Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,590 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,831 reviews
on April 24, 2012
I am not a creative person. I want to be. I think like most people I want to create something. I want to write something. Create something. While searching for something new in the books section of Amazon.com I hit on this title. I knew nothing about Austin Kleon. I am not a poetry fan so I did not know about the Newspaper Blackout book. I actually judged this book by it's cover (and the description to be honest). I read it in an hour (you can too - it is a short book). Then I read it again much more slowly and with a highlighter. Most of what he writes about may be trite to those "in the know" but for me this book said I could go into the world, find something I love and tweak it bit to make it mine. And in doing that I could show the creator that his work inspired me to create something. This book also told me that I already possessed the tools to be creative. Since I know that I like Kleon suggest that I study why I like it. Find out what makes it work for me and then use that as a jumping off point. But even these words do not convey accurately enough how inspired I was - I read it again - I added his blog and tumblr feeds to my daily readings - I follow him on twitter and bought some books he recommended. Finally - rather than sending him an email telling him how wonderful this book is - I am following his advice and putting those same thoughts in a review. A small book awakened a bit of passion for being creative. Not a small feat. A small book but a big heart. Hope all these words add up to this - I love this book.
1010 comments| 488 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 6, 2017
I liked this book it spoke to a lot of the truths I've experience and needed validated as a creative. I think it's great book for people who are new to their art for of the form of art and is seeking some guidance and advice on how to nativists this terrain. I game this book five stars bc I would and plan to read it five more times!

Very short but very good!
on July 26, 2017
I like this author. He's whimsical in his writing. The book is fun and can literally be read cover to cover in an hour or less. There are some good tips and inspirational stuff, but don't expect some deep level writing. It's down to the point and meant to boost you up a bit; to give you confidence enough to pursue your creative endeavors.
on June 22, 2017
I was assigned this book as reading material for one of my classes this past Fall and now I am purchasing it for keeps to have around. It is a quick read, but extremely fun and insightful. It is geared towards artists and creatives, but can translate well across business and student genres as well. Austin Kleon writes in a very contemporary and fun way making this book even more of a delight to read. I've recommended it to several people already.
on April 9, 2017
I am truly surprised that I enjoyed this book so much. It is a fast read and really triggered a burst of creative thinking for me. The ideas described are not new but serve as good reminders of how to encourage someone's creative growth. I rarely read a book more than once but I think this book will be the exception.
on May 17, 2017
Catchy title brought this book to my Kindle but the relevancy of the authors words, ideas and concepts caused me to share it with my 5 adult children, their spouses and significant others and my amazing wife ( I've been told on numerous occasions that I married well). This should be required reading for every high-schooler. I book marked so many pages that it will just be easier to read the book a second time.
on July 12, 2017
If you are an artist or just wish you were an artist then PLEASE read this book. It frees you from the thought that art ideas must come from thin air or you're a fraud. I buy copies just to hand out when I see someone struggling with this road block in thinking.
on June 8, 2017
I enjoyed this because he kept his advice light and focused. It was all very logical, yet said in a humorous way.
on February 18, 2016
One of the best books I've read in a long time. It's funny because the length of this book can be decieving. So many books are filled with fluff that it felt good because this book was straight, clear and concise. It reminded me of some important things that you don't have to reinvent the wheel. It's ok to copy. And that by copying you eventually will become a master too. I love this book and it's in my top 10 books.
on July 10, 2016
SIMPLY put: A fun, quick & inspiring read. Unique in size, style and content. Refreshing.
(If you are expecting a super long, intricately-detailed book, you may wish to look elsewhere).

I gifted one to my boss the minute I finished reading it. :) I didn't know this but he had actually read a previous book by Austin and enjoyed it so he was really excited to read this one.

Thanks Austin!

PS... I'm not an artist and still loved it. It's applicable.