Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: StarTech.com 2 Port PCI IDE Controller Adapter Card PCIIDE2
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Tall Heights Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now STEM

on September 3, 2008
A2 Port PCI IDE Adapter Card, Controller Cards, PC Components, Computers & PC hardwares

I was hoping this PCI card would solve a problem I had upgrading a PC. Many of the newer motherboards only have a single IDE port. This is a problem if you have 4 IDE drives like me (1 hard disk, a DVD/RAM drive, a CDROM RW drive, and an IDE ZIP drive).

I could live without the old ZIP drive, but I still needed a second port to accommodate the second CDROM/DVD drive.

This card advertises the ability to connect up to 4 devices. Can't say if it can, but I found that I could not boot from my hard drive if it was connected to the PCI IDE adapter card.

I also found that it would not recognize my CDROM/RW drive, no matter how it was connected.

I finally managed to connect my boot hard drive and the CDROM/RW drive to the primary IDE adapter on the motherboard (needed a long 80-ribbon IDE cable), and the PCI adapter would recognize both the ZIP drive and the DVD/RAM drive.

So in the end I am happy, but I would caution others who hope the card will support a bootable hard drive - I could not get the card to allow the hard drive to boot (and I've been building systems since the early 1980s).

So it is definitely 'buyer beware'.
on February 20, 2012
Purchased a MSI Z68A-G43 (G3) motherboard with Intel Z68 chipset which has no IDE built in. Hoped this adapter card would correct that issue. WRONG! Computer would not even start to boot. Just a black screen with a white blinking line. Tried all three PCI slots with same results. After some online research it appears this card may not be compatible with some of the newest chipsets. I was able to return it. SOLUTION: Since the latest motherboards with no IDE should have atleast one PCIx X1 slot use the StarTech.com PEXSAT2IDE2. This uses the JMicron 366 IC chip and works flawlessly for me. It is available from Amazon. StarTech.com 1x eSATA + 1x SATA II + 2x IDE PCI Express Controller Adapter Card PEXSAT2IDE2".
on April 2, 2012
I bought this card to use with an older ABIT Mother Board with AMD CPU 2 gig of RAM and re-use multiply hard drives for a Ubuntu server (11.10)2012. The IDE controller card was found right away by Ubuntu and the Maxtor, Hitachi, and Seagate Hard drives I have connected to the ports and there have been no issues. I did not even has to load a driver! I WOULD RECOMMEND THIS PRODUCT FOR UBUNTU and I have the same card working in a Windows XP box that I am using for a media / testing server for GNS3 and Juniper Olive box and the IDE controller card is working fine in that server also, so Ubuntu and Windows likes this PCI card.
on January 28, 2012
This Adapter makes it possible to have 4 more devces hooked to your motherboard. If you already have two hard drives, a DVD Burner and a DVD ROM drive hooked up, and also want an internal mobile rack for off system backups, as I do, this is what you need.

It was easy to physically install, but I had to get insistant with Windows 7 to use the manufacturer's drivers instead of those supplied by Microsoft. Tech Support at StarTech told me that the Windows Vista drivers would work with Windows 7, and they do.

You can access hard drives hooked to this adapter from DOS, so it works well with Norton Ghost 2003 DOS version.

This adapter costs a little more than some others, but I was impressed with the StarTech online support. I would buy this exact same adapter again if I needed another one.
on September 25, 2012
I bought this card to go with a new motherboard of mine that doesn't have IDE ports. Contrary to what others are saying, it IS possible to boot an OS drive off this card. However, you have to preinstall the drivers before you can do so, I learned that the hard way. This means you have to access Windows first, with the card installed, then you load the drivers off the disc. Windows 7 doesn't have them and won't find them automatically. So you can't install Windows on a drive connected to this card, because it won't see them. Once you've got the drivers installed on Windows, you can then plug that drive in and boot from this card. BUT the card seems to be unstable. I was having random read/write issues with drives connected to it. It gave Error Code 0x8007045D: "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error." When trying to copy/move/paste or make a new folder. I noticed it when listening to music on a drive plugged to this card, the songs would crash like they're on a badly damaged CD. Sometimes they wouldn't play at all. Also, it didn't fit well in the PCI slots, I had to 'bend' it a little to make it lock in place.

TL;DR: This card is not worth it. Unless you don't mind rebooting your system every time it fails or risk losing data and/or damaging your harddrives. Needless to say, I returned it after using it to backup my data on those drives.
on August 17, 2013
My motherboard crashed (it didn't owe me anything. it was 10 years old) Since my desktop was a custom system, with a full tower, I decided to rebuild and update, rather than get a standard model.

I got everything my greedy little heart could desire, put it together, and suddenly realized that I wanted to continue using my old IDE hard drive. (I had a new 1 TB SATA hard drive, but there was a lot of data on the old drive, and with 14 drive bays, I thought, 'Why not?)

My problem was that my new Motherboard was a SATA system. Rather than despair; I found this card, and it's a life saver. It also comes in a one device card, but I decided that it was not that much more for the 2 device card, and it wouldn't hurt to have that additional option.

It works great. It was easy to install, inexpensive, and I had the satisfaction of 'having my cake and eating it too'. A very good solution that I recommend highly.
on January 12, 2014
Works with one. Works with two. Works with four. Won't work with three. I can't explain that. But hope this helps someone who might have wanted a card for a 3 IDE device computer setup. Buy something else, or maybe just hang an old extra junk drive loose inside, because this card doesn't like the number 3.
on July 6, 2013
This card was a saver, as I had an older win xp and a number of hard drives laying around my work room. This made it possible to hook up the three largest drives to this computer and get some use out of the extra space.
on June 28, 2013
Tried to use it with my old ASUS P4B533E motherboard as a replacement of broken on-board IDE controller.
With system HDD attached, computer shows a flash message from board with disk properly recognized, but does not boot.
When only secondary HDD is attached to the board with primary still on on-board IDE channel (I still have channel 2 functioning) and board's drivers installed, computer starts booting, but immediately hangs with totally black screen.
That controller might be working with newest motherboards (never tried), but if you need it as a replacement for IDE controller on older motherboards - be prepared to return.
Amazon return service is the best, as always.
Information received from manufacturer support:
"Also if using the PCIIDE2 to boot into Windows, Windows has to have been installed with the hard drive connected to the PCIIDE2 adapter."
This probably means that in order to use this board as a replacement for defective IDE channel, you have to re-install windows. Nice.
on December 18, 2013
Many motherboard now days do not have IDE support or printer port support LPT. It seems such a waste not to be able to use a CD/DVD drive or hard drive just because it is IDE instead of SATA. If you want to use existing IDE devices with a new motherboard this fills the bill, just make sure the motherboard you select has at least one PCI slot.