Star Trek: The Motion Picture, The Director's Cut (Special Collector's Edition)
Collector's Edition, Director's Cut, Special Collector's Edition
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Back when the first Star Trek feature was released in December 1979, the Trek franchise was still relatively modest, consisting of the original TV series, an animated cartoon series from 1973-74, and a burgeoning fan network around the worl
More than simply a "director's cut," this new edition features enhanced, and in some cases completely redone, special effects as well as (for a change of pace) cuts to tighten the dawdling story. It may not fly with purists, but director Robert Wise makes his case in the documentary featurette "Redirecting the Future," which details the changes with scene-by-scene comparisons, and on the commentary track, which he shares with special-effects legends Douglas Trumbull and John Dykstra (revisiting work they created over 20 years ago), actor Stephen Collins, and composer Jerry Goldsmith. Elder statesman Wise speaks in a slow and ponderous manner, but he gets his point across. Further documentaries tackle the project's leap from TV pilot to blockbuster feature and the making of the film itself, and a supplemental gallery gathers the original scenes cut or condensed from the theatrical version and all 11 scenes from the 1983 TV version. --Sean Axmaker
- Disc 1:
- The newly restored, director's edition of the feature film
- Text commentary by Michael Okuda, co-author of the Star Trek Encyclopedia
- Disc 2:
- 3 retrospective documentaries with cast and crew interviews
- 3 trailers
- 8 television commercials
- 11 deleted scenes
- 5 additional scenes
- Storyboard archives
- New Star Trek series Enterprise promo spot
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
Top customer reviews
At the time I thought it was slow and bombastic, and I was dissappointed that they rehashed "The Changeling" episode from the original series.
Well, perhaps I've mellowed a bit but I watched this DVD version last night a thoroughly enjoyed it. The key is to relax and soak in the experience. It's sort of a great, epic, mood piece with incredible visuals and a gorgeous sound track. Lower your expectations and let the movie come to you.
But beyond this, the movie poses a rather important question. What do you do if you spend your life searching for God, and you discover that God does not meet your pre-conceived notions of what He should be? V'ger finds that her "god" is a "carbon unit" and she doesn't believe it, but when the "carbon unit" enters the transmission code -- proving his claim to be "god" -- she puts her faith in him, and she joins herself to her "god" and becomes a greater being for it. There's a little to ponder there.
Beyond this, the documentaries on the second disk are interesting, and I enjoyed the various deleted scenes that showed the differences between this directors' cut and the original version. I haven't sat through the commentary track, but I'm looking forward to it.
Perhaps it wasn't all it could have been (and the documentaries explain a lot of why this is so) but I believe this movie has a lot to recommend it. I'll probably watch it again every few years until I transition to whatever the next life turns out to be.
Most recent customer reviews
After the demise of Star Trek the series, there was a void that could only be filled by reruns.Read more
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Look for similar items by category
- Movies & TV > Boxed Sets > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
- Movies & TV > Fully Loaded DVDs > Special Editions
- Movies & TV > Fully Loaded DVDs > Two-Disc Special Editions
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Anime & Manga
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Kids & Family
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Mystery & Thrillers
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Science Fiction
- Movies & TV > Movies
- Movies & TV > Paramount Home Entertainment > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Paramount Home Entertainment > Boxed Sets
- Movies & TV > Paramount Home Entertainment > Classics
- Movies & TV > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Aliens
- Movies & TV > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Space Adventure
- Movies & TV > Star Trek