. I have seen three DVD's such as this that Amazon offers already and this one is just as wonderful. It is hard to believe that all of these musicians were responsible for all of the music I danced to as a little girl and now collect as an adult. Of course, we know all of the singers, but they would have been lost without these awesome gentlemen bringing their visions to life. I have always believed that to be able to sing was truly a blessing from God, but to be a musician on the level of these gentlemen is a gift that is stunning and hard to put into words. I love, love, love music and feel ever so fortunate to have found this DVD. I have two older siblings and enjoyed music from each of their generations, but the music from this particular generation was very special and hard to touch. I love each and every one of these gentlemen, you all are simply wondrous.
on September 11, 2017
I have seen this many times and never tire of it. What an amazing group of talent coming together. Would that we had appreciated them at the time they were performing together at Mowtown, as all we get today is digitizations, auto tune, and little real talent.
on February 4, 2015
Oh wow, this dvd brings back a lot of great memories for anyone who remembers listening to Motown songs back in the 60s. I was born in 1965, so I didn't witness it back then. But I sure remember when I first listened to them in the early 70s and been loving it ever since! I didn't know who played the music on all the Motown records until my ex-boyfriend told me that it was the Funk Brothers who did it all. This dvd rockumentary shows them in all their glory of how each member (lots of them) looked like back then and nowadays. They talk about how it all started, their instrument techniques (very cool!) and it has old school singers singing Motown songs such as the late Gerald Levert, Chaka Kahn, Montell Jordan and Joan Obsbourne, plus a lot more very groovy things showcased in this 2-hour gem. It's really a 2-cd set and the 2nd disc shows the original Funk Brothers dining in, I believe, a BBQ joint talking about the good old days. You've got to buy it to believe it! By the way, all the Funk Brothers received a Grammy Lifetime Achievement award back in the 2000 era. Way to go, y'all!
I read a few reviewers questioning why the production didn't involve the original singers to sing the songs. Please note that this documentary is about Funk Brothers. By using contemporary singers to accompany the original rhythm section, the film proves to the viewers how Motown music is in it's musicians, especially the rhythm section. Also if Diana, Stevie, or Smokey would get on stage to sing a song or two, they'd definitely demand star treatment. This will DEFEAT THE PURPOSE.
For those who demand to know more about The Temps, Tops, Supremes, and Miracles etc., please either read their autobiographies, watch made-for-TV movies, or listen to their box sets. This movie is about the Funk Brothers, not Motown singers. This film is to celebrate the brothers' contribution to American pop music and to finally validate their hard work, creativity, and how they influenced generations of future musicians.
If you watched a documentary, at least be aware of the subject matter before you criticize the production.
44 comments| 287 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 20, 2013
A great documentary. A wonderful, heartbreaking story. The "Motown Sound!" is a thing of beauty to the ears and the heart. This story will make you cry one moment and make get up a dance in another. Without the Funk Brothers there would be no" Motown." An apt song for the documentary and the story these gentleman tell.
"Standing in the shadows of love,
I'm getting ready for the heartaches to come.
Can't you see me standing in the shadows of love
I'm getting ready for the heartaches to come

I want to run but there's nowhere to go,
'Cause heartaches will follow me, I know
Without your love, the love I need
It's the beginning of the end for me.
'Cause you're taking away all my reasons for livin'
When you pushed aside all the love I been givin'
Now wait a minute.

Didn't I treat you right, now baby, didn't I?
Didn't I do the best I could now, didn't I?

So don't you leave me
Standing in the shadows of love,
I'm getting ready for the heartaches to come
Don't you see me standing in the shadows of love
Trying my best to get ready for the heartaches to come

All alone
I'm destined to be, with misery my only company
It may come today, it might come tomorrow
But it's for sure I ain't got nothing but sorrow.
Now don't your conscience kind of bother you.
How can you watch me cry after all I done for you.
Hold on a minute.

Gave you all the love I had now, didn't I?
When you needed me I was always there now, wasn't I?

I'm trying hard not to cry out loud.
You know crying it ain't gonna help me now.
What did I do to cause all this grief?
Now what'd I say to make you want to leave
Now wait a minute.

Gave my heart and soul to you now, didn't I?
And didn't I always treat you good, now didn't I?

I'm standing in the shadows of love,
I'm getting ready for the heartaches to come.
Don't you see me standing in the shadows of love
Trying my best to get ready for the heartaches to come
Oh I'm standing in the shadows of love
---
Lyrics powered by LyricFind
written by Holland, Edward, Jr. James / Dozier, Lamont Herbert / Holland, Brian
Read more at [...]
on May 16, 2016
It was exciting to know about The Funk Brothers who were the root and the foundation of the Motown Sound. I wish that they could have received the RESPECT and ACKNOWLEDGEMENT they deserved from the beginning of Motown. Thank you for introducing us to these unique musicians in the documentary. And to the musicians, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU FOR MAKING US MOVE, GROOVE,SING, HOLLER, DANCE, CRY, LAUGH and CREATIVELY EXPRESS OURSELVES to your music. YOU affected generations, generations, generations of people and the WHOLE WORLD. THANK YOU. YOU WERE VERY UNSELFISH TO GIVE YOUR GIFTS TO THE WORLD. AN HONORARY SALUTE TO YOU and THANK YOU.

i
on May 18, 2015
Just try not to get up and dance. Terrific account of the band behind all of the Motown stars, told in some photos and interviews with selected members. If you've seen The Wrecking Crew, a documentary about L.A. studio musicians, this one my disappoint for the lack of a similar archive of photos and historical footage. Instead Standing in the Shadows gives you a reunion concert. In the end they are very similar in giving due to the musicians who created and performed the soundtrack of the 1960s, both before or apart from those bands who so memorably performed their own music. How was it possible for so much recorded music to be made without credit to the folks who created those bass lines, licks, intros, bridges, and drum beats that made it impossible for us to sit still? This only partially corrects the wrong, far too late, but impressively nonetheless.
on May 1, 2014
It was so enlightening to see the REAL stars of Motown... You already know the Temptations, Supremes and Four tops, but without the Unique musical sounds of the Funk Brothers you wouldn't have what we call today "The Motown Sound" because they invented it! This video is very informative and sheds light on the most incredible studio band ever!
This is a DVD that you'll want to see over and over again because it's so much info that you need to see it twice to take it all in. The jam sessions with the funk brothers and main stream surprise guest singers will blow you away!.. If you love REAL music.. Not that superficial pop music with electronic looped beats, But REAL music that last forever... This is the DVD for you! The band members are older now and wont be here forever so it was an honor to see them in their glory then and now.
on September 16, 2015
It's really a very good documentary, much like The Wrecking Crew. It's a little slow and it's too bad they don't have footage from the old days but who knew they were making history. Their collective talents were fantastic and the memories their music brings back is like a time warp. We were all lucky to be exposed to all these people.