BCA Month Beauty altText This Week in Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Customer reviews

Star Trek: The Next Generation 365
Format: Hardcover|Change

on September 27, 2012
I first heard about Star Trek: The Next Generation: 365 at the beginning of this year. From the first blurb I read online I knew I would buy this book. After all, I have been buying "glossy" Star Trek books for nearly twenty years so I pre-ordered on Amazon and began the long wait for the Autumn release.

In the months that followed, I saw the pages and teaser photos as they were released to the general public. These tiny glimpses only increased my excitement. One of the authors, Terry Erdman, also penned one of my favorite books Star Trek: Action! that had a tremendous effect on the direction I would take in my professional life.

The book arrived early and I have had it in my hands for several hours. I thumbed through it, page by page and read articles attached to pictures I have never seen. The book takes the form of a chronology in images of the run of The Next Generation. Some of the photos have been published many times over the years in books, magazines and on the Internet but there are a precious few that I had never seen and I dare say you haven't either.

There are little factoids, snippets of scripts and behind-the-scenes moments that make even this seasoned fan of the series grin with glee. The "never before seen" photos are a rare insight of both cast, crew and visitors to the set. I particularly enjoyed a glimpse into the offices of the writers and producers. Without giving away any of the good stuff: If I may be so bold, you're in for a treat. 365 is quite a book.

It is a small shame that the publishers didn't delay its production until all of TNG is released on Blu-Ray. There are "screen shots" that are particularly low-res and with my background in printing they stand out to me like a guest star using a Tricorder backwards. This is hardly the fault of the writers.

This book is full of photos that capture the spirit of why I have always wanted to work in television. I hope Terry and Paula are hard at work on another Star Trek book so I can pre-order it and start bothering them about it all over again.
on May 9, 2017
I love TNG and loved this book. It is an episode-by-episode guide to the behind the scenes experience of the writers, producers, and actors in this show. Some of the information in the book, enthusiasts are likely to already have heard, but I was surprised at some of the insights in the episode guides. After watching the Chaos on the Bridge documentary, I realized that this book did not get into a lot of the production-related drama and misery it took to get this show on the air, but some of that frank honesty comes through in parts.
on December 5, 2016
I love this Book! A great item to add to your collection or give as a gift for a Star Trek fan. I read the whole thing cover to cover and I learned a lot, and it also motivated me to go back to certain episodes and rewatch them. It reinvigorated my love for the show. My copy was used (I think there is no reason to buy this new, since the new price Is more pricey) it had the remainder mark of the bottom (black line) but honestly we don't even notice this and it doesn't lessen our enjoyment of the book.
VINE VOICEon September 21, 2013
Bought new from Amazon directly. Had a surplus mark on the top pages. Some cover wear, but I assume this was because it was sitting on the shelf somewhere before Amazon acquired them. The pages were in perfect condition, so I assume it was never previously owned, but just sat on a bookstore shelf somewhere for a year or two.

What this really is: an episode by episode guide to the series. There is a lot of content before the episode content as well. It's quite enlightening. But the episode summary is not so much a summary but a lot of behind the scenes content. It's like having commentary for the DVDs (which do not - at least my versions).

It's nice to read the pages after watching the episode. For example, the odd season 7 episode 'Masks' the book had statements by the cast to the effect that they really enjoyed performing this episode despite the departure from the traditional TNG plot style.

I highly recommend it for the current price (around $12). It has a higher MSRP, and I have seen it full price on many bookstore shelves. So buy it for the good price.
on November 16, 2012
This book, and the Original Series version that preceded it, are wonderful additions to your Star Trek collection. Lots of photos, many of which I had not seen before. I have been a fan of both series for years, and I still learned several things that I did not know by reading it. They give an excellent synopsis of each episdode, with lots of background material on the origins of the series and casting decisions. Some of the pictures in the TNG book are not great quality, but the author explains that this is due to the filming method of the episdodes and the ability to pull screen shots. This would be a perfect Christmas gift for any Next Generation fan.
on March 24, 2013
My husband is a great fan of both TNG and Ronald D Moore, so this book was a no-brainer, gift wise. I figured it would have some cool pics we'd never seen before, and some cool anecdotes about filming the show. Yeah, it had that. But to stop there would be to do this book a great disservice. It's the definitive volume on the creation of the series. Some of the stories told here may even make you cry. Fantastic pics, as one might expect. Put aside some time though, not only will you want to spend a LOT of time with this book, but you may feel an urge--as we did, to watch the whole series over again.
on January 16, 2013
He is very pleased and excited with the information he is finding in this book. He has always been a big Star Trek fan and knows a lot about the shows but seems to find new info all the time as he reads through this book. I only gave it a 4 because I was a bit disappointed with the quality of the pictures. Other reviews made it sound like they were really something special but I found the picture quality to be a bit weak. It is quite heavy, too.(that is not a bad thing since I know it will hold up)
on September 21, 2016
So this is for the Kindle Edition. It's a lot easier to lug around on my iPad or view on my computer than a big book would be. I already have the TOS version in hardcover and it IS cool, but I do prefer to read things online when I can.
on October 24, 2012
Wow!!! Star Trek the next generation. This book really fascinated me with all those beautiful pictures.
The text was even better, because it not only told the Startrek story as we have seen it on TV, but it also told me so many interesting stories from behind the scenes, how it all came together in the end.
I hope they bring out the same books about DS 9 and Voyager ! If they do, I can hardly wait to buy them too.
Service at AMAZON was first rate as usual. Walter Hoefer
on December 5, 2013
This is the definitive companion to the dvd releases. in depth look at the making of the series and the creators behind it. I am relatively new to the franchise. I started with TOS and am done with TNG. Holding this now makes me disk I had it before I started the series. The details about the episodes and how they came to be are amazing. Highly recommend if you are going to start watching the series from beginning to end like I did.