|Print List Price:||$28.95|
Save $24.96 (86%)
Simon and Schuster Digital Sales Inc
Price set by seller.
Star Trek: Signature Edition: Duty, Honor, Redemption (Star Trek: The Original Series) Kindle Edition
|New from||Used from|
|Length: 464 pages||Word Wise: Enabled||Enhanced Typesetting: Enabled|
|Page Flip: Enabled|
Kindle e-ReadersFire TabletsFire Phones
- Similar books to Star Trek: Signature Edition: Duty, Honor, Redemption (Star Trek: The Original Series)
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
The only changes to the original books are the correcting of errors, such as "McGivers" for "McGiver". Sulu also goes back to the rank of "Commander" (where McIntyre had promoted him to captain in her novelizations, as per the dropped scene from ST II that was never picked up on by the other movies).
If you've never read the ST II or ST III novelizations before, you are in for a treat. Heaps of great scenes and characters that were never in the movie! Lots of background on Saavik, Peter Preston, the Genesis Project scientists and even an explanation for why Spock's mother Amanda was not present at his Fal Tor Pan ceremony in ST III. The ST IV novelization doesn't add as much new stuff, but is still enjoyable.
The size of the print in this omnibus is very tiny and I feel sorry for people who order this book thinking it's an all-new novel, but there is so much to like about these "Signature Edition" books. I bought this even though I already have first editions of all the movie novelizations. The cover is eye-catching (the lower quarter of Kirk's colour portrait) and matches the other six books in the "Signature Edition" reprint series. Oh, there is one new component, too: a three-page essay on "Harve Bennett: The Man Behind the Movies" by Terry J Erdmann.
The books are written faithfully to the films, obviously taken from the script, with extra scenes added here and there, most of which is I suspect scenes that never made it to the final film.
Vonda N. McIntyre does a mesterful job with all the characters she writes for, and, in particular, Saavik. Ms Mcintyre explores Saavik's Romulan side in much more detail than the films.
One of the most interesting aspects of these books, for me, were the sections detailing what the Enterprise did immediately after Star Trek II, in particular, the scene where Kirk, Estaban and Carol Marcus debate the future of the Genesis Project. Another fascinating section are Saavik's eerie premonitions of Mr Spock. Having recently rewatched Star Trek III, I found it to be a little too fast paced at time, and I think it could have benefited from some of this material.
This book is a thrilling and fascinating read. I highly recommend it.
As far as Nan Lewis's several reviews with one star about buying books only to find out at home they were re-releases, a simple look at the back of the books would reveal this. Why would someone buy a book without knowing anything about it? That one-star reviews are not for the content, but the reviewer's foolishnes.
It was only in talking to a friend of mine that I came to learn of it's existence, and they compelled me to find it on Amazon and read it.
It's worth noting that I /just/ finished reading the book a couple days ago, and good lord, I found out so many more details about those three movies by reading this book.
For any true Star Trek fan, this is a "Must Have" in any collection, big or small.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I'm a big Star Trek readed (well over 100 books read) and this was the first book I've read by Vonda McIntyre. Read morePublished on February 15, 2013 by R. P. Brooks
This is one of my favorite story arcs of all time. Plus with the novelizations there is so much more background to characters such as Lt. Saavic (She's half Romulan?! Read morePublished on September 15, 2007 by Erik Slader
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > TV, Movie, Video Game Adaptations
- Books > Literature & Fiction > United States
- Books > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Mystery > Police Procedurals
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Adventure
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Alien Invasion
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Military
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Space Opera
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Movie Tie-Ins
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Mystery > Police Procedurals
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Adventure
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Military
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Space Opera
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > TV, Movie, Video Game Adaptations > Star Trek