Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 3,531 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 4,502 reviews
on January 30, 2017
This is one of the best Star Treks I have ever seen!!!! Having grown up watching Star Trek and Star Trek Next Generation, I was very excited but a little skeptical about how this movie would turn out (think about the X-Men movies, great actors and actress, but no spark). I was very pleasantly surprised the first time I watched it. While the premise was a little crazy, the actors did such a great job that I felt this movie could be a stand alone or go with the original series! The actors were enough like the original cast, that you could easily see this as being their younger selves. Chris Pine did such a great job of giving this movie a hint of comedy without making it a farce! Certainly this is a great gateway to what I hope with be a string of good movies.
on April 13, 2017
This is a very fun and entertaining film. The pacing, action scenes, special effects, and the acting are all well done. My only complaint is that there are too many coincidences that take place throughout the film in an attempt to bring all the characters into the same roles they had in the original series. The producers made a big deal about how this version was going to be different than the original. In order to do this they introduce time travel so that events in this timeline are not the same as the original. But then they proceed to bring all the main characters into the exact roles they had in the original series in a way that feels forced and ridiculous at times.
on August 23, 2014
Star Trek 2009 started in the distant future with an explosion in the Romulan empire. Some background on that background is actually contained in a few comic books that do a good job of summarizing that future that ended with Spock and Nero traveling backward in time, ultimately changing the past which changed the future.

They don't tell us in the 2009 reboot how the universe managed to reorganize itself in a matter of less than a century (more like 25 years) but I have my theory, and there are many other theories. If you have a theory different than mine, add a comment at the end of this review.

Do you remember the TOS episode where McCoy accidentally overdosed himself, traveled back in time, changing time? Kirk had to allow his newest love interest to die, in order to restore the spirit. That device they passed through was the Guardian of Forever, and near the end of the episode, the Guardian told them that the present had been restored to what it should have been.

I really enjoy the new reboot of the old original Star Trek, and the producers did it in such a way that I totally believe it.

More than a century in the future, Spock tries to save the Romulan homeworld, but fails, and Nero blames him. They both get trapped in a wormhole that takes Nero's advanced ship back to the day of James Kirk's birth, and his actions change history.

We don't hear anything but hints, but I believe the Guardian of Forever (remember that stone ring that McCoy went through when he was drunk?) is manipulating time so that Kirk and his crew can come together years earlier than they did in the first reality.

In addition to highly recommending the movie to all Trekkies everywhere, and to new viewers who can fall in love with it all over again, I also highly recommend the book. It is wonderful, and helps us understand some of the plot with additional details that did not fit into the movie.

I didn't catch who the prize beagle was until I read the book. Admiral Archer's prize beagle? Remember "Star Trek Enterprise?" Captain Archer had his beagle on board the Enterprise with him. In the book, the beagle appears in one of the corridors of the enterprise at the end of the book. I wish they had included that in the movie.

I have watched this movie six or eight times so far, and will watch it multiple times more.
This has got to be one of my favorite all time Star Trek movies. The TV show and other movies have us coming on board the Enterprise and meeting her crew after they have been together for a while. We learn to love them and care about all the trials and travails they encounter.

But, where did they all come from? How did they grow up? What was their path they followed to get to the Starship Enterprise? That is what this movie is about as well as showing us the length of work that a crew must go through to survive and overcome all obstacles.

Learn how Spock and Kirk came to know each other and see the conflict that started their relationship.

You will not be disappointed.
on April 17, 2015
This is an excellent new version of the classic Star Trek series of TV episodes and movies. It's not the Next Generation. It's the original redone 43 years later, with the technology--and budget--available now. Minimal attempts to imitate the originals, the characters are mostly new actors playing the same parts. Dr. McCoy in particular IS McCoy. Good story, good acting. Pick a rainy day and rent this one, then the second one which is free under Prime video. They're worth watching in sequence. Next up, the third installment to coincide with the 50th anniversary of Star Trek in 2016.
This reboot of the classic series was done incredible well both with the story and the cast that were chosen to play their individual roles,yes the original cast were great too but you can't turn back time and make them thirty years old again(Or sadly to bring some back to life) it's time for a new generation to star in the limelight. At first I to was skeptical but after watching this cast of talented actors and actress perform their character roles so well my mind was soon at ease.It was great to see the early years of Spock,Kirk,McCoy,Uhura,Scotty,Sulu,Checkov start of the beginning years in Starfleet before they would become hero's. The video is sharp and detailed very clear and the audio is superb especially in the action scenes the soundtrack was also done very beautifully. So if you already have the other Star Trek movies or series then this is a must have to add to that collection as well...
on April 21, 2017
A fun movie by itself. Full of action, and more action. I am a Star Trek fan, so I didn't feel this movie was connected to what came before. I did not get more then a general idea about the characters (since they are so different), and I guess what can be done in the allotted time to develop them (the crew).
The lens flairs are particularly annoying, obscuring the screen at times, like an attempt to hide the ship and actors, basically that sucked. I saw this movie in theaters, and did not care for any behind the scenes, I am okay with the theatrical version.
on July 23, 2016
I may be biased as a lifetime trek fan (trekkie) but I believe the latest series of movies captures what trek was always about, while providing cliffhanging action and adventure at the same time that will capture an entirely new audience (new generation of Trekkies). Probably pains the traditional trek fans to see the Enterprise destroyed in so many ways, but it helps people see its truly the crew that makes the ship, not the ship itself (yeah...former Navy too.)
VINE VOICEon April 1, 2013
This movie is a miracle, it successfully revives Star Trek and it's original characters with new actors and stories in the form of a prequel. Chris Pine is James T. Kirk a wild young man who is training in Star Fleet Command, ditto a Vulcan named Spock. There is a linguist named Uhura who attracts Kirk but loves Spock. A doctor nicknamed Bones and stumbled upon is an engineer named Scotty. Leonard Nimoy makes an appearance as the elder Spock from the future and Vulcan is distroyed. Destiny is Kirk as captain and Spock as first mate apparently. Good movie. Watched Superman Returns recently and it was a great disappointment and chose the wrong actors. This movie gets a reboot right!
on August 27, 2016
For a reboot, I like it. The acting is good, and I like the changes that they made to the orignial tale. I was not a huge Star Trek fan, so I was not all up in arms at the prospect, but I liked it enough to pay for the digital copy