Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Amazon's Choice Computers Starting at $39.99 STEM Handmade Mother's Day Gifts STEM Shop Popular Services siliconvalley siliconvalley siliconvalley  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now disgotg_gno_17
Customer Discussions > StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty forum

Can you play Starcraft 2 single player without being online

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 39 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 19, 2010, 1:16:00 PM PDT
Does anyone know if you can play SC2 single player campaign WITHOUT being online.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2010, 1:44:51 PM PDT
yes, you just have to activate the game online after install i think then after that you dont need to be connected. im sure someone will chime in and clearify.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2010, 1:56:46 PM PDT
Yes you just need to be online to activate it, you play ass a Guest offline and your save info wont travel with you as if were logged in same with achivemnts

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2010, 6:22:26 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 20, 2010, 6:46:35 AM PDT
GamePlayer30 says:
"you just have to activate the game online after install"
So, basically you CAN'T play the single player campaign without being online. It is ridiculous to have to ask a company to play a game you just bought for 50-60 bucks. How does this affect resale? Can I give it away once I am done? If YOU pick up a game with more than a CD check or a key you are a company tool and are hurting the PC gaming market.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2010, 2:31:56 PM PDT
go flame somewhere else. no one lieks your pointless arguements or your lack of intelligence. if you dont want the game dont buy it.

Posted on Jul 21, 2010, 10:47:32 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 21, 2010, 10:49:55 PM PDT
Messi10 says:
"So, basically you CAN'T play the single player campaign without being online. It is ridiculous to have to ask a company to play a game you just bought for 50-60 bucks. How does this affect resale? Can I give it away once I am done? If YOU pick up a game with more than a CD check or a key you are a company tool and are hurting the PC gaming market."

Ask the pirates why they're hurting the PC gaming market in the first place. EA got bashed hard for using Securom for DRM which altered your system files and basically "monitored" your other programs installed. SC2 doesn't invade privacy or cause any problems like that, it just asks for one time of verification by being online so it knows you have a legit copy. How is that hurting the market? You do know markets wouldn't function if copyrights aren't protected? Blizzard is simply protecting it. And on the record PC market is growing much faster than console market right now, but not from the package games but online games where you subscribe and digital download sales such as Steam. This is a very good sign because PC games are becoming more specialized and distinct from console games, which is what we want. We don't just want console games being ported to PC. We want that PLUS games that are made specifically for PC utilizing keyboard/mouse to full extent, which is happening right now as game developers are learning to cope with high piracy rate for PC market in a different approach than awful awful DRMs.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 22, 2010, 10:20:33 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 22, 2010, 10:34:24 PM PDT
GamePlayer30 says:
"Ask the pirates why they're hurting the PC gaming market in the first place. "
First, piracy is not really hurting the PC gaming market, but that is somewhat of another discussion.

"How is [buying SC2] hurting the market? "

1. Stopping second-hand game market
2. Force you to view their advertising
3. Inch more toward pay to play, like their baby WOW

If most of you people understood where the suits want to take the game industry you might stop bending over so quickly. PAY TO PLAY, and all the big boys are doing everything they can to scratch their way to it. So, if YOU pay for any game that requires anything more than a CD check or a CD key YOU are hurting the gaming industry in a big way!

I know what I am talking about I have been playing games since 1982 and have worked for more than one major video game developer/publisher.

Posted on Jul 23, 2010, 8:50:18 AM PDT
mondele says:
Sorry, GamePlayer30. Piracy is hurting the PC gaming market. Any time someone can use a product without compensating the maker of that product appropriately there is harm. Piracy also harms the market by pushing developers toward a pay-to-play model, where their control is enhanced at the expense of freedom of use. Without rampant piracy freedom of use would not be so restricted.

You say you've been gaming since 1982. You should know that anti-piracy efforts (control efforts) did not really take off until actual piracy made it necessary. The over-reaction of some developers does not negate the actual damage done by piracy.

People play WoW because they feel that it gives them value. "Forcing" people to view advertising is not harm to the market. Even stopping the second-hand game market doesn't harm the primary game market. Software used to be licensed on a time basis. Be glad that after purchasing and registering you can continue to play indefinitely.

I believe that reasonable sharing of software ultimately helps the software markets because it generates desire for the product. The problem is unreasonable piracy, and we all suffer because of it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2010, 10:26:14 AM PDT
H.Le says:
GamePlayer30 may tread heavily, but consciencious Customers and Gamers do need to look deeper into the message. I am OK with publishers attempting to protecting their investment, but they do need to be more upfront about the purpose of DRM instead of just repeating the tag line of, "anti-piracy". That is, the anti-piracy claim have very limited time frame due the the fact that most DRM scheme is cracked within 1-3 days after releaase - if not on the same day. Even Ubisoft's supposedly uncrackable permanent online internet connection eventually get cracked -fully cracked - after 5-8 weeks (actually, that is a long time in hacker's time frame). History repeatedly shows that NO DRM scheme is crackproof. As is, the piracy/anti-piracy is a vicious cycle that publishers is taking full advantage of to place more restriction on legitimate Customers.

In this case, by tying an oline activation code per game into each individual Customer, the DRM scheme does prevent the resale and gifting of the game as GamePlayer30 stated (as long as the legitimate seller/giver and the buyer/recipient remain legit and consciously choose not to crack the game).

Personally, lack of LAN and and online activation will not prevent me from buying SC2 - but it does de-value the game in my book and will not pay full price. But of course, I encourage each Customer to determine for himself/herself to pay for what the game is worth.

For those who are not familiar with DRM and would like to know more, here is a good and comprehensive discussion thread:

http://www.amazon.com/tag/pc%20game/forum/ref=cm_cd_tfp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx3GKALMXMEZ5D&cdThread=Tx228VX6SQBWFUF&displayType=tagsDetail

Posted on Jul 23, 2010, 3:03:51 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 23, 2010, 3:05:28 PM PDT
M. Moore says:
"go flame somewhere else. no one lieks your pointless arguements or your lack of intelligence. if you dont want the game dont buy it. "

This is getting a bit off-topic, but I want to express how important it is to "flame". I will express this fact by "flaming" this game. If you don't agree with me, YOU are wrong, as I have been playing games since 1982, as well, worked for major video game companies, etc, etc, etc *cough cough*..

I'm not a big fan of Starcraft 2, but I feel Blizzard did a pretty damn good job at minimizing the whole DRM issue. Nuff said about that.

GL Blizzard/Activision, and I'm actually glad I'm not buying this game because I don't support Bobby Kotick (HE OWNS 100% ACTIVISION/BLIZZARD AND ALL DECISIONS ARE MADE BY HIM).

I have a 0 cent rule for any game made by Bobby Kotick. I pay 0 cents for any games made by him.

Sorry Blizz, you sold out to the wrong man ;(

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2010, 3:41:28 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 23, 2010, 3:48:41 PM PDT
A. Cherla says:
"I have a 0 cent rule for any game made by Bobby Kotick. I pay 0 cents for any games made by him."
So let me get this straight? Your willing to bail out on not buying a game because of a company that made it? Then your not a gamer by any means.

Gaming was meant to be enjoyed first and foremost, this was like the primary purpose of gaming since it all began. You may have been a gamer in the 1980's but you sure as hell are not anymore. The minute you base your decision on getting a game based on who made the game rather than on how much you may enjoy it, is the minute you pretty much abandoned the primary reason of gaming.

You have officially failed to realize the primary purpose of gaming and thats pretty sad considering you say youve been gaming since the 1980's. Sounds like you need to find another hobby since you completely forgot the iron clad primary rule of gaming to begin with.

"GL Blizzard/Activision, and I'm actually glad I'm not buying this game because I don't support Bobby Kotick (HE OWNS 100% ACTIVISION/BLIZZARD AND ALL DECISIONS ARE MADE BY HIM)."
You dont exactly seem to understand what a merger means either. Thats sad. All decisions are made by him? You do realize in an interview with CEO of blizzard, he clearly stated activision had nothing to do with when the game will be released nor any influence on the game development itself right?

Posted on Jul 24, 2010, 12:49:11 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 24, 2010, 3:10:26 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 24, 2010, 1:16:32 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 24, 2010, 1:36:37 PM PDT
A. Cherla says:
Is bobby kotick a dick? yes
Long Answer: Not really, a lot of the things hes doing now has been done before.

1. PC games prices were 60 dollars back in the early 1990's believe it or not. Not only that but this isnt the first Blizzard title to be 60 bucks. Warcraft III was also priced at 60 dollars which some people seem to forget. Starcraft II being 60 bucks had nothing to do with Activision. Blizzard believe it or not was the first development company in the 2000 decade to start the trend of 60 dollar games on the PC.

2-3. Thats what every developer does, and bobby kotick is no exception, however i disagree with you on the part that "At the cost of the games popularity". This isnt true at all, COD MW2 sold more than any other game on release day than ever before. It set a new record for number of sales on release day.

4. That wasnt Koticks decision to split the game into 3 parts the CEO and Lead designers fully admitted this is what they wanted to do. Not only that but i think its just you and a minority that dont care about the single player campaign. Its very arrogant of you to think people wont be playing the single player campaign first before going onto battle.net to begin with. Not to mention Starcraft I had Broodwar expansion, will paying for a 2nd expansion kill some people especially when these expansions are being released on a yearly basis?

As for Starcraft II's storyline not meaning crap, have you seen the new trailer? Some of that is INGAME FOOTAGE, some is CGI.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_E83GfWM-A

5. But your not, there is nothing that proves he had any involvement with Starcraft II to begin with.

"So, as a gamer, I have every right to single out Activision/Blizzard and not buy their game even though I want to."
You dont have to buy their games yes. But the decision your basing it off doesnt make you a gamer buddy. Your frankly an ignorant guy that seems to not even know whats actually going on with a game that you want to play. Youve been heavily confused by random internet forums like Amazon.com. Its sad for you because your going to be missing out on a game because you are completely misinformed about it.

If anything you said was actually true i would have agreed with you, but a lot of what you said was pure nonsense.

Posted on Jul 24, 2010, 1:52:12 PM PDT
Companies have to raise prices for video games that have a very long online replay value. Imagine that you sold a game, but have to pay constantly to maintain and improve the online feature to please your customers, at which your customers do not pay you for. I am a poor college student, and having to pay a higher price for video games hurts me, but at the same time I can see why a company has to raise the initial costs for the game in order for it to be sustainable.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 24, 2010, 2:41:10 PM PDT
Did you actually say someone else was lacking intelligence? With spelling such as "lieks" and "dont", improper punctuation, poor grammar? Hmmm, sounds like the pot calling the kettle black.

Posted on Jul 24, 2010, 3:05:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 24, 2010, 3:11:36 PM PDT
M. Moore says:
V. Cherla, you had a pretty decent unbiased opinion going until the last part where you quoted me, then proceeded to continually insult me rather than formulating a solid conclusion. My conclusion was that Bobby Kotick is a j@ckoff, and after reading your crap, I think I'm actually more inclined to dislike the retarded looking fellow.

And that makes you just another Activision activist. You're just a senseless trash talker, just like me, according to your accusations, ha!

Sincerely,
M. Moore

PS- I'm done with SC2, I'm gonna wait for the next Bobby Kotick game to express my opinions.

Posted on Jul 24, 2010, 3:18:11 PM PDT
EA is manipulating all of us, real PC games fans. GOOD for EA, BAD for the PC industry and for players.

Posted on Jul 24, 2010, 11:13:25 PM PDT
Just to get you guys a better clarification, the game CAN be played offline. Once you register the copy to your Battle.net account you can play offline in "Guest" mode. Once you reconnect your achievements and statistics will be updated to your Battle.net Cloud account so you could install on a different computer and play starting at the same point.

However, your copy of the game is tied to your Battle.net account, so in order to re-sell this game (if you have a hard copy) you would need to simply cancel/delete your Battle.net account, and a future owner would then be able to create their own.

Good luck out there!

Jon
StarCraft2Forum.org Administrator

Posted on Jul 25, 2010, 5:04:00 AM PDT
M. ORAHOOD says:
So let me get this straight, I wont have internet access to register but I will still be able to play however my achievements or what wont be saved? I just want to know if I can play the game at all on a computer with no internet access. Because thats the only option I got.

Posted on Jul 25, 2010, 5:04:59 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 25, 2010, 5:06:04 AM PDT]

Posted on Jul 25, 2010, 5:14:53 AM PDT
Not New Here says:
K-Mart is giving a $20 credit off a future game puchase if you purchase Starcraft 2 at $59.99.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2010, 12:11:44 AM PDT
Z says:
someone listens to gamespot hotspot podcast

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2010, 8:22:43 AM PDT
Clark Nova says:
"So let me get this straight, I wont have internet access to register but I will still be able to play however my achievements or what wont be saved? I just want to know if I can play the game at all on a computer with no internet access. Because thats the only option I got."

It sounds like at the very least you will need internet access at the point of installation for the game. So you'll need internet access to start off, but after that you can unplug from the internet and enjoy.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2010, 8:24:44 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jul 26, 2010, 6:14:42 PM PDT
R. Ng says:
is this a single player storymode game or multiplayer online? Is this game a subscription based model like WoW?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  30
Total posts:  39
Initial post:  Jul 19, 2010
Latest post:  Jul 16, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

This discussion is about
StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty
StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty by Blizzard Entertainment (Mac OS X, Windows 7 / XP)
3.5 out of 5 stars (2,003)