Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: State Of Siege (Etat De Siege) [All-region/NTSC Import]
Amazon Vehicles Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

on December 22, 2012
As to the film -- it is very good. If you liked /Z/, you will most likely enjoy this one as well. It's not another /Missing/, however.

As to the quality of the DVD -- it looks fine to me. I am not the most picky of viewers, however.

As to what was described versus what was received:
1) The package claims 1.66:1 Anamorphic Widescreen but the film was actually presented at 1.33:1 and PowerDVD gives the Aspect Ratio as 4:3, Display Mode as Only Pan&Scan, and Source picture letterboxed as Not letterboxed. So this version is not "Widescreen" by any definition.
2) The length on the package is 115 minutes (1:55) rather than the 105 minutes (1:45) shown above. The program ends at 1:54:03, before the film does. This is in the end titles and so isn't really that important, but I believe this is the only DVD I own that runs out of disc before it runs out of movie.
3) The package is marked R3; there is a stickon lable on the plastic wrap stating "All Region/NTSC Import", it definitely plays on an R1 DVD Player with no indication of a region conflict, and PowerDVD reports Regions "1,2,3,4,5,6,All" so it should work everywhere that NTSC is useable.

All in all -- definitely worth having if you are interested in Costa-Gavras or political films from the late 60's/early 70's.
on March 24, 2013
I've loved this movie since I saw it back in 1973. I've been looking for it ever since the early 80's when movies became available on VHS tape and later, DVD. So glad I've finally found it. Excellent portrayal of the struggle against imperialist interference in Latin American affairs. Venceremos!
on September 12, 2012
No problem with shipment. I have seen this movie in theaters several times years ago and -I may be wrong and confuse this with another Costa Gavras movie- I seem to remember that the opening scenes were totally different. My recollection is that the movie starts with soldiers looking for a body at dawn in the countryside with the fog lifting while the music plays Albinoni's Adagio. It's the most beautiful opening scenes I have ever seen and that's why I ordered the movie. This is not how my movie starts and needless to say I'm very disappointed. Maybe there are 2 versions of the movie or I could very well be mistaken. Anyway not your fault. Anyone reading this review who knows what I am talking about, please let me hear from you.
1313 comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 29, 2013
And the combination of the subtitles and French helps me almost subconsciously improve my French. When I finished, I googled the man the film was about and got this quote:

"The precise pain, in the precise place, in the precise amount, for the desired effect."
Dan Mitrione
on September 9, 2012
...a film I'd wanted to revisit in its entirety for more than 25 years. I'll settle for this treatment while I await a release with more features, as was done with "Z". (UPDATE: And it appears The Criterion Collection has done just that.)

It's more detached and "long view," a lot less humored, and thus more suspenseful than "Z". Set in Uruguay but filmed in Chile I believe just before the Pinochet junta. You get used to the locals speaking French and Renato Salvatori suddenly speaking undubbed English. You see the ending well in advance, so it's the "Why?" that gets the exceptional "You Are There" treatment.

And in that treatment lies part of the rub. I won't make this a forum in which to debate the film's veracity...the only later film of Costa-Gavras that I liked was "Missing"...but I instead recommend the long out-of-print companion book that contains the "scenarist" Franco Solinas' screenplay, stills from the film, a statement by Yves Montand, and supplemental published materials inferably used in research with an extensive bibliography. Perhaps its most revealing component is the transcribed interview by Nicholas Ray of Solinas and Costa-Gavras, which mentions among other things tape recordings of the captive on whom Montand's character is based. Yet it is Costa-Gavras' final statement on the choice of filming location that is at once funny, sad and chilling in hindsight, and provides ample proof that times change.

It also merits a showing to students of all ages of reason as to what can happen when at least three discernible sides to a dispute who can each gain through direct negotiation instead choose...for whatever reasons...to not make the first move.

If the film instead makes you want to learn more about the subject region if not the entire continent and what it went through in the late 20th century, the film succeeds admirably.
on May 5, 2013
The image and sound quality of the film is very good. The French translation into English is very good (except for 1-2 stops with names with ? marks). Unfortunately the Spanish translation of names was a challenge, so many of the names are filled in with question marks, eventhough as a Californian they were easy to recognize. There was also a Hallmark fade-out in one scene of torture. I appreciated this copy, but due to the difficulties and censoring I would not have bought this version if I had known. And this is one of my favorite films!
on December 25, 2012
No one does this like Costa-Gavras. One of the most exciting and thought provoking films of all time. A triumph
on January 30, 2013
Yes we should all enjoy this movie and be grateful it's available. HOWEVER......

The producer of this issue settled on an odd, obscure aspect ratio of 1.66:1 as the basis for the anamorphic display. None of my machines know how to render an anamorphic to 1.66:1; they are expecting the 1.78:1 Widescreen standard. As a result they default to the standard Full Screen aspect of 1.33:1. It may flatter the actors by making them look slimmer and taller. But any other shapes we're familiar with (autos for instance) simply look weird

Know when you buy this that you'll be looking at distorted video.
on April 19, 2013
I chose this rating because I paid top dollar ($18.95 USD)
for a product which was not at all what I expected. It is
in Korean with an undeciferable link to English sub-titles.
French, I could bear with, but I do not understand Korean
and I do not understand the instructions as to how to access
the English subtitles.
on August 24, 2013
I have used this film for years in VHS format in my terrorism & counterterrorism classes. My ancient casette was about to give up the ghost, and in any event, I had been asked to present in South Korea where there would be no VHS player available. This this newly-remastered DVD set also offers subtitles in a number of languages -- including Korean, and so it seemed to me to be the perfect product.