Industrial Deals Beauty STEM PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now toystl17_gno Oprah's Book Club nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Wickedly Prime

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-10 of 24 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 48 reviews
on March 7, 2008
As a women's basketball fan I was familiar with C Vivian Stringer and her Rutgers team. What I wasn't familiar with were all the details of her upbringing in a poor but proud family and the struggles she went through as an African American, wife and mother dealing with a high profile career, illness of her daughter, death of her husband and various other unique challenges. Coach Stringer presents all of her struggles in an honest and humble way. I especially enjoyed reading how she developed her coaching style over the years and seeing how she put her values into practice. If you like "overcomer" type stories or sports stories, you'll enjoy this, its the type you can't put down until you finish. I can understand now why her players seem to have so much affection and loyalty for her.
on January 25, 2017
This is a must read book for all those who inspire others and looking for inspiration to persevere against all odds and still find the courage to give of themselves despite the many obstacles that are placed before them and those same obstacles to catapult themselves to success while helping to fulfill the dreams of little girls who have turned into beautiful young women along the way; Magnificent!
on March 26, 2008
I started following Rutgers Women's basketball just a few years ago and wanted to find out what makes C. Vivian Stringer tick, as well as to catch up on earlier teams that she coached. The book filled that need admirably. The writing is excellent, details informative and the message uplifting. She has a stoic and yet combative view of life and her story explains why.

No book will ever reveal what a person is like and if you've ever heard her speak, you know that Coach Stringer has poetry in her that barely peaks through in the book. Her reaction to the recent Tennessee clock debacle included, "I seem to have an eraser after my name..."

The perpetual struggle that she is involved in as she coaches and deals with her other challenges and the effect that she has on others is what she is and she is a treasure.
on March 15, 2008
Most of us heard about her from the fall-out of Don Imus' disgusting comments regarding her team; but in her memoir you will learn that the strength of character she showed during those dark days was ingrained in her from her solid family values. Coach Stringer is a woman whose challenges have only served to make her stronger, better, wiser. And those of us who are privildged to know her can only be amazed by her talent, beauty and fortitude. I can honestly say that the C. in C. Vivian Stringer truly does stand for CHAMPION!
on April 22, 2008
C. Viviens Stringer's book is written with such exceptional passion for life that you can't help but feel it. After reading her book I wanted to cry for joy at all of the lives she has touched and inspired. My husband devoured it in a few days. Every young person should read this book. Every woman will feel prouder and every man will be called to a higher standard. Thanks for sharing your amazing story Vivien. My feelings that we should all "live like we are dying" was embraced by her experiences.
Robin Dilg
on February 20, 2015
A legend in the game.......her concern and compassion for her players and the lessons she imparts are those that should be learned by the new coaches coming up. Thank you, C. Vivian, for being an example of a strong woman.
on May 17, 2008
How important it is to have women, young and old, to know the power and authority that lies within and that you have the perfect example in
"the Coach" of all times. Ms Stringer has given us this jewel at a time more important that any other that I can remember when so many young women are suffering from low self-esteem and rejection and so many older women are caught in the throws of life. Thanks to Ms. Stringer we have renewed HOPE!!!
on December 6, 2013
Unfortunately I lost this book and never replaced it. I enjoyed reading the first chapter. Vivian is a very strong lady and I wanted to read her story. This is not a rating only because I was not able to read the book.
on May 15, 2013
This book is very entertaining. I read it in three days. This is a great account of a very humble, hard working lady who has endured personal challenges and enjoyed immense success while teaching young women about life. Awsome book.
on June 1, 2016