Star Trek: The Motion Picture, The Director's Cut (Special Collector's Edition)
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
- Disc 1:
- The newly restored, director's edition of the feature film
- Text commentary by Michael Okuda, co-author of the Star Trek Encyclopedia
- Disc 2:
- 3 retrospective documentaries with cast and crew interviews
- 3 trailers
- 8 television commercials
- 11 deleted scenes
- 5 additional scenes
- Storyboard archives
- New Star Trek series Enterprise promo spot
Top Customer Reviews
Of course, the main feature of this DVD is the fact that Robert Wise got to go back and take his time re-doing the effects scenes that he had to rush through in 1979, and then insert them seamlessly into the scenes shot 20 years ago, and make it all fit. Overall, it works extremely well. Some of my favorite improvements:
(1) The star field effects over the overture theme and opening credits - Sure, the moving star field over SF movies has been done many times since, but Star Trek invented it. The opening wasn't complete without it. The credits themselves have also been re-worked. The opening credits were one place where the post-production rush in 1979 really showed. It was a nice touch to clean this up.Read more ›
Paramount should be ashamed of themselves. This edit should be in theaters. This isn't a minor achievement in quality increase. This is now a great film. I am literally stunned right now.
It isn't a matter of effects, so much as it is about dynamics of motion... The tightening of scenes.... Little tweaks here and there.... An added scene here, a missing one here... Revealing more about the characters, keeping a character from being less than he should be.
First off, the Visual Effects shots are absolutely superior, while remaining exactly of the same palette as the original film. These new shots add a consistent sense of grandeur that Wise achieved so very well in some scenes, yet not at all in others. Now... Now the film is a sweeping science fiction epic... Man facing the unknown that comes from that place where no man has gone before.
The picture quality was gorgeous... the richness of the colors... Everything just gorgeous. The new sound... DEAR GOD, it was magnificent. The remix was handled to perfection and not bungled like those that were toying with SUPERMAN recently. From beginning to end there is a quality increase in the sound that never once falters to my ears on this great sound system of mine.
I'd like to tell you about the new visual effects shots, but to be honest... I can't. They are that seamlessly integrated.Read more ›
It says something for Wise's ability to work under pressure (he edited Citizen Kane, after all) that, despite mixed reviews, no major critics were able to deduce that they were viewing an unfinished film. It's also a testament to everyone involved in the project that Star Trek The Motion Picture received Academy Award nominations for Visual Effects and Musical Scoring. Nevertheless, I remember seeing the film as a 12 year old, and hearing my father complain "This film is so slow moving." And for 22 years, that has been the general consensus - ambitious plotting, great score, mostly good visual effects, poor pacing, little chemistry between the characters.
For this DVD issue, Paramount has allowed Robert Wise to do what he wanted to do all along: finish his filme. Nearly every scene has been reedited - either radically or merely fine tuned - to bring more drama, better pacing, and more emphasis on the characters. Some of the clunkier bits of dialogue have been excised, along with some unnecessary technobabble.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Holds to the original shows themes with a all star cast.It is slow in development but worth the wait . Good ending.Published 18 hours ago by Rebecca Frank
I always hope the movie will seem better to me but there's still just too much of it that isn't very good. However, as it nears its conclusion it actually gets pretty good. Read morePublished 1 day ago by Steve
My boyfriend loves Startrek so, I'm trying to learn about it and watch all the movies. It felt like this movie took a long time to get where it was going. Read morePublished 2 days ago by Chrissy A.
There wasn't the usual chemistry between the characters and the interactions seemed forced and wooden.Published 4 days ago by Amazon Customer
The movie is drawn out to showcase the newest in special effects. Can be boring in the middle, but overall a good Sunday afternoon movie to veg on the couch and be entertained...Published 4 days ago by Amazon Customer
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Customers Also Watched on Amazon Video
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Movies & TV > Boxed Sets > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
- Movies & TV > Fully Loaded DVDs > Special Editions
- Movies & TV > Fully Loaded DVDs > Two-Disc Special Editions
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Anime & Manga
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Kids & Family
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Mystery & Thrillers
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Science Fiction
- Movies & TV > Movies
- Movies & TV > Paramount Home Entertainment > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Paramount Home Entertainment > Boxed Sets
- Movies & TV > Paramount Home Entertainment > Classics
- Movies & TV > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Aliens
- Movies & TV > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Space Adventure
- Movies & TV > Star Trek