Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Format: Spiral-bound|Change

Showing 1-10 of 97 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 101 reviews
on December 4, 2014
Funny when I ordered this for my son I had read the previous reviews and was worried that when it came it would be dried out. My son had seen this kit is the Crayola store in Kansas City and was ready to buy it there but dad talked him into being a smart consumer and checking prices elsewhere. Amazon had a lower price so we went for it.
The reason I said that the situation was humorous was instead of the kit coming dried out... it came way more wet than I expected. I opened it expecting to find it possibly dry, and the pads were more like sponges than ink pads. I guess I was expecting ink pads but they were more like wet paint on little sponges. They were however very wet.
I am not sure if the company tried to compensate for the dry review from previous purchaser and added water to them before they shipped, or if this is how wet they usually come. but, that being said...
I wished that they were ink pads instead of paint pads. They are paint pads on sponges. When you use paint instead of ink your finger prints end up more like blob than actual fingerprints with ridges. The coolness of the product is that you want to actually tell they are fingerprints.
Sure you could put the paint on your finger. dab it off a few times until you get to the good print spot then make your real print, but then you are somewhat wasting the paint/product by making test prints until your print is right, plus a 6 or 7 year old is going to want to just start printing not dabbing and test printing. The paint ends up on the sides of your fingers if you press down, which is what the average boy is going to do, then each print even if dabbed ends up with a paint ridge ring around the outside of it.
I guess I had high hopes for this product. and don't get me wrong he did make a whole battledroid army scene, vs the Gungans from episode 1 on our giant roll of butcher paper. But if it was ink pads I would not have had to supervise as much as I did with the paint.
Good scores for encouraging boys to work with pencils and lines. He felt confident he was able to make these on his own even though he does have some trouble with fine motor like many little boys with writing.
Sadly after that one use of me supervising so that paint would not end up where it shouldn't. The kit has not been used. He has not mentioned it, and I have not been excited to get it out. I think I will get some ink pads in similar colors and have him give it a go again. You could always save that step and get ink pads and look up ideas online as a guide. Great idea! but I feel the only way to save it is to switch to ink pads.
on January 5, 2017
Gift for our 7 yr old daughter ! She loves it and has a lot of fun with it. She had a little trouble at the beginning making the perfect little figures, but after a few minutes she was a pro at it and had a lot of fun ! The paint seems to be wash off easily and dry quickly on the pages ! This book is a great way to keep creativity going and also involve Star Wars a little bit :) Perfect for the indoor fun !
on May 2, 2014
My 5 year old son LOVES this kit. He created all the characters it taught him, and now he is coming up with his own fun creations. It has been a huge hit since Christmas of 2013.
on March 24, 2017
My 11 year old son got this as a gift and he loves to doodle and draw all the time. I thought he would love it, but he was rather disappointed that his first attempts didn't come out quite right. I encouraged him to try again, testing the size of fingerprints on other paper first and now he loves it again. So my only advice is, perfect the technique of fingerprinting on a scrap paper before you begin to put them in the book! This is no fault of the book, so I'm definitely giving it five stars!
on December 22, 2016
Super cute !! Saw this in another store and was super excited to find it cheaper on amazon!! I got this for my son for christmas and cannot wait to give it to him. While I am sure its going to be a messier item I cannot get over the cute side !! The pictures and how to's on each page get cuterand cuter. Really love this and so glad I found it !!
on December 4, 2015
I bought this based on the reviews I read. It's a bit lame. After the product description and the reviews, I was expecting better... This is a gift so I am unable to comment on the ink pads but they do APPEAR very dry. I wouldn't buy this again but I'm not upset that I bought it.
on November 7, 2014
Super cute! Got this for a little boy who was in the hospital. If your kid likes starwars, this will almost certainly be a hit! Fun & quiet activity. I'd also say it is good for airplanes or car rides, so long as you have some wipes available to clean up little fingers.
on April 30, 2017
I grew up with thumb print pics! I wanted my niece and nephew to grow up with them also. So glad that this set is right up their ally with star wars! Great way to keep an old fun art form current and relative for today's kids.
on January 25, 2017
This was a gift for my 7 year old son, who loves art and Star Wars. This is a fun book. It is full of examples and suggestions and offers plenty of room and prompts for creating your own scenes.
on March 17, 2017
This was a fantastic purchase. The boy who received it loves this Thumb Doodles book. It is cleverly put together, and I confess--I even tried making a thumb creation and was immediately sucked in: I just wanted to sit down and doodle some more. It is very fun. I do wish the ink pen had a slightly finer point to it... but really, that's just nit-picking. It's a great product.