Stanley Kubrick: The Essential Collection
Deal of the Day: Select DC titles on Blu-ray and DVD
Save on featured DC Comics titles including all season 1s of The Flash, Arrow, and Gotham. This offer ends at 11:59:59 PM (PT) on July 25, 2016. Learn more
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
On one user's negative review with respect to the "destructive" packaging: all I can say is, if you stop and think about it before wailing on the disks trying to get them out of their sleeves, you'll be FINE. The sleeves, are indeed, engineered to keep the disks in, so they don't fall on the floor if you tip the package the wrong way. A moment's thought will tell you that a thumb on the label side of the disk, a forefinger on the edge, and some firm but gentle pulling while rotating a little is all you need to get the disks out without a hint of damage. The sleeve will release its grip and all will be well. Believe me, you'll be glad for the snugness of the fit when you realize how well it protects the disks when you're not watching them.
On the continuing Aspect Ratio controversy: I could be wrong about this, but I think the esteemed Mr. Kubrick would be fine with the 16x9 cropping of The Shining, Full Metal Jacket, and Eyes Wide Shut. It's true that Kubrick initially only wanted videos of his films released "full frame", i.e. with the whole negative image showing unmasked, because he hated pan-scan, and thought letterboxing distracting. After Barry Lyndon, he shot 35mm without a hard matte, but composed for 1.85:1 precisely because he knew some theaters would project it 1.85:1 while others would go for 1.66:1, and still others would have their own "custom" aspect ratio - i.e.Read more ›
But value aside, the transfers are mostly fantastic, especially the transfer on my favorite of Kubrick's films, 2001: A Space Odyssey. The colors are crisp and the details are fantastic, especially the black and white on Lolita. I am so glad that this film had finally achieved a release on Blu Ray.
My only complaint is the lack of new features on the previously released discs and the lack of ANY FEATURES on Lolita and Barry Lyndon. Fans have been waiting years for these releases and we now only get half of a release (the other half should have contained a commentary by an expert AT LEAST). But the transfers are fantastic, making it a satisfying purchase.
Overall, I am especially happy with this release, save for the complaints that I have previously listed. I'd give the box set a four out of five.
I have never bought a Kubrick film on Bluray because inevitably these will be released in more definitive volumes at a later date. Without the higher bitrate the films simply are not going to look close to optimal on large screens although they are decent. I think most of these films speak for themselves. None are bad films. My favorites are 2001, The Shining, and EWS. Haven't seen Lolita in some time although that one might have had a decent transfer. It's funny because instead of pumping up the bitrate for Clockwork on the 40th release they clipped a doc and then added another doc and called it a day with the exact same transfer. For shame.
If these were state of the art transfers this set would be a 10 out of 5.
If you are going to charge a premium then for the love of the lord don't throw in your HDDVD transfers from half a decade ago.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
a nice upgrade visually from the previous DVD collection. A must have by any fan of the movies ... or art.Published 13 months ago by J. Kopeny
"Genius is the fire that lights itself." That could very well describe the mystique of, and the body of work from, Stanley Kubrick, arguably one of the greatest filmakers... Read morePublished 19 months ago by tones capone
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Movies & TV > Boxed Sets > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Boxed Sets > Comedy
- Movies & TV > Boxed Sets > Drama
- Movies & TV > Boxed Sets > Horror
- Movies & TV > Boxed Sets > Military & War
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Comedy
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Documentary
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Drama
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Horror
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Military & War
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Mystery & Thrillers
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Romance
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Science Fiction
- Movies & TV > Movies
- Movies & TV > Science Fiction & Fantasy
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > All Titles
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > Comedy
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > Documentary
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > Drama
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > Horror