CHOKING HAZARD -- Small parts. Not for children under 3 yrs.
Star Wars X-Wing Miniatures Game Core Set
|Price:||$26.67 & FREE Shipping on orders over $49. Details|
|You Save:||$13.32 (33%)|
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- A game of tactical space combat in the Star Wars universe for two players
- Take control of the most advanced starfighters in the galaxy
- Contains three detailed, painted miniatures: one X-wing and two TIE fighters
- Build your squadron selecting from thirteen Ship cards and five Upgrade cards
- Straightforward quick-play rules will have you battling in mere minutes
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
From the Manufacturer
Top Customer Reviews
First, one thing that sets this game apart is that there's no board. You play on whatever tabletop you have available. That can give you a very wide area to play in. It can mean some long-distance chases. It also means that you can introduce your own obstacles, if you want. (The set includes a number of asteroid obstacles, but it could be fun to add your own objects for planet size interference, etc.)
Game play occurs in 5 phases:
1. Planning. Players dial in a move in the ship's movement dial and lay it face down by the ship. Every ship has a different movement dial, which gives it different maneuvering characteristics. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses.
2. Activation phase. The ships are moved according to the movement dial following a set order. A template -- basically, a curved or straight rectangle -- is available for each maneuver. This indicates where the ship ends up at the end of its phase. (This is where pilots try to outwit each other. Guessing and second guessing -- like paper-rock-scissors on steroids.)
3. Combat phase. Pilots that have others in their sights may fire on them. There are firing arc markers on the ship bases and a weapon range ruler to determine the possibility and accuracy for a shot. Players firing roll firing dice. Players being shot at role defense dice. This is where ships take damage and blow up.
4. End phase.Read more ›
One of the major negatives is the price. Here, at Amazon, it sits at a good price point, elsewhere, its 10 to 15 dollars more expensive. Buying this game on-line is the way to go. I would recommend picking up the core set (probably an additional one too) and pick up at least one each of the expansions. Fantasy Flight games does a wonderful job explaining the rules, packaging their sets, and giving you plenty bang for your buck. These guys are the Porsche of board games. You can't go wrong with this. It is simply addicting.
The problem I have found in so many mini games is that they are either too complex or too simplistic. They miss that elusive mark of 'fun' for me and my boys. In my opinion this game hits the mark, its a 'Goldilocks' style of game, not to simple, not to complex, it is just right.
My almost 10 year old son and I have a blast playing together. We can wrap-up most games in under an hour, sometimes close to 30 minutes if we keep the squads small.
The X-wing's wing mounted laser cannons are very fragile, but the tie fighters are strong enough. I wouldn't let my 5 year old play with any of them, but he has had the Y-wing for six months and it is still in one piece.
There is a very active online community that generates missions, scenarios and is very helpful and cordial when it comes to newbie's questions and confusions. You should be able to find plenty of support material to keep the game fresh for some time to come.
The miniatures themselves look great. Their proportions look spot-on, except for the tie fighter, to me it seems a tad too large. The paintjobs on the X-wing, Tie and Y-wing look fantastic.
So far the game seems reasonably balanced. At first I was concerned that the tie fighter's agility and barrel roll maneuvers would out class the X-wing but as of six games played it seems to be a pretty fair fight once you get some of the special abilities and weapons on the Rebel ships.
I am waiting for my second Core Set as I write this and I am dying to purchase the Falcon, the Tie Interceptor and every other ship they produce. It is simply a very fun game.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
If you love miniature games, you will love this game. The only bad part is you really need two base sets for dice, but with the new The Force Awakens set; you can have two... Read morePublished 11 days ago by Prime Lover
Well this is my first review on Amazon and it is not looking to good. First let me say the game is very fun for the one game we were able to play. Read morePublished 18 days ago by Lee
Love this game! Great price and quick shipping! I can admit I am now hooked and plan on buying alot of expansions for it. Read morePublished 21 days ago by sarah
I want to preface this review by saying that the game mechanics themselves are pretty enjoyable. The issue I have is that the miniature stands are made of the worst plastic I've... Read morePublished 1 month ago by Otto Klahn
The pack arrived 1 week sooner,
the game is amazing!
The miniatures are perfect,
I just was disappointed on the token/movement bars, tough was made of plastic,... Read more
LOVE this game, and came in a very quick and timely manner. Have anxiously been waiting it's arrival and enjoy playing all of the time.Published 1 month ago by Daniel