- Paperback: 160 pages
- Publisher: Storey Publishing, LLC (January 6, 1997)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0882669605
- ISBN-13: 978-0882669601
- Product Dimensions: 8.5 x 0.4 x 11 inches
- Shipping Weight: 14.4 ounces (View shipping rates and policies)
- Average Customer Review: 42 customer reviews
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #2,325,622 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ $3.99 shipping
+ Free Shipping
Starting & Running Your Own Horse Business Paperback – January 6, 1997
There is a newer edition of this item:
See the Best Books of 2018 So Far
Looking for something great to read? Browse our editors' picks for the best books of the year so far in fiction, nonfiction, mysteries, children's books, and much more.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
“Be sure to pick up…Starting & Running Your Own Horse Business. You’ll be hooked from the opening chapters on logos, barn colors, and business card designs, through the appendices full of handy forms, schedules and contact information. In between you’ll find detailed information on management, riding programs, boarding, leasing, breeding, buying/selling, cost-cutting, and more.” – Horse & Rider magazine
“…helps the horseman become more aware of his responsibilities as business manager and owner.” – Western Horseman
“…sound suggestions to the horseman-turned-businessman translate what’s going on at the barn into generally accepted accounting principles…” – Western Horseman
From the Back Cover
Your devotion to horses is the key ingredient in a profitable equestrian career. Now revised and expanded, Starting & Running Your Own Horse Business offers complete advice on putting your love for horses to work. A larger selection on safety, tax and insurance advice, and many new suggestions for starting successful equestrian businesses make this new edition the must-have book for horse entrepreneurs. An experienced stable manager and practicing veterinarian, Mary Ashby McDonald shares her money-making ideas and cost-saving techniques for launching and running a successful business.
"Now this is a really useful horse business guide...McDonald includes a variety of money-saving and -making suggestions."
- Horse Country
"If you've ever thought about starting your own horse business, be sure to pick up, well, Starting & Running Your Own Horse Business."
- Horse & Rider
"The ideas in this book are accurate and solid. Unfortunately, along the way, I've made many of the classic business blunders Mary mentions [in this book]. Hopefully reading this will help others avoid the same mistakes in the future."
- Olympic Gold Medalist Joe Fargis, Owner/Manager/Trainer, Sandron Farm
Learn How To:
- Create a business plan that puts your existing horses and facilities to work
- Manage your time, your money, and your employees
- Choose affordable insurance coverage that keeps your customers and your horses safe and protects you from financial liability
- Operate an exciting variety of horse ventures from camps to carriage services
- Develop an appealing name, logo, and icon for your business
- Identify the best marketing and advertising opportunities
- Offer additional services your customers need: grooming, cleaning tack, transportation, catching and holding, consulting, administering medications
- Reduce vet bills: implement sound preventative strategies and do your own vaccinating and deworming
- Save on feed costs
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
The book also dates itself in one budget analysis example she uses $5/hr as the rate for barn staff.
A lot o f the "tips" are just plain common sense, like making sure your horses are vaccinated...
It is very thoughtfully written with concern for safety, income and creativity. Will be on the top of my reading pile for some time as I have already added a couple ideas for next year's camps.
For those in the horse business and wanting to increase their income potential, this is a well recommended book.
Willows Edge Farm
Most recent customer reviews
Nice booklet. Will be useful for me.