Industrial Deals HPC Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Ski Trip Essentials nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New year, new music. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade 2018 Planners modern furniture and decor Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon thechi thechi thechi  Echo Dot Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now

on September 8, 2011
I own a Dell XPS L702X laptop. I ordered this adapter so I can connect second monitors and projectors that require the VGA connection. My laptop runs both Windows 7 and Ubuntu/Kubuntu. For the Linux OS, I do have to have this adapter plugged into the computer when I first turn it on else the Linux OS won't recognize it. However, most people run Windows and they will be happy to know that it is completely plug-n-play on the Win7 side and requires no restarting.

The only glitch I've noticed is the compatibility with only ONE Epson projector and it is only that there can be seen very slight "wiggling" of the image on the screen with certain colors displayed on the screen. It does NOT happen with the other Epson projector I own, nor the Samsung flat monitor or the Dell flat monitor I own. All other devices I have connected with it work perfectly. It must only be a rare compatibility issue with the image settings of either my video card, that particular monitor's color settings, or both. I do not believe this will be something that others will experience.

Great price, Amazon shipped quickly, very happy with purchase!
22 comments| 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
Well made adapter, works like a charm and does not take up much space in the gadget bag. Price was way better than Microsofts, which didn't even have this adapter on their site; my price comparison is for the one for the Surface RT, which uses mini-USB. IF you have a Surface PRO... this is the one you NEED.
33 comments| 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 8, 2013
Great product and works as stated. Bought it for my Acer Aspire V5-122p-0600 laptop . I put it into my mini display port & connected a HDMI cable to it and the other end to LCD TV & it worked immediately. Video & audio came thru the adapter. Would highly recommend getting this adapter.
on March 25, 2016
This thing worked great!!! After trying just about everything to get my desktop on a Dell laptop to be shown through a projectors image, on the wall AT the same time, was like trying to get into Fort Knox!!!!

I don't have any old style video port (blue in color) on my laptop, just HDMI and Mini Display Port. I connected the laptop to the ViewSonic projector via the HDMI cable I had and no matter what I did, I couldn't get the laptop's desktop to display on the wall and still see the desktop/use the mouse on the laptop at the same time. I could see the laptop's desktop on the wall through the projector but the screen on the laptop was black. I tried disabling the display drivers, one at a time, which I have 2 of on this souped up laptop: one Intel and the other nVidia, but nothing worked.

I finally purchased this Mini Display Port to VGA video Adapter and as soon as I turned on the projector after connecting the cables up to the laptop, B-A-M.....the screen on the laptop's desktop grew black bars on both sides and as soon as the projector warmed up, the laptop's desktop was displayed on the wall AT the same time!!!! YEA!!!!! My wife can now see AND use her laptop's screen and the mouse at the same time as the image is being displayed on the wall where her students are looking!!!!!

My wife's happy......she's the one using the laptop with the projector when she's teaching classes.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 7, 2013
This little guy was just what i needed to connect my Surface Pro to random VGA projectors for displaying PowerPoint slides. What can I say? Works perfectly. And, it's not white and it cost much less than the one from Microsoft!
on May 18, 2014
Product did arrive in time as promised. Packaging was good and easy to open.

What is good about it

1. Price.
The Microsoft certified / sold my Microsoft is more than 2 times the cost of this product. It works as good as the original product. So why pay more than double the cost ! I waited for these many days to write the review only to check the durability. Normally electronic products fail in the first few days or they would last quite long. So I hope this would work well for a long time.

2. Appearance
The plastic finish is quite good. My friend has bought the original adapter from BestBuy paying twice the cost but looks more or less the same.

What is not so good about it

I do not have any complaints.

Base line
It is worth the price. Even if it fails, I can buy another one and still spend less than the one sold at Best Buy.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 18, 2013
These cables work perfectly on my laptop.. Lenovo T430 series. Output on my TV is great.. transmits both audio and video with a single cable!
on March 14, 2013
Works great with my MSFT Surface Pro. Used it tonight with my Samsung HDTV and it worked beautifully. Very happy with the video quality and the price. Quality of picture was much better with the StarTech.com MDP2HDMI Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Video Adapter Converter, but most businesses still have only VGA adapters. Same for where I work.
on January 9, 2012
I got this adapter over the Cirago Mini DisplayPort to VGA Active Adapter (DPA2011) because it was less expensive. But let me tell you, it works! It actually works!! If I had a dollar for every VGA or DVI adapter out there that was poor quality control junk, then I'd be raking it in. I was so pleased when this adapter instantly worked with no questions asked. I've heard that the Cirago adapter is also very nice and works beautifully, but I haven't tried it myself.

The real reason I got this is because it's an ACTIVE adapter. I have a MacBook Pro 15" Late 2011, and when I try to boot in Windows 7 while using an external monitor, there's absolutely no picture on the screen if I'm using a regular VGA adapter. The Mac OS works fine. HOWEVER, StarTech came to the rescue, and after weeks of grueling agony without my nice monitor, I can FINALLY use both operating systems on the big screen!

The problem with regular (or "passive") VGA adapters is that they need software to convert the digital signal to analog. Some computers have it and some don't. The *StarTech* adapter is awesome because it has built-in hardware for doing the conversion for you without any extra software or drivers. They're called "active" adapters because they actively convert the signal all by themselves.

If you have any doubt in your mind about buying a cheap knock-off VGA adapter, consider spending a tad bit more for this one because it's worth it.
99 comments| 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 14, 2014
This does exactly what it is intended to do. All plugs slide in and out smoothly. This is a great device so you don't need to carry HDMI cables with you if you are presenting where HD and cables are present.

Let's not forget that you're paying, what? $30 bucks less than at M$ charges for the same dang thing. I even ordered, on Amazon, a 15' DisplayPort to HDMI cable for onsite demos or movie playback for only $13.00 more.

$49 @ M$ store for that? Cmon people @ M$ ... pay attention.

We'll pay primo for the Surface Pro 2 but please don't nickel and dime us on overpriced add on stuff.