Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Stanley 16-970 FatMax Short Blade Chisel Set, 3-Piece
Your Garage Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Lindsey Stirling Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

Size: EA|Change

on August 26, 2011
I am getting into woodworking, and need to build up a collection of tools. I figured these chisels would get me started. While they are good quality, they are very top-heavy, and uncomfortable to use for finer work, such as dovetail or finger joints. If you are planning to do any fine work with chisels, you should buy chisels with wooden handles.

I found that the backs are not flat and have rough machine marks, so I needed to flatten the backs. The cutting edge bevel is ground at true 25 degrees and is square to the sides, so the cutting bevel is ready for honing. The chisels are not too sharp out of the box, you'll need to sharpen them to a usable state.

Another problem is that the bevelled sides are are rather tall, i.e. the side bevels do not come down all the way, there is about 1/8'' thick vertical "shoulder". This makes it harder to use these for dovetails, as it's hard to get the chisel into a corner to clean up the tails.

I would imagine that for general carpentry these chisels would be just fine.
on February 26, 2013
Try as I might there is no detail on the type of steel used or the bevel angle. So I took a gamble with nearly 50% off here on Amazon. Shipping was prompt, they seemed new in packaging, but upon closer inspection their edges were chipped, bent, and there were scratches all over the face. The 1/2" chisel bevel wasn't even square! The machining lines were quite horrific and would take hours honing to reveal a smooth, flat surface. I just couldn't think to waste that much time on mystery steel when I can get a 4-set of Narex chisels for the same $26. That being said, I was tempted to keep them just as a beater set for rough-joinery in larger planks or beams.... but I didn't.
on June 22, 2016
Stanley has long made a fine and reasonably priced set of job-site chisels with steel handle caps for longevity. These came razor sharp and each in their own easy-to-use plastic guard to keep them that way.

They are a pleasure to use.
on December 19, 2012
Got these for Christmas last year when I started woodworking and home improvement. Solid tool that has worked well with some general carpentry around the house as well as some beginning woodworking projects.

I had to flatten the backs and sharpen them as you do most chisels out of the box, but I have found they hold an edge decently well (not as good as a friends high end chisels). For light carpentry duties that I have used them for they are fantastic as they are rugged and durable in these applications. For woodworking, they have gotten me going and I have found that they get the job done on many projects. Dovetailing not as much as the side bevel gets in the way. I am looking to upgrade to a higher end chisel that will do a better job of finer detail work, but for what these are, I am very pleased.

Pros: Durable, Holds its edge well, Good for all-around work, Good weight for chopping (tang through handle construction a plus here)
Cons: Heavy, Not nimble for fine work, Side bevel not good for dovetails

I am happy with these and recommend them to those looking for a good general chisel set, but not the seasoned woodworker looking for more detail in their joinery and woodworking applications.
on December 6, 2011
Disclaimer: I am not a professional carpenter nor have I used other similar products to compare this with.

I bought these chisel's to fix my bathroom door that needed to be replaced. I just needed these chisel's to set the hinges on the door.

Out of the box these Chisel's looked very SHARP. They were very well built and I could use a hammer on them all through out the project and fared quite well. Good investment for at least small home project. Could very well be the case for daily use but I wouldn't know.
on January 4, 2012
Great chisel set. They've been a great help carving hinge pockets for slab doors and other fairly manual wood-carving needs around the house. The handles are comfortable and allow a lot of control. The blades are perfect-sharp right out of the package. They carve most hardwood like it's butter. Nice to see Stanley tools living up to their name.
33 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 13, 2012
Surprisingly substantial and sharper than I expected. The handles and blades are longer than I anticipated and more substantial than most discount chisels. For under $20 this is a good deal for a basic set of three.
on September 17, 2012
I am not a master wood worker - far from it. I am a person who appreciates a product that works. I cannot attest to the long term durability of these blades. I can attest to the sharpness straight out of the box, the comfortable grasp, and the convenient packaging allowing for mounting above the workbench/wall, etc. Get's the job done.
on May 6, 2012
Before you buy, remember you are buying chisels for WOOD, not metal. Theyse are pretty sharp chisels. I hope they stay that way...but it shouldn't be that hard to sharpen them.
I like the little protective hangers you can hand them in your shed.
on November 21, 2015
These are nice quality chisels, especially for the reasonable price. The handles are a little larger than most and they're easier to grip and hold. Pretty sharp and so far have held their edge well.

See 1 answered question