Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis hots Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 217 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 228 reviews
on March 30, 2015
Junk, not recommended.

When I first installed the cap, I tested it first to make sure it would unlock, so I thought we were good to go.

The first time we went to fill up, we spent almost 1/2 hour trying to get it to unlock. On the last attempt, the lock cylinder came out along with the key. The only way to remove the gas cap at that point was with a screwdriver. Without the lock cylinder, the cap is not only useless as a locking gas cap, it is also longer air-tight, and this has a risk of throwing a check-engine code for a loose fuel cap.

Just make sure you don't throw away the original gas cap, because you WILL need it when this piece of junk breaks. You're also going to need tools to pry it off the filler neck if it hasn't already come apart. Also, the original gas cap for my vehicle comes with a tether to prevent losing it. It's not possible to install the tether on the locking gas cap. In this case, losing it would be more of a blessing than an inconvenience.
on October 12, 2013
I have used Stant locking caps for years on all my vehicles. This does fit a 2004 Ranger fine but the tether that keeps the gas cap attached to the truck will not work without modifications. There is no slot!........ I removed the retaining ring on the bottom to see if I could modify it by trimming it down but if you trim it you will remove the ability to keep the ring attached.

I ended up trimming the inside of my tether and slipping it over the top of the cap then super gluing a piece of electrical wire around the perimeter as a retainer. It's a lot of hassle to do but I didn't want to use it without the tether.

One good thing, I was able to see just how they designed the locking mechanism in these. It is a engineering feat just short of genius, but it is not something that I really needed to know about.

Anyways, it works as it should but only time will tell if it throws the check engine light due to a poor seal as some reviewers have stated on here. If it does then I will update my review.

Some reviewers received 10510 caps with tether slots and some did not, which leads me to believe Stant must have made a new injection mold die but didn't provide any tether gap in it.

Edit 11-12-2013: No problems with check engine light, it's a good seal.
on June 21, 2016
I'd give this a 5 star as it definitely locks and prevents the neighbor from stealing my gas any more. However, getting the key in the lock is a bit annoying, First, it's not overly evident which way the key goes and second, it's kind of hard to insert. That being said, I don't think dust will get in the lock very easily and I live in Phoenix, capital of dust storms. I believe a person with arthritic hands would have too much difficulty in using this cap. Young'uns, have at it! It works!
on October 10, 2016
It feels flimsier than the stock cap but it offers me peace of mind. It fits perfectly with no leak (no codes). Make sure you read the instructions to turn the key and remove the key before unscrewing the cap. My company uses this cap but most of them are broken (they don't lock but they don't leak either) because people use the key to crank open the cap.
on December 18, 2016
Decent price for a lock. After owning this lock for a little time now, all I can say is it does lock your gas fill, but when you try to lock it and or remove it oh my God what a nightmare. I placed this cap on a 2008 Ford Edge and my wife told me if I don't take this damn thing off she was going to divorce me........ this cap is very very difficult to remove/lock without cutting, busting up your knuckles or damaging the key, very very difficult I think I got a defective one, no matter because it went in the trash! Wasted time and money.......
on January 25, 2017
The check engine light was on in my 2004 Mercury Mountaineer and one possible reason was that there was a faulty gas cap. I looked on Amazon for a suitable replacement and decided to go with a locking gas cap. The site said this would fit my vehicle but when the part arrived it would not even go into the cylinder. I tried to process a return but the site wanted to charge me to return the part. I called into customer service and the very nice lady processed my return label free of charge to me. This needs to be adjusted from the site as it does not fit.
on April 28, 2008
With gas prices creeping higher and a tank of gas hitting the realm of financing available, I thought it wise to protect my fuel investments with a locking gas cap. The cap looks much the same as the Ford factory cap with the addition of the lock, of course. The retaining ring fits but it's not an easy battle. After much prying and pulling and creative use of energy, the ring came off of the old cap and getting it onto the new cap took about twice the effort. It's possible but not easy. Instructions might have helped, but I didn't see any. For that it only gets 4 stars. The locking mechanism is first-rate. It's not coming off without a key or some serious power tools. Thieves beware!
review image
on March 19, 2017
My 2007 Crown Vic blinked "Check Engine"
It was revealed that P0442 error code on my program scanner
( emission fuel leak: Small )

Installed this new locking gas cap and I erased the code... Everything is perfect again!
on September 11, 2014
I have never left a review for a product, but this one has spurred me to write one. Upon first glance the product felt good, by that I mean, it had weight the plastic on the cap did not feel "cheap" and the key turned in the lock just fine. The first time I unlocked the cap and went to remove it to fill my tank, which was the morning after instillation, my key pulled out the locking mechanism.!!! So, it was useless the first time I used it.
on August 5, 2017
Works as advertised. Sometimes the key takes a little bit of doing but you get the hang of it pretty quickly. ('05 Ford Crown Victoria PI)

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.