Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning ballerss3 ballerss3,
image-map-link=rect  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7, starting at $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 55 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 144 reviews
The Legacy of the Force series (9 books) is becoming way to similar to The New Jedi Order series (19 books). In both series there is too much time devoted to the thought making processes of the various characters. All decisions are analyzed to the nth degree. The books in these two series could have benefited from significant editing.

In Legacy of the Force we have known most of the way so far that Jacen Solo was going to end up embracing the Dark Side. The readers know it and the major characters know it, but apparently nothing can be done about it except to discuss how serious the problem is. Sacrifice by Karen Traviss is the fifth book in the series, and finally Jacen at the end refers to his new Sith name of Darth Caedus. Maybe some action will be taken in the remaining books.

We also know that Jacen has to sacrifice a loved one, i.e., a main character, in order to become a true Sith. He agonizes greatly over who it will be, so I really don’t understand why the publishers gave us a very strong hint with the character featured on the cover.

Ms Traviss is a very experienced author. She certainly can write a good book, building action and tension as she goes. It is just the constant interludes of internal discussion and weighing possibilities that drive me crazy. The book could have moved along and been much more fun to read. I also find that I grow tired of the Star Wars habit of going to completely different areas of the story each time the chapter changes. There are no rules that say you can’t stick with the same plotline for several chapters.

Boba Fett is back with a major role in Sacrifice. We spend a fair amount of time with the Mandalorians. It was good to see him again. Some of his story is separate from the main plot, and some of it ties in. We do get to meet some new people who are associated with him. The book has a number of important characters – the Solo family, the Skywalkers with son Ben being very important, Lumiya, and Alema Rar. One new character is actually a Sith spaceship that Ben stumbles onto on Ziost. It is very close to being a sentient being and is fondly known simply as Ship.

Time to move on to Inferno, the sixth book in Legacy of the Force.
on July 13, 2017
I've heard some people say that books by Karen Travis aren't very good, or that they should even be avoided outright. However after reading Sacrifice, I don't think those people could be more wrong. I've thoroughly enjoyed the Legacy of the Force series so far and, for me, this one tops all of the previous entries. The individual stories and characters are continued and developed very well, and some of the last events in the book really threw me for an emotional loop (which is something that doesn't often happen for me). I look forward to finishing the series, and I'll definItely be checking out other books by Traviss afterwards.
on March 15, 2017
great book, great story... too bad Disney killed the EU now this story is pointless. Really liked a lot of the characters and it really felt like Star Wars
on June 30, 2017
A great ending to a great series. Can't wait to listen to "The fate of the Jedi" series to find out what happens next.
on December 14, 2012
Having bounced a round the Star Wars books some I knew that some one was going to die, and I also had a idea who it would be. I was surprised that it wasn't who I thought it would have been and that it wasn't just a rehash of the Darth Vader story. The characters are well done and I am relieved to find that despite this series is written by 3 or 4 different authors that everything ties in cleanly throughout the books. Han and Leia make spot appearances in the book but this tends to focus mostly on Jacen and Ben's story. I really enjoy how you can see the growth from teenager to adult that Ben is forced to make, and the times when he shows his innocence. This book kept my attention and kept me turning pages. the only draw back was that the story jumps around between characters a lot. and i know it is done to show that things are happening at the same time but it happens so much and doesn't seem to flow well for me. I find myself having to switch gears so much that i had to reread sections to get it straight in my mind.
on December 23, 2012
To start off with the main point in my review; Since I've only read up until Inferno thus far, I can honestly say that this is the best one in this series of Star Wars books so far since the pace is generally a lot higher than in the other books. It's action packed and I often found myself closing my Kindle app to blow off some steam on what just happened in the storyline.

Having read through Traviss' work before I read this book, you can clearly see that she implemented hints towards her own characters from earlier works (Commando series). This doesn't really have a big impact on the reader if you haven't done so as well but it's one of those things that make you chuckle because you know exactly who is being referenced.

All in all, it's one of the best additions in the series and I personally believe it's one of Traviss' best works done in the Star Wars universe.
on April 27, 2016
Everything I've written so far by Karen Travis is golden. Oya, not only does she understand the Mandalorian culture; she develops the solos and skywalkers family situation in depth rather than superficially. I hate to stop reading her work, but one does have to get up in the morning and go to work to pay for luxuries like electricity and more books.
I read this book with great sadness, as I had known the outcome from other sources. This book is the turning point of the series. The pieces of the puzzle begin to fit, and Mara gains understanding about what she has to do. Luke, Ben, and Jacen will never be the same.

The book is well written, though I wasn't as moved as I was in "Bloodlines." Boba Fett's story is second to the main plot, but he makes a discovery that is completely unexpected; and his life will change, also.

Had I not been forewarned, I think I would have been very upset, but I've had a lot of time to prepare. If it had to happen, there was no one better to do it. Well done, Karen Traviss.
on March 11, 2017
such an amazing addition to the true starwars series aka not Disney.
on February 15, 2017
this series is the best this book is awesome I could not find it in the library so I got them on Amazon and it's worth it.