Industrial Deals Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now

Showing 1-10 of 4,045 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 5,064 reviews
on January 30, 2017
This is one of the best Star Treks I have ever seen!!!! Having grown up watching Star Trek and Star Trek Next Generation, I was very excited but a little skeptical about how this movie would turn out (think about the X-Men movies, great actors and actress, but no spark). I was very pleasantly surprised the first time I watched it. While the premise was a little crazy, the actors did such a great job that I felt this movie could be a stand alone or go with the original series! The actors were enough like the original cast, that you could easily see this as being their younger selves. Chris Pine did such a great job of giving this movie a hint of comedy without making it a farce! Certainly this is a great gateway to what I hope with be a string of good movies.
on April 15, 2017
I love this movie, but the review I am leaving is more about the movie you are buying and what comes with it rather than how good the film is. I bought this thinking "Oh digital copy great!" When I received the blu-ray the digital copy is only for iTunes which if you know does not talk to DisneyMovies or VUDU making it a hassle if you are wanting to watch a digital version because they are not all in one place. No where in the description does it say that the digital copy is for iTunes, which yes I know some people don't care about that, but I am one who does since I do not use iTunes.

I am giving it 3 stars because yes it says that it comes with a digital copy, but it is lacking any details about the digital copy or additional pictures that how the back for you to see that it says iTunes on the back.
on April 13, 2017
This is a very fun and entertaining film. The pacing, action scenes, special effects, and the acting are all well done. My only complaint is that there are too many coincidences that take place throughout the film in an attempt to bring all the characters into the same roles they had in the original series. The producers made a big deal about how this version was going to be different than the original. In order to do this they introduce time travel so that events in this timeline are not the same as the original. But then they proceed to bring all the main characters into the exact roles they had in the original series in a way that feels forced and ridiculous at times.
on August 23, 2014
Star Trek 2009 started in the distant future with an explosion in the Romulan empire. Some background on that background is actually contained in a few comic books that do a good job of summarizing that future that ended with Spock and Nero traveling backward in time, ultimately changing the past which changed the future.

They don't tell us in the 2009 reboot how the universe managed to reorganize itself in a matter of less than a century (more like 25 years) but I have my theory, and there are many other theories. If you have a theory different than mine, add a comment at the end of this review.

Do you remember the TOS episode where McCoy accidentally overdosed himself, traveled back in time, changing time? Kirk had to allow his newest love interest to die, in order to restore the spirit. That device they passed through was the Guardian of Forever, and near the end of the episode, the Guardian told them that the present had been restored to what it should have been.

I really enjoy the new reboot of the old original Star Trek, and the producers did it in such a way that I totally believe it.

More than a century in the future, Spock tries to save the Romulan homeworld, but fails, and Nero blames him. They both get trapped in a wormhole that takes Nero's advanced ship back to the day of James Kirk's birth, and his actions change history.

We don't hear anything but hints, but I believe the Guardian of Forever (remember that stone ring that McCoy went through when he was drunk?) is manipulating time so that Kirk and his crew can come together years earlier than they did in the first reality.

In addition to highly recommending the movie to all Trekkies everywhere, and to new viewers who can fall in love with it all over again, I also highly recommend the book. It is wonderful, and helps us understand some of the plot with additional details that did not fit into the movie.

I didn't catch who the prize beagle was until I read the book. Admiral Archer's prize beagle? Remember "Star Trek Enterprise?" Captain Archer had his beagle on board the Enterprise with him. In the book, the beagle appears in one of the corridors of the enterprise at the end of the book. I wish they had included that in the movie.

I have watched this movie six or eight times so far, and will watch it multiple times more.
on April 17, 2015
This is an excellent new version of the classic Star Trek series of TV episodes and movies. It's not the Next Generation. It's the original redone 43 years later, with the technology--and budget--available now. Minimal attempts to imitate the originals, the characters are mostly new actors playing the same parts. Dr. McCoy in particular IS McCoy. Good story, good acting. Pick a rainy day and rent this one, then the second one which is free under Prime video. They're worth watching in sequence. Next up, the third installment to coincide with the 50th anniversary of Star Trek in 2016.
on April 21, 2017
A fun movie by itself. Full of action, and more action. I am a Star Trek fan, so I didn't feel this movie was connected to what came before. I did not get more then a general idea about the characters (since they are so different), and I guess what can be done in the allotted time to develop them (the crew).
The lens flairs are particularly annoying, obscuring the screen at times, like an attempt to hide the ship and actors, basically that sucked. I saw this movie in theaters, and did not care for any behind the scenes, I am okay with the theatrical version.
on May 3, 2013
This is a great movie if you like Star Trek you will love this one. Most of the people chosen to play the original characters are very good, but the very best one is Bones, the doctor. The actor who portrays Bones is spot on. He really has studied the character as originally played by DeForest Kelly. He has his walk, talk, mannerisms and inflections down pat and he looks a lot like Mr. Kelly too. Then there is Spock who is also great. He really looks like Spock and acts the part well. I could go on and on about the cast, but you should see this yourself. It is terrific and I can't wait for the next one, "Into the Darkness."
on July 23, 2016
I may be biased as a lifetime trek fan (trekkie) but I believe the latest series of movies captures what trek was always about, while providing cliffhanging action and adventure at the same time that will capture an entirely new audience (new generation of Trekkies). Probably pains the traditional trek fans to see the Enterprise destroyed in so many ways, but it helps people see its truly the crew that makes the ship, not the ship itself (yeah...former Navy too.)
on October 29, 2015
I didn't think I'd like this new launch of Star Trek, but Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto are very credible as younger James T. Kirk and Mr. Spock. Of course, it was a immensely enjoyable that Leonard Nimoy reprized his role as Spock and did so flawlessly. The story was solid, action scenes were edge-of-seat, and Chris Pine has flawless comedic timing! All in all, definitely 5-stars and a new fan for this reboot of one of my favorite television series!
on July 4, 2016
At first I did not like this movie at all. It was too much of a departure from the core concept that makes Star Trek what it is.Nevertheless, I did give this movie (and the second one 'Into The Darkness') another chance, and i'm glad I did. The most important thing is to keep the dream of living and working in space alive for the next generations. This reboot will do just fine serving that purpose. The new timeline lets the writers to take the characters in new directions. Hopefully the TV series starting in 2017 will be equally as good. Next month the 50th anniversary film is in the theaters. I hope the writers and director did a good job on it. Star Trek is not just another science fiction show. It's more than than to so many people around the world. It deserves the best for its 50th anniversary..