Spring Deals Automotive Best Books of the Month New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now TG18SW_gno

on December 16, 2012
I charged-up the unit when it arrived. It did become slightly warm to the touch, but it did not get hot at all.

When my 2007 Honda CRV's car battery was sufficiently discharged to a level when the car would not start, I followed the instructions on the unit's 12V cable tag.

You have to remember to turn the ignition key, maybe to the "1st click" position. Some cars like the CRV, do not provide power to the 12-volt socket, until the key is at the "1st click" position. Only then will there be a connection from the 12-volt socket, directly into the car battery that you want to boost.

Remember also to switch-off all other car appliances like radios, lights, ventilation fans, etc. This would allow the booster to supply as much of its energy, into your car battery, and not have the booster's energy wasted on powering your car's appliances.

After about 15 minutes being plugged-in and attached to my vehicle's 12V outlet, the booster's display screen indicated that I should now attempt starting-up the car. I tried it and it started-up successfully!

The next month, my 2001 Volvo V70 station wagon's battery was now sufficiently discharged that it would not start the engine.

This time the unit took the maximum 30 minutes to boost the Volvo's battery. I guess the Volvo has a larger but older battery as compared to the CRV. But the engine was able to start-up too.

I am no expert on car batteries and boosting, but it seems to me that this unit is not half bad!

UPDATE (July 22, 2013) :

The performance of the unit is still good.

Tested again on my Honda CRV.
After the usual running-down of the car battery, I proceeded to boost. This time I tried something different. Before the unit indicated that I could start, I tried to start the car. It was able to start!

However, this was just an experiment. In a real world situation, I would strongly advise that you start-up your vehicle, ONLY AFTER the unit indicates for you to do so.

It is also recommended to give the Stanley Battery Booster, a full charge, every month or so. I noticed a drop of 1 bar, on the 4-bar battery strength indicator of the unit, after storing for about 2 to 3 months.

UPDATE (May 30, 2014) :

Found out the hard way that the 4-bar battery strength indicator is not accurate.

I had neglected to charge the Stanley Battery Booster for about 6 months or so. Because everytime I checked, it always had 3 or 4 bars, showing almost "Full-Charge". Never seemed to drop much, if at all.

This one time I needed a boost, the Stanley Battery Booster worked for just - a minute or two.
Then it went straight to "no-bars" and immediately stopped boosting. The car battery was still not boosted enough to start the car. Luckily, a friend was nearby and gave us a jump-start.

Later that night, I charged the Stanley Battery Booster. Next day I depleted my car battery, then tested the booster. This time it was able to start the car, and with juice to spare.

Lesson learned : Don't depend on the 4-bar battery strength indicator of the Stanley Battery Booster.
Always keep it charged-up, every month or so.
Before any important road trip, charge it up a day or two before, if possible.

Update (June 16, 2015) :

I think the battery deteriorates very quickly after 2 years or so.
The last few days, have been trying to recharge the Stanley Battery Booster - without much success. The battery strength indicator struggles to move up from 2 bars - to 3 bars - no matter how long I leave it charging. It can no longer reach the full charge of 4-bars.

The new maximum of 3-bars does not allow it to boost. When I connected the device to the car to try to boost, the device stopped boosting almost immediately. This shows that there is almost no charge left in the internal 6-cell lithium battery.

The device lasted only a little over 2 years, which is not acceptable.
22 comments| 76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 11, 2015
This did work to start my 2004 Prius when it was new because I had installed a special kit from Coastal e tech that keeps the front outlet connected to the battery even when the car is not turned on. I tested and verified that it started a dead battery.

But it seemed to lose its charge much more quickly than the manufacturer says; they say to recharge every 3-6 months but often when I would recharge it after 3 months it would be completely dead.

A few years after purchase, it won't even hold a charge. It had been 6 months since I last recharged it, and again it was completely dead; the blue LCD backlight would go on briefly but nothing would display on the LCD when I pressed the power button. I tried recharging it a couple of times with the wall charger, but it would stop charging with the battery indicator only reading half of the bars.

So I'm going to unscrew the cover, remove the battery, and recycle it after just a few years.

I'm an electronics hobbyist and I'm thinking what I might do is take the cigarette lighter plug from this thing and simply connect it to a eight or ten alkaline D cells in series, which should last many years without recharging and still be available for power. There used to be commercial products like this but I can't find any right now so I'll just make my own. Don't do this unless you know what you are doing since you can cause a fire if it's wired backwards.

For those who are technically inclined you might be curious to know that the internal battery is six cylindrical cells wrapped together with the marking: Kanyo 18650-IP6S 2000mAh 22.2V 44.4Wh MH47359 111004 Made in China.
on January 22, 2014
In short, this is a solid product but really needs to be a bit more sophisticated (and expensive). That is to say, it should provide clear indications of the car battery's voltage and a more precise charge state of its internal battery. Current flow in a numerical readingg would also be helpful. When testing this charger on a partially depleted, newly installed car battery that was sitting for a few hours or overnight in cold weather, the Stanley charger depleted quite rapidly -- well under 15 minutes. This was odd because the car battery charge state should have been about 95%+. After showing total depletion, the Stanley charger would then indicate 3 out of 4 bars within ten or fifteen minutes sitting idle. Given such information, I wouldn't trust this battery booster in extreme environments far from population centers.

Another option is to consider a 30w, 15v hand crank generator by Humless. It gives quite a workout but is always ready as long as you have the arm strength. You can use the included alligator clips by directly them attaching to the battery terminals or make a custom cable, as I have, with a cigarette lighter plug. This setup clearly works as it provides up to three amps and demonstratively raises the battery voltage. Also, you don't have to get out of your car.
33 comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 20, 2014
Works for me. Have only used it to jump a motorcycle. Took 10 minutes to get the battery to starting level.

Charging via the DC home charger (converts from AC) takes a long time. I'd guess at least 24 hours. First time I didn't want to wait so I charged via my cars 12volt outlet and it was fully charged in two 15 minute car rides. Much higher amps are delivered via it.

Only bad thing... The lead out of the bottom won't stay inside when stored because the door won't stay shut. I've tried adjusting it but nothing I do works. But whatever. Not like I use it everyday. I wish it had a 12 volt outlet and perhaps a usb outlet but for the price, it's fine. I suppose you could get a female to female 12volt adapter to plug into it but that might not work because it's designed to charge. Hrm.
on December 17, 2013
It quit after two years. It will cost over $80.00 dollars to have the batteries replaced. Looks brand new and now a nice paper weight.
This is a update to my review. I would like to add I did take this in to get the batteries replaced. The batteries that came with the unit are rated at 2000mah. The replacement batteries are rated at 2600mah. It turns out the cost was $50.00 dollars to replace the batteries not $80.oo dollars as I said earlier. I had the batteries replaced at a local place that works with lithium ion batteries. I believe this was the best option. If I baught another unit for roughly the same price I would be getting the same type of batteries that were in my unit and those batteries went bad. Another thing is the longer these units are sitting on a shelf not getting charged the higher the chances the batteries will go bad. By having the batteries replaced I know I have good rechargable batteries in my unit. So, if your batteries go bad look into having them replaced. I believe it will be money well spent because the batteries that come with the unit are not that good. This would be making the best out of a bad situation if you already own one of these. I hope this helps.
33 comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 30, 2014
It takes a while to charge and it takes a while to charge my car battery but it did just that when i needed it to do so. read alll the directions do some research befor you by cause it does take a while not just plug and go. but if u follow directions and have the time it can work if unit is charged .
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 11, 2014
Finally, got chance to test device, got flat battary in the parking, booster made my battary alive in 15 min, and done that 3 more times from one booster charge. at the end had to replace battary as it died completely but buster allowed me to come where I wanted to come to do replacement.
Thanks for good device!
on March 26, 2014
on December 1, 2013
This product worked as advertised for me, although it took a bit longer than I'd hoped. I charged it overnight when I first got it - they said it could take up to 20 hours to fully charge but it took less than 8 I think. Anyhow, I then followed the instructions and attached it to my car's 12V connector. It went through the process of charging the car up - this can take up to 30 minutes according to the instructions. I didn't have a timer but it took less time than that. However after indicating that my car was ready to start, it still wouldn't turn over (although it did seem to have a lot more juice than before.) Again following the instructions, I repeated the charging process (you can only do this a max of two times per the manual, so if it didn't work the second time I was done.) This time, it took less time to charge the battery to where it said it was ready to start. And this time, the car did start. I disconnected the booster - it still had almost all of its charge left according to the battery meter - and left the car running to charge up the battery. I liked the product fine although don't expect something where you can plug it in, start the car right away, and go - I would allow at least 30 minutes.
on March 4, 2014
A few years back I inherited a second car, and started having one "summer car" with UHP summer tires, and one "winter car" with snow/ice tires. This worked out pretty well when both were kept outdoors, and when it snowed I'd fire 'em both up while I shoveled. (In the summer, not so much though.) Around that time I came across a neat device, a Black & Decker BB7B, that plugged into the cigar lighter socket of any car and topped off the battery of a disused car. Neat! Sadly the product was built with inferior batteries inside, and quickly disappeared from store shelves.

I now have both cars indoors, but really miss the old BB7B. There's only one AC outlet in the garage, and it's already overloaded; it's not practical to use an AC powered trickle charger on my disused car. So when I saw that my summer car's battery was dead, I looked again for something like my beloved BB7B, and found the Stanley Simple Start. I use lots of battery powered devices, and have come to love rechargeable lithium batteries for the high power density and high reliability compared to other battery chemistries.

When I received the unit I read the manual, then charged it fully as directed. I then took it to the car with the dead battery (no lights when I opened the door), plugged it in as directed, turned it on and hit the "charge" button. When I returned later I found the unit off, and when I opened the car door there was light! Sweet! I turned the unit on again and saw that there was still 3 out of 4 left on its charge display, and when I pressed the charge button again, it continued to boost the car battery. It works! I did notice that the contacts were pretty hot. It may help to clean out your car's cigar lighter socket (especially if you're a smoker) for better contact.

Every few days when I go to my "winter car" to go somewhere, I put the Simple Start in my other car, set it and forget it. When I return home I take it back inside and recharge it until the next time. Problem solved.

The simple Start lacks the 12V socket that my old BB7B had, which I don't miss since most in-car accessories can plug into a USB port for power. The BB7B was more versatile, but I'm more than happy to have the power and security of the lithium battery pack. Bow if Stanley will come out with lithium powered versions of my Black & Decker "Power to Go" and "Pocket Power" pocket AC power sources, I'll be over the moon!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse