Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 156 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 198 reviews
on January 7, 2014
I liked this game, despite some of the bad reviews. It is unlike other Star Wars video games in that it is a much more "Command and Conquer" style strategy game, as opposed to a Knights of the Old Republic Jedi role playing game or a Battlefront first person shooter type game. It takes some strategy, and the AI in the game is interesting, though does seem a bit random at times in terms of the computer's strategy.

This game does get a bit repetitive after a while. That is a valid criticism, but most Command and Conquer style games are like that. That is simply the nature of the beast. I think most people who are fans of this style game are used to that.

As with many Star Wars games, you can choose whether you want to be Empire or Rebel alliance. So, it is sort of a choose your own adventure in that way. I liked that. i found the missions and story lines are different, depending on which side you choose. I found that interesting as well.

Overall I liked it. The game is a few years old, so it does not have cutting edge graphics anymore. Personally, I think that is fine. Games from this vintage are still a lot of fun.

My one major criticism of the game is that it will not recognize my USB gamepad, regardless of whatever I try. I hate having to play games like this solely on keyboard/mouse. I hear there are a few patches and external programs that can get your gamepad to work, but I never could jury rig it. It is still enjoyable, but I found that annoying.

Overall, I give the game 4 stars out of 5. It has a few quirks, but it is a good overall Star Wars game, provided you like Command and Conquer style strategy games.
on April 30, 2015
I brought this set as the chance to play some RTS Star Wars appealed to me a bit. I was a bit worried about my OS as I'm running Win 8.1 on a new i5 system and was worried about the games not running well on it. This turned not to be a problem at all. First the installation went mostly smoothly. Both games have a code that is entered to install both games. It's a bit confusing if your are only installing the base game as the expansion pack item won't be available unless you selected the center item that installed the WHOLE gold pack. If you install both items (the base game and expansion), you first enter the base game number which then installs and then the installer asked for the expansion pack number and after you enter it, it installs the expansion pack. After you're done the install item becomes the play item and you select what you want to play. I have Win 8.1 and decided to play the sample mission to see how well the game would run on my system. The game started up with no problems except I had to change the resolution from 1024x768 to 1366x768 as that's the default for my LCD monitor. The game ran great on it and the controls were easy to use and just what I expected. I noted that the tutorials have a number of different missions to get you used to playing the different types of units and missions you will encounter. I found the game play to be very entertaining and felt right at home with the controls. I was very surprised at how well this game played on my Win 8.1 system, given that I have a few older Star Wars games (X-Wing and TIE Fighter) that had some problems at first, the ease that this game run with was really nice. A good buy!
on February 21, 2014
The only Star Wars based strategy game I ever really liked was the now much aged "Star Wars Rebellion". That game could use an update for the die hard computer war sim enthusiased who is also a Star Wars fan. This game tries to mimic elements of Rebellion, and update them with a more sleek graphics' package, but I think misses the mark.

Rebellion had an excellent resource management system, and an overall excellent game balance. The only thing it needed was a graphics update, and nothing more. But this game tries to go several steps beyond that offering tactical situations fr the ground forces, which, to me at least, don't quite work as they seem a little cartoonish, or almost like extensions of other games on the market (The Age of Empires series as an example).

There is an element of Bungie's "Myth" series (another excellent series of games that are now somewhat long in the tooth), and I think again here Star Wars Empire at War sufferes for it by trying to emulate other succesful games instead of sticking with its tried and true forms. Example; the Dark Forces series, even though the first one was a bit of a DOOM clone, was story driven. And the story and game were ramped up to a 3D realm in DF2 Jedi Knight, a most excellent game that pushed the envelope for players, and delivered with larger maps and a much better story in spite of some of the tradeoffs in graphics.

Empire at War tries to have the cake and eat it too, I think. It's an excellent effort, but I found myself putting it down, and I wasn't sure.why. I think it's because Star Wars, for me at least, is a personal experience. When I played Star Wars Rebellion I felt a connection with my forces as I ordered C3PO and R2 to deploy my forces and address issues around the galaxy. I didn't get that connection with Empire at War. Then again I am an older guy, so it could be a maturity thing as well.

If you're a die hard SW fan, then give it a shot.
on October 24, 2013
I was glad to see that I could get both SWEAW and the Expansion Pack FOC for about the same price that I have seen just the SWEAW program at other stores. Some people complained about problems with getting the expansion pack to work being that they are on the same disk, but I never had any issues. Both of the programs installed without a hitch and I had them both up and running with no issues within 10 minutes of opening the CD case. This particular star wars game is a little different than most of the other ones I have played. If you have played Star Wars Battlefront or Battlefront II then you most likely are familiar with the Galactic Conquest Mode. Well, if you enjoyed that, you will love this game, as it takes the idea of Galactic Conquest to a whole new level. You can enjoy planetary bonuses just like Galactic Conquest, but in Empire at War you can create different units on each of your planets depending on what buildings you construct there. Combat is a little different than Galactic Conquest as well. Rather than being a first person shooter, you command whole groups of soldiers. And you can decide which type of ground or space troop you call in as reinforcements. You must decide which planets you have the bulk of your troops on, as the enemy will constantly attack planets that are conveniently located or that have a particular planetary bonus. If you are attacked on a planet that you only have, say one squadron of fighter planes at, it will be very difficult to defend that planet as you will have to rely on the reinforcements that are automatically spawned by the computer, which are few and far between. This game, IMO, does a great job at combining strategic placement, resource allocation, and good old-fashioned power in numbers into a great game worthy of being part of the Star Wars legacy.
on May 30, 2013
I bought the game with the expansion under the impression that I'd be able to play both. I did the whole "scan your system" on multiple sites to make sure the game would run and Empire at War runs just fine, however the expansion "Forces of Corruption will not. FOC freezes when I open it and I have no idea why. It's pretty disappointing that I paid extra for nothing, essentially. If anyone has any suggestions for how I could fix this and get the FOC expansion running, I'd appreciate it very much.

I'm not sure how to fix the issue, but other than that, I enjoy this game. I had owned it before but lost the game disc and I decided to give it another go. It's an enjoyable game to play, but the reason I got it originally is because it's a star wars game. I've played a few RTS games and they've all been good, but I never felt compelled to buy them. This game is your typical, run-of-the-mill RTS, nothng too special and it does get a bit repetitive, but it's a great option to have when you're looking to kill time.

Interestingly enough, the campaign mode on medium seems to be significantly harder than galactic conquest on medium.
on December 2, 2012
Absolute fantastic game. I was a bit sketchy about getting this but did on a whim simply because I am a Star Wars fan. It is very well done and captures the Star Wars universe fantastically whether it be the space battles or the planetary battles. There are a few quirks in that the tutorial is so quick, and it explains so much so quick that you are left a bit overwhelmed as to what to do when you are put out on your own. It can be very confusing at first if you do not know what to do, how to do it and when to do it. With time however it pretty much comes second nature and you can get going forward as far as galactic conquest whether you choose to play as the Empire or as the Rebellion. I recommend it to those that are experienced with RTS games and are fans of the Star Wars universe.
on January 28, 2014
It's a really good game that I highly recommend. There aren't enough good SW Real Time Strategy (RTS) games out there. This is really unique in that you are sourcing your units not for the battle you're in but from all the systems you've conquered. Each one has different advantages/disadvantages and you can build differently to suit your needs.

My only issue is that after you've been playing a while and have a good grasp on the game, it becomes too easy. I've never had an RTS game before that I knew I could consistently win playing on the hardest setting. There is a multiplayer option. It's good to be able to bring in someone who's not AI, but you need to remember that you're playing to conquer the galaxy. Games can take a long time to complete.
on May 21, 2014
How in the entirety of the world could you pass up the opportunity to be an Imperial, a Rebel and then moonlight as a criminal mastermind? I wouldn't know. This game is timeless RTS game that is as fun as it is fun. Did I mention fun? Everything from creating vast armies to destroying planets, suddenly becomes an option to you in the game. I wish they would create a new version of these games using a more modern game engine. (Sometimes, having maxed out all my units, my computer would slow as the war raged on). I would recommend this to any fan of the Star Wars EU, and to any fan of real time strategy games. I wish you all the best of luck on annihilating your enemies, one planet at a time.
on May 6, 2017
I have tried everything but still no luck in getting this game to work. The EAW does work but the expansion does not
on November 22, 2013
One of the things I love about Empire at War is the ability to play as both Rebel and Imperial stories. For me, most of the fun is in pretending to be a ruthless and cold-hearted Imperial bringing the galaxy under the rule of the Emperor and squashing the rebellion with the might of the Imperial armies. The fact that Forces of Corruption added a new "evil" faction just made it that much more fun. The only downside was the single-player expansion game was fairly short and some missions became unplayable when certain characters were taken away from me. A little warning would have been nice, but the Galactic Conquest mode gave me plenty of fun.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.