Industrial Deals Beauty STEM PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now toystl17_gno Oprah's Book Club nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Wickedly Prime

Format: Blu-ray|Change

Showing 1-10 of 371 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 511 reviews
on April 13, 2013
Starman is probably John Carpenter's most commercially successful film, and it deserves the accolades. Jeff Bridges and Karen Allen give fantastic performances, and really that is the major draw of this film. This is a great film to introduce someone to science fiction, as it's a good story with endearing performances and is very light on "sci-fi" effects and such. The film could be downright silly in the wrong hands, as it's essentially E.T. for adults, the Jeff Bridges perfect performance and John Carpenter's sure direction make for a winner.

The blu-ray on the other hand is a disappointment. The only highlight is that you get the film enhanced for 16x9, as the previously available DVD was a chopped up pan & scan (I REFUSE to use the term "full screen", that term is criminally inaccurate as we are no longer in 1997). The picture is fairly soft and flat, but nothing horrible. I've seen worse, but I've seen better. On the bright side the transfer is fairly clean, and really, you aren't buying Starman as a reference quality disc anyway. Audio is fine, dialog is clear and the score is beautiful. There are no extras of any kind which is both hugely disappointing and mind boggling. Carpenter has commentaries available on most of his releases, and they are always entertaining, so I don't understand why there is not one recorded for his most commercially successful film. Disappointing.

To sum up, if you love the movie then this is an easy purchase, just remember that you are getting the movie and nothing else. Still recommended.
on April 25, 2016
I have just watched this movie again (I own it and have been going through my Video Library). It is amazing how it has stood the test of time - it was very well acted, filmed, and produced. The graphics could not really have been better today. I love the story, the characters and the whole movie. I highly recommend it to anyone who has not seen.
on February 26, 2017
A great sensitive film that is out of character for director John Carpenter. Great performances by Bridges and Allen. The deer scene made me cry when I was 5 and half of the rest of the film made me cry as an adult. There are/were rumors of a remake which I hope never come to fruition.
on May 21, 2015
Jeff Bridges stars as Star man. This was a movie I enjoyed back in the 80's. I still enjoy it now. & I'm glad I purchased it on amazon.
He doesn't exactly have the name star man in the movie. All he is is the image of Jenny Haiden's (Karen Allen's) deceased husband who she misses. He must also learn stuff as well.
on June 15, 2013
This movie may someday be a classic film, though not of the ilk of Close Encounters of the Third Kind or Gone With the Wind, but, never the less, a film with a "touch of Humanity".

Jeff Bridges is an alien being who comes to earth after encountering an invitation from one of our own space probes, Voyager or something. Here he takes the form of a dead house painter and abducts Jenny Hayden (Karen Allen) for a three day wild ride from Wisconsin to Arizona where the mothership will be waiting for Bridges.

The story is frought with angry G men intent on capturing him without success. Along the way, Jeff learns about humanity and gives Jenny a gift she thought not possible.

This is a wonderful film from Director, John Carpenter. I enjoyed it immensely and I think you will also. Great acting from great actors and a good script.
on September 2, 2003
Whats to like: Crisp, believable characters and I don't mean just the leads, even the extras seem to have depth. The special effects seem tame by today's standards but they don't overwhelm the underlying love story and keep the viewer in that all important state of "suspension of disbelief". Good direction and editing keep the storyline moving along at the right pace. This is a "chase" video after all! Both main characters are appealing and remain brilliantly within their characters. The score is really impressive. I still find myself loading up the video just to listen to the end credits now and again!
What's not to like: zip. Buy this one for your collection.
on September 8, 2014
I am not one for watching science fiction films. But this film pulled me so cleverly into it, I was just mesmerized! I never thought in a million years that I could ever feel for an alien. But Jeff Bridges does such a fantastic acting job in this film, you feel for him, you pray for him and you so much want him to triumph. Charles Martin Smith's acting role in this film is so believable that you really get a good understanding of his acting ability. Buy this film and you will be entertained from start to finish. You will be on the edge of your seat!
on May 20, 2017
I always liked this movie but was very disappointed with the video quality. It's very grainy.
on January 4, 2008
Update: I just purchased Starman, in Blu-ray; from Amazon.com. I received it, on October 15, 2010. It states on the back of the box; 2009. Regarding Layout & Design.

I am very happy to say, that MY copy...IS in Widescreen! It has the narrow, black strips - on the Top & Bottom of the screen. Fills the entire screen, from Left to Right. Hence, this is Widescreen! Correct?

The Blu-ray Disc, of Starman...is Amazing!! The Picture Quality, is Excellent...& the Sound Quality (Audio) is Excellent as well!! IMO, "they"...finally -- HAVE gotten things right, with Starman! This is one of my Favorite Movies, of all time. A Classic Movie!! And now, it looks, & sounds...better than ever. A real treat, to see it like this!!

I'm using a Sony Blu-ray player, & a Sony 32" LCD/HD "Flat Panel/Flat Screen" TV.
1080i; 16:9.

My Previous Review:

This is such an Excellent, Great Movie!! I've always loved it. Just bought it, yesterday. I totally agree, regarding the following. This movie, should be in Wide Screen Format. Hope the "suits," come to there senses...& release this Classic Movie, in the Wide Screen Format...it deserves. I would buy it, anyway (& did)...in Full Screen Format. It's still great to watch. Rhetorical statement; it's most likely a "money thing." Greed...
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 18, 2017
Good movie. Especially the yellow light part of the movie.