BCA Month Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Star Wars: Darth Plagueis (Star Wars - Legends)
Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on June 26, 2017
I'll put it simple, if you felt the pre-quells were less than satisfying, then read this book. No, it's not the story of Anakin Skywalker, but it tells the tale of how his "puppet master" came to be so powerful and duplicitous. If you liked the the prequels then this novel fills in a tremendous amount of Gaps Lucas left in the script. My only complaint is that it begins a little slow, which surprises me from James Luceno. However, once Palpatine is introduced, the novel is one you will not put down!
on September 15, 2017
There were so many names... always names. This made the book confusing at times. Perhaps this wasn't a good entry into the Star Wars novel universe. Even knowing what each species looks like can be challenging.

But, there were some fun elements. I would have liked more villainy, though. Grabbing power feels very Game of Thrones, but I wanted to see the dark in the dark side. The terror. The screaming.
on March 24, 2015
Darth Plagueis is a book on not just one sith lord, but two: the one whom the novel's title is named after, and Darth Sideous. It describes each Sith Lord's rise to power. Darth Sideous was the face of the sith, yes, but the Sith Grand Plan had two masterminds, one whom was the face- the voice and one who set the ground work from the shadows. If you want to know what set the Galactic Civil War into motion, how the Sith rised up once again from defeated near-obscurity and years of hiding and subterfuge, get this book!
on May 5, 2015
It's very difficult to write science fiction. It's even more difficult to tackle the origins of the greatest Sith Lord and one of the most iconic villains in science fiction history. James Luceno is, luckily, up to the task. A must-have for every Star Wars fanboy (even if it's no longer considered canon).
on December 22, 2015
This is my first Star Wars book, and it exceeded my expectations in every way. I had no idea of the philosophical depth of the Sith vs. Jedi perspective on the Force. To me, this gave the book substance that you could actually relate to your real life. But above all, Sidious and Plagueis are beautifully developed as characters. Even though they are the "bad guys", you actually relate to them and see how one could be drawn to the Sith way of thinking. I watched the new Star Wars (Episode 7) after reading this book, and was just disgusted at how shallow the new movie was compared to the depth of the Star Wars world.

For a newbie like me, it was hard to keep up with the character, planets, and starship types getting thrown around, but it didn't distract from my appreciate of the characters and underlying philosophy at all.

Just a great book and really sucked me in. One of those books that you don't want to finish because you're having such a good time reading it.
on July 13, 2017
The best Star Wars book I've read to date. Loved the intricate way that this story leads into the prequels.
on December 29, 2015
James cleverly links all the behind the scene plotting of Plagueis and Sidious that are set during the time of The Phantom Menace. After reading this book, I have grown more , appreciative of the film. It discusses how the Dark Lords planned everything that led to the destruction of the Republic and the fall of the Jedi Order that although implied is not fully explained in the prequel films. I'd recommend this book to any Star Wars fan, especially those disappointed with the prequels, who want to learn of the larger story behind the ascension of the Sith. This book is the embodiment of what Phantom Menace should have been.
on November 13, 2012
I just finished this book, and overall I enjoyed it. I felt that the first part of the third act was a tad dull though, although it did ramp up quite nicely. I never really got the payoff that I was hoping for though.

*BEGIN SPOILERS*

I fully expected to see how exactly it was that Plagueis influenced the midi-chlorians to "create life". We didn't see that here, and it was a bit of a disappointment. When it was clear that he had no knowledge of Anakin's "birth", I then expected to see some sort of twist where Sidious was the one who performed the deed, making Sidious Anakin's "father" of sorts. But we don't get that payoff either. Although there is a little piece of dialogue in the very end that I'm not quite sure what to make of, that could point in that direction. I'm sure it is intentionally left open-ended.

It was cool to see Plagueis becoming more and more twisted and malformed over the course of the novel, as though the dark side was exerting its will over him, even though he thought he was the one in charge.

Luceno does a great job of weaving all the little threads together from Episode I and the Expanded Universe novels. I imagine if one hasn't read Cloak of Deception and Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter, they may be a little lost at some points. I intend to go back and reread those again now, just as a refresher.

*END SPOILERS*

I like Luceno's style a lot, and I think he did a good job with this one, but the answers provided in this novel are not necessarily to the questions you might hope to have answered. If you like the political stuff, like I do, then you should enjoy this book. If not, you might have a tough time with this one.
on December 21, 2015
This book gives us insight into not only the secret double life of darth plagueis, but also an exclusive look into a young Palpatine and even Maul. This book is a must have for true Star Wars fans like myself and I recommend it. This is hands down one of the best Star Wars books ever written, but make sure your knowledge of the universe is adept as you will get lost in: terminology, planets, history, and species. At least keep a Star Wars wiki app or webpage open to assist you.
on February 18, 2017
If you are fan of star wars and want to dig deeper into who Darth Siddius was before the movies this is the book for you. I was always intrigued when he spoke of Plaguies in the movie briefly and this book fills you in on who he was as well. The writing and suspense is thrilling,Siddius is written in line with the movies. Reading this book was like watching a movie,for me.