Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB DG Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop now Shop Popular Services americangods americangods americangods  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now toystl17_gno

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-10 of 583 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 657 reviews
on April 16, 2013
Oftentimes author illustrator duo's follow up books can't quite recreate the magic of their previous books, but let me be the one to tell you that this book is a fantastic follow up to Goodnight, Goodnight Construction Site. Much like your child learned about the different construction vehicles in Goodnight, Steam Train introduces different train cars-- the boxcar, wellcar, hopper and autorack with others. You'll find the same sing-song, rhyming cadence in Steam Train that you have come to love in Goodnight along with more beautiful illustrations drawn on the same dark background paper, lending that night-time feeling to the book.

The age recommendation Amazon lists for Steam Train is 4-6 while Goodnight is 1 and up. The language is a bit more advanced in Steam Train, but if your child enjoyed Goodnight, Goodnight Construction Site they will enjoy Steam Train, Dream Train. I would probably revise the age recommendation to 3 and up, but keep in mind the book does not have the same sturdy pages as Goodnight; The pages are the same consistency and paper as other illustrated children's books.

My two and half year old daughter loved Goodnight, Goodnight Construction Site and loves Steam Train, Dream Train; I'm sure your child will love it too.
on January 5, 2015
I love to find new books for my little one as I hate reading the same thing every night. We had recently added this to our collection and unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it) I had to hide it. He loved it! A lot. In fact he insisted I read it over and over again every night for 2 weeks straight until it suddenly went missing. Eventually it'll be "found" again as it was a good story. It's short enough that it's a perfect read for bedtime but long enough that it'll allow for sufficient snuggle time and the pictures are entertaining.
on February 18, 2017
I bought this for my daughter when she was an infant. She is a toddler now and still enjoys reading the book with me. The rhymes are catchy but gentle/calming enough to be a good bedtime book.

For a simple board book, she actually learned a lot from it such as colors and animals. When she got older, she pointed out other nouns such as bubbles, book, moon and even verbs like "reading" and "growling" and is even exposed to the different types of train cars.

It's a great book for young children. We have the original Steam Train Dream Train book but that book hasn't quite caught her attention because of its length. Great version of Steam Train for infants and toddlers.
VINE VOICEon May 24, 2013
Goodnight Goodnight Construction Site is a modern classic that turns construction vehicles in to sleepy machines that need to rest after a long day of work. It gives children an alternate world where the construction trucks actually have personalities. Steam Train Dream Train does something similar for trains but is illustrated so beautifully that I look through it myself.

It's fun to read and there are excellent rhymes but one of the most interesting things is that this book includes almost everything your young boy (or maybe girl) probably likes. Such as?

Trains (Obviously), with different types of train cars.
Zoo animals riding the train and going to sleep on the train
A Dinosaur along with the zoo animals!
Monkey's juggling
Toys like a plane, Mr Potato Head and blocks
Different colors of taker cars
A giraffe driving a digger and dumping balls in a train car!
Ice Cream
Dragsters!
An of course a toy train at the end.

Everything wraps up nicely with a boy sleeping soundly in bed. My 2.5 year old just loves it and it is a staple for us at bedtime and I imagine will be for many years. We check out a lot of books from the library as these are not cheap but this one is worth buying. A new classic!
on December 27, 2013
We got this book for kindle and read it for the first time tonight. My five year old's impression:

"I liked that the little boy had a toy steam train dream train! [at the end.] I liked the part where the t rex got a bone. I liked learning about the different cars, and the words that said steam train dream train. They called it dream train because the animals are all dreaming and they are sleeping on the train and they got refreshing snacks. I like when the animals got out and were doing their chores."

Clearly he was paying attention and many of the parts caught his fancy! I personally like the sleepy palette and the cute animals all working together nicely.
on May 25, 2017
My 3 year old has learned her colors very quickly thanks to this book. It is colorful with animals on every page to keep their interest. Recommend for all parents as a nighttime ritual to give your little one a head start on learning.
on March 9, 2017
This is a great story for little ones who love trains. The pictures are a darker tone, as it takes place at night. Lots of animals loading up the train to keep it interesting and playful rhyming. Would purchase again!
on April 16, 2015
My 3-year-old grandson adores trains, and thus train books. This is his favorite (and he has dozens) - perhaps because when he was 2, he memorized words to Rinker's "Goodnight, Goodnight, Construction Site" (his then passion was machinery, sparked by the building of six houses in vacant lot across the street from where we live). He LOVES the darker pictures in this nighttime setting (Construction site was about getting READY for bed, Steam Train is about DURING the night, so yes, pictures darker, but so appropriate). Also think he finds it reassuring that the dark can bring out TRAINS, not just MONSTERS. Perhaps if child in your life isn't interested in trains (or animals), this isn't the book for you to buy. But if you have one like mine, this is the perfect story for before bed.
on May 3, 2014
After reading him, Goodnight, goodnight Construction Site, I knew that he would love this book! The illustrations are so rich and beautiful; and looks like it took a lot of work! I can only imagine what the original storyboards looked like, just breathtaking! Its a simple story, nothing too deep and just the right tempo to keep the attention spans of little ones. We read it often because he just loves this one and "Construction", so much! Funny, that I saw some bad ratings and nasty complaints about how they didn't like the book because of storyline or something. Really? That is just plain ridiculous! Its a child's story, we're not talking War and Peace, here; and if your kid doesn't like it, donate it to your local library and move on but to trash a kid's book because of lack of story line is just insane. I think some people forgot what it was like to be a kid and have an imagination, not worry about a grown-up storyline.
on August 11, 2013
I bought this book for my toddler (almost 3yo) who loves all kinds of vehicles. We already had the 'Goodnight, goodnight, construction site' book which he loved, so I thought I would try this author again. He loves trains and this story and it has become the new favorite. What I like about it: it's colorful, imaginative, has a lot of things that spark questions and conversation, and the fact that he likes it! When I ask him his favorite thing about the book, he said "the train car with the ice cream in it" (haha)! If I had to say something I dislike, the only thing I can come up with is that it sparks a lot of questions (which is great during the day, but when we read it before bed, there is not always time to respond to his questions). Not entirely a bad thing!

If you like this book, I would definitely suggest the construction book. We currently have construction going on at our house, so we have seen a lot of those vehicles and my son has learned a lot about it! We plan to keep these books and read them to the twins (boy/girl) and I am sure they will both enjoy them as well (they also love watching the construction vehicles that are around too).