Audio commentary with Ethan Hawke, Vincent D’Onofrio and director James DeMonaco
Interview with Vincent D’Onofrio
Other Sellers on Amazon
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
The characters, at times, border on being comical; but not in the usual way. What I mean by that is, that life is ironic and the movie mirrors the ironic way that life comes at you. Sometimes all you can do is laugh about it. The movie is full of twists, with a twist ending.
The characters, go through a series of events; that test thier mettle. How they react to the situations that affect them is what makes this movie special.
The performances are all top notch. Ethan Hawke made me sit up and take notice with the honesty of his performance.
Vincent D'Onofrio was excellent as always. Seymour Cassell was able to make you understand his character, though he didn't utter a word. Just awesome. I definitely recommend this movie. Give it a try. I dont think you will be disappointed.
This was an "intersecting stories" type of movie a la "Pulp Fiction."
1. We see a mobster who is in the process of plotting to take over the business of his rivals. It is at this point that we learn that he can hold his breath for a long period of time under water. At the beginning of the movie, he is trying to beat some money out of someone that stole it from him (literally). He leaves because he has to go and see after his mother.
2. The mobster's associates try to kill him after a visit with his mother (the reason for which he had to interrupt the beating that started the movie) and his car veers off into a river. He manages to survive this attempt because of his underwater breathing exercises before.
3. There is a man and his wife. He is a septic tank cleaner and they want to have a child. He gets the bright idea to rob this old woman (who happens to be Mr. Mobster's mother) in order to get the funds to finance his wife's fertility treatment. Oops. Mr. Septic Tank is worried that the child will not be intelligent (it is painfully clear that he himself is not intelligent) and so the cost of the insemination also includes some way to ensure the intelligence of the offspring.
4. Later still, we are introduced to a deaf mute who works at the meat shop that takes care of the bodies that Mr. Mobster brings in from his activities. It seems that this person has a friendly relationship with the Septic Tank Cleaner. Later, Deaf Mute Guy wins a horse race for $47,000 (it seems that he lives a lonely life and his only outlet is betting at the race track from time to time). He knows about the bad things that Mr. Mobster does, and wants to kill him to make the world a better place.
5. Eventually, Mr.Read more ›
The story is interesting although you have to wait for the layers to be peeled away. The writing is excellent and the actors all turn in solid performances. I particularly liked the scenes with Seymour Cassel as a deaf-mute in which the sounds are muffled or muted completely. Can't think of the last time I cheered for an old geezer with a gun, but I still wonder what exactly he does with the meat?
If you like the dumbed down "entertainment" of Adam Sandler or Mike Meyers, this movie isn't for you. If you enjoy an O. Henry type story with well-acted scenes, pick this one up. If you are one of D'Onofrio's crazed fans, you've already bought it and viewed it 15 times complaining about the stupid PTB at USA network the entire time. . . but don't forget to watch the deleted scenes!
Seymour Cassel's performance was very moving, despite or perhaps because he never spoke a single word.
The story is by no means your average mobster tale, with twists and turns that both horrify and delight. This film is a quiet gem, one I'd never heard of and only ran across by happy accident; definitely worth the investment.
I can truly say that this is one of the worst films I have ever seen
Most Recent Customer Reviews
States Island was a good movie, not too violent and funny at times. As far as I am concerned Vincent D'Onofrio is great in everything.Published 9 days ago by Gospel Music Lover
The story of a would-be Gofather who is brought down by the most unlikely of enemiesPublished 4 months ago by ana f perez
This is one of the worst movies i have seen in my life. I am a lover of all things ganster-mafioso-New York. Please do not watch this movie.Published 15 months ago by Elliot Ness
Very pleased with the overall story but the acting could've had more feeling and better direction.Published 15 months ago by Dave Bonkowski