Top positive review
2 people found this helpful
Better than the original!
on June 17, 2016
I am a HUGE Star Fox fan so this game excited me a lot when it was announced. Having played through Star Fox 64 for countless hours, this remaster of the game was gorgeous on the 3DS and made very good use of the 3D available to the system. The game is 98% identical to the original one and overall, I would say superior in almost every single way.
Positive Changes from 64:
- You can now select specific missions after you have gone through them once (GREAT feature especially if you just want to crank out some of the later missions on a commute)
- Now there's a specific score attack mode with even more challenging goals for medals
- 3DS gyroscope control mode which actually surprisingly works rather well for this game
- Local DS Download multiplayer that is pretty fun
- Changed Falco's line to "Hey genius" instead of "Hey Einstein." There's less sass but it's consistent with their world at least so I like it.
Negative Changes from 64:
- Multiplayer lacks the ability to play in the Landmaster or on foot as in the original game
- Some of the music score remasterings I did not like at all. One of my main complaints was the Boss C track remastering. The beginning just sounds SO wrong
Overall, I found the game to be a satisfying experience and if I could remove nostalgia goggles, I would have to say that it is better than the original. It is truly one of the greatest games of all time remastered with modern graphics for a modern system. I think fans of the N64 version would enjoy it, but also anyone who is a fan of space flight combat would also love it as well. There are rich space environments ranging from an asteroid belt to an ocean planet, a lava planet, etc. Go out and buy this game while you still can!