- Age Range: 12 and up
- Grade Level: 7 and up
- Paperback: 160 pages
- Publisher: HMH Books for Young Readers; 2 Updated edition (December 6, 2016)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0544763440
- ISBN-13: 978-0544763449
- Product Dimensions: 8.5 x 0.5 x 10.9 inches
- Shipping Weight: 1.3 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
- Average Customer Review: 4.8 out of 5 stars See all reviews (266 customer reviews)
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #20,366 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ Free Shipping
+ Free Shipping
+ Free Shipping
The Stars: A New Way to See Them Paperback – December 6, 2016
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
About the Author
Browse award-winning titles. See more
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
Top customer reviews
(1) H.A. Rey has done a great service by redrawing the constellations (using the same stars) so that they *actually* look like the figure they represent. This is in contrast to so many other constellation drawings (by others) that bear no resemblance at all to the figure they supposedly represent. They come in two varieties: either they are lifelike representations with no correlation at all between the figure and the individual stars or they are stick figures that look more like abstract art!
(2) Rather than deluging you with lots of irrelevant facts, H.A. Rey has chosen some very pertinent, interesting facts and anecdotes to share about the stars and the constellations. These are the kind of facts that are fun to share with others when you introduce them to the constellations!
(3) H.A. Rey has very wisely left the more detailed and technical explanations for discussion later in the book. He starts off by telling you just the basics that you need to start stargazing right away!
(4) On the Calendar Chart pages you will see two star charts on facing pages. On the left you'll see just the stars and on the right you'll see the stars with the connecting lines to show the constellations. Going back and forth between the pages is a great way to start to memorize the celestial patterns so that when you get outside it will be easier to pick them out!
What few people know is H.A. Rey studied Natural Science and loved Astronomy. Back in the 1930's he would draw pictures of constellations, which eventually brought him to writing about stars and drawing them.
Whether you are a child, or even an adult interested in stars, you will find this book absolutely delightful as well as a very easy read. Here he agains draws lines between stars of constellations to make pictures that are so meaningful, you will actually remember them!
This is a book that should be on everyone's bookshelf is you have any interest in star gazing.
If my review was helpful, please click on "helpful" (or "yes") below. Thank you.
I do have a question for those of you who have used this book for years, since there isn't a Q&A - is this the same book (but updated) as the old "Worldwide Edition"? There are SO many differently named versions of this book floating around, and I think it's really just one book and this is the most up-to-date version.
Mine seems to include charts for almost everywhere in the world, so I believe this is the best and most updated version available, but would love to hear from anybody else.
Most recent customer reviews
Best intro to the night sky (period) ever (period) for every curious adult or kid (period.Read more