Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Star Trek: The Next Generation / Doctor Who: Assimilation 2 Volume 1 (Star Trek/Doctor Who)
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

on October 4, 2012
The description of this product is missing a critical piece of information. It needs to state that this is a reprint of issues one through four of an eight part series. I assumed this before purchasing, so no problem for me but others may need this information.
66 comments| 119 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 8, 2013
The idea of a crossover between Star Trek and Dr. Who is just whacky enough that I had to try it, and the Borg/Cybermen alliance makes just enough sense to make you go, "Huh, okay, yeah," and prevent the whole thing from falling apart into farce. The Doctor is very much himself -- good writing there -- and his chaotic way of bouncing around to attack a situation from all sides at once contrasts entertainingly with Starfleet's more orderly, military-ish tone.

The art is uneven -- at times the character likenesses are excellent and at other times I did a bit of a double-take when I saw how a face was drawn and realized who it was supposed to be. I did like the way the flashback was handled, though, with the scenes from Kirk/Four's time rendered in a more cartoony style that reminded me a bit of the old Star Trek animated series. (Although better drawn than that. Which wouldn't be difficult.) The contrast with the more painterly style of the present day (Picard/Ten) scenes in the story made it immediately clear what was going on and when, so props to the artists for that.

As a graphic novel, this isn't exactly up there with God Loves, Man Kills, or The Killing Joke, but it was a fun read and I enjoyed it enough to order the next volume.
on January 15, 2013
My sister is a Huge Dr Who fan and her and I, as well as my fam, are Star Trek fans as well, so I ordered this for her knowing she was anticipating this TPB. She definatly Was Not dissapointed. I read it as well and honestly at the end was wishing I could read the conclusion! Can't wait for part II, which I will buy for her so I can read it and find out how it all comes to a conclusion.
The character devolopement and the dialog are absolutly PERFECT! You almost feels as if you are watching the shows and start to hear the character/actors voices!
Great product for Star Trek and Dr Who fans alike! Order Today!
on October 28, 2012
I would rate Doctor Who and ST:TNG as two of the best science fiction television shows in history. I am a big fan of both shows. How could I pass up the chance, then, to read a story where the Doctor and his companions meet up with Jean-Luc Picard and the crew of the Enterprise? I just wish the story had lived up to my expectations a little better.

The main idea behind the plot is actually pretty solid. The Cybermen and the Borg join forces to take over the universe. As complimentary villains, this is a nice piece of work. The joining of the timelines affecting the Doctor's memory is also a nice touch. And yet, the writers strain a little too much to make sure all the characters get face time, particularly with the Enterprise crew. And the Cybermen dominance of the alliance seems a bit of a reach to me.

I also have to admit I am a bit disappointed in most of the artwork. I am not a fan of the washed-out impressionistic style of the book. I much preferred the brief flashback section with Kirk and the classic Enterprise crew. The panels are a little more "cartoonish" but I prefer the clean lines and sharper color.

Still, it's hard to shake the feeling of enjoyment watching these two classic series join together. I am very interested to see where the authors take it in Volume 2.
The Federation Planet Delta IV is attacked by the Borg and a new race called the Cybermen.

In the past, The Doctor, Amy and her husband Rory are in Egypt to catch an alien criminal. Then, they hop back into the TARDIS where they encounter a weird disturbance that sends them to San Francisco in the 1940s. Or are they somewhere else, like a holoprogram on the U.S.S. Enterprise.

Commander William Riker, Data, and Doctor Beverly Crusher are surprised by the Doctor and his companions' sudden arrival, and they are even more surprised when they learn the visitors are not holograms. Commander Riker orders Worf and a security team to take them to Captain Picard.

The Enterprise receives a distress call from Delta IV. When the ship arrives there, both Picard and the Doctor are shocked to see an armada of Borg and Cybermen ships. Outnumbered, the Enterprise retreats to a nearby nebula. The Doctor informs the Captain and the crew of everything he knows of the Cybermen. Data then checks the Enterprise database and finds that the original U.S.S. Enterprise had encountered the Cybermen before, along with a mysterious scarf wearing man named The Doctor.

NetGalley and IDW Publishing have kindly let me review the first three issues of the Star Trek: The Next Generation / Doctor Who crossover series. There's not much going in the first issue, except for setting up how the Doctor and his companions got aboard the Enterprise. Issue two has a short encounter with the Borg/Cybermen and issue three tells the back-story of Captain Kirk and crew's encounter with the Cybermen and the fourth Doctor. I'm a fan of both franchises, so I was eager to read these issues. The series shows a lot of promise and I'm sure most fans will be satisfied with it.
on October 13, 2012
I must say I was expecting a lot from this comic, but was very disappointed with the artwork. Some of it was beautifully rendered, but too often the characters did not look like themselves. I tried to pay attention to see if the artists had some kind of effect in mind, perhaps the best detail for the main character in a frame, but could not a clear effect from page to page. As for the story, which is even more important to me, A crossover between TNG and DW is an amazing concept. However, it's hard to make a judgment because Volume 2 won't be available for months. The one thing I did notice is that the text/images jump from one location/time to another without much of a transition, if any. OK, it's about time travel, but the lack of coherence made the story feel disjointed, something I revel in when watching DW on BBC America, so maybe it's just me expecting too much out of a comic. For $10, though, I found the comic disappointing.
on October 1, 2014
Dr. Who, along with Amy and Rory, cross to another dimension and end up on the Enterprise. Picard and his crew aren't sure what to make of their visitors. But they all join forces when the Borg and Cybermen team up.

From reading some other reviews, I want to point out that this is a graphic novel. It is a collection of several issues of a limited comic book series. Also, it is part one. There is another collection that you will need to read to get the whole story. This should be obvious, but there always a few that seem miss these things and then complain about them.

I think the crossover goes fairly well. It showcases both franchises. It is not a seamless meshing, but neither side is given the short end of the stick either.

I liked some of the small midshipmen in the book. One example is the sign for Tom's Bakery. I especially liked the cameo flashback of the original Star Trek crew and the fourth Doctor.

The artwork is critical in a comic like this. The artists have the additional challenge that the characters are mainly based on real people. (There are some minor characters that are original to the story and not based on a real person.) I was impressed with the artwork most of the time. It really caught the likenesses of the different people.But not always. At least once, Rory looked more like Dustin Hoffman than himself. Other times people looked liked themselves but only if you were looking at a blurry photo. I am guessing that the artists got several stock photos of the actors and used them if they were in the right pose. That would explain why one person looked really good in a panel and the others looked blurry..It also explains why a lot of the close likenesses were of the actor smiling even if a smile wasn't necessarily the right expression for that scene.

I think this would appeal to fans of either franchise. Of course, fans of both franchises will appreciate it the most.
on November 11, 2012
So here we go, the big event, Star Trek: The Next Generation (with a cameo from the Original Series) team up with the Eleventh Doctor, Amy, and Rory (with a cameo from the Fourth Doctor) to face the Borg and the Cybermen, united together for the first time ever. And it is an epic story in some ways, for this is the first volume of Assimilation 2 (actually, I think that's squared) and the last volume will be published January 2013, currently a couple of months from now. While I sort of dislike the fact that IDW only publishes 100 pages in these graphic novel collections (I want 100 more pages! Why can't they combine the two volumes?) Still, I am satisfied with this first volume, in the presentation and setup of this scenario that many fans of both shows have probably been dreaming about for ages.

And it does seem quite likely, given the characteristics and characters of these franchises, that the story should unfold in such a manner. I do admire the touches, story- and style- wise, and I appreciate the efforts of the writers and artists involved in this collaboration, for it is a collaboration between the IDW comics of these iconic shows. So, please enjoy.
on March 18, 2013
Almost twenty years ago, when I was a nerdy college student enjoying the fourth season of The Next Generation, a dear friend of mine shared a rumor that the producers of Star Trek were considering establishing Guinan as a Gallifreyan. Nothing gets the geek mind tossing and turning like a good crossover, and I imagined all sorts of possibilities about the potential of merging Enterprise and TARDIS into one fabulous story.

Spoilers!

Guinan was, unfortunately, not from Gallifrey but from a pedestrian-sounding place called El-Auria and was largely stripped of her mystique after season 3, because apparently Rick Berman was focused on making Star Trek as boring as possible. The authors of Assimilation2, recognizing this injustice, manage to capture a meeting between the Doctor and Guinan that finally fulfills the wishes of that nerdy college kid. It is an elegant, brilliant moment, a union so natural you wonder why it took so long to come to fruition.

Assimilation2 succeeds because of these moments, and not so much from its story, which is fabulous in theory: the Borg and the Cybermen have teamed up. The TARDIS bearing The Doctor (the eleventh, in the form of Matt Smith), along with companions Amy and Rory, lands on the Holodeck of the Enterprise-D circa season 5, and it's up to the Doctor and the crew of the Enterprise to prevent universal armageddon. Unfortunately the story lurches from scene to scene, graceless, much like a Cyberman. Several pages are devoted to the dangers of underwater mining on an aquatic planet, which is never revisited in Volume 1, and comes across both pointless and preachy. And though delightful, a flashback to the Classic Trek era featuring a Classic Doctor does little to advance the central narrative (and Spock gets, what, two lines? Boo!). Toward the end of the this volume, we finally get a hint of the drama about to unfold, a sense of elements coming together, but the series takes overlong to get to that point. If the main story had been handled as deftly as the character moments, this title would merit a fifth star.

But what character moments! Imagine the Doctor marveling over Data's positronic neural net. Picture his first meeting with Picard (who notes of the incredible coincidence of the Doctor showing up in the middle of a Borg/Cyberman alliance). Think of the empathic Counselor Troi quizzing Amy and Rory about the Doctor. Speculate how Worf might react to the Doctor's constant chatter. Conjure up an image of the Doctor experiencing his first trip through the transporter. Ask yourself how Amy Pond would compare the amenities of the Enterprise with that of the TARDIS. These moments, and more, are as amazing as you would imagine. The tone and the dialogue is perfect to each character in each series, melded lovingly, meticulous. The authors are fluent in the nerd-speak of both Trekkers and Whovians and it is a delight to experience the clashing of these cultures.

I enjoyed the artwork, which take a gauzy, painterly, airbrushed approach, mixing color and light in a way that serves the characters and the environments well. There are times when characters appear a little off, especially Amy Pond, whose beauty is never really captured, but there are also moments where characters like the Doctor, Data and Picard are startling in their expressiveness. The hazy style evokes an idea of illusion, two universes that (according to the story line) were never meant to cross, and this could all just be a dream, and it just plain works. The art style takes a sharp turn in the flashback to Classic Trek, where an ink-and-paint approach renders clean lines and bold colors of Silver Age comic books. No doubt, it is a nod to the cold hard fact that modern-day special effects make '60s era Trek and Who look quaint by comparison, and I applaud this approach. My inner nerd, who really likes continuity, would have liked to keep the style consistent, but it is undeniably fun to see the art shift with the era.

As a bonus, several of the covers and concept covers are tossed in for the final pages of Volume 1. My favorite is probably the one of the famous bow-tied Time Lord sitting in the Captain's chair on the bridge of the Enterprise-D.

I purchased this paperback unaware that I would only be getting half the story (my fault, not Amazon's, and not IDW's either). I have the second volume on order and look forward to watching this story play out. But based on what I've read so far, I feel assured it will be a nerdy delight, and that geeky college kid will have experienced the best of both universes at last.
on November 20, 2012
I have waited for this, a geek dream come true, a cross over between the Star Trek TNG Crew and Doctor Who, and with the Borg and Cybermen as villians. The whole package is great the artwork and the writing, you can almost hear thier voices come of the pages. I really really enjoyed this. to quote a Dr Who character, Spoliers !!!, so I wont say anymore than just buy it.

What I didnt like was the way it arrived and was packaged, the book was placed in the wrong sized boz and as a result my copy now has a most unwelcome fold on the front cover, please amazon, look at how you ship this please.

But if you are a fan of Star Trek TNG and Doctor Who you must simply buy this, even if you arent into Graphic novels, you must get this, as its most unliely this will happen again.