Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Water Sports toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 109 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 145 reviews
TOP 100 REVIEWERon January 25, 2017
I purchased this book because I liked the idea of a DIY costuming and accessories steampunk book.

This book goes into detail about various projects, sourcing materials, detailed step by step photos on how to make the item, and the end result, which is a pretty neat thing at the end!

The book is a lot of fun to look through. Some of the projects do require some advanced tools or materials which not everyone may have, but you may be able to get your way through the project in another way without doing it exactly the way the book describes. You might even decide to customize your project differently than described anyway! The author even says your source parts can vary so your end result might look different.

I was delighted by pith helmet project in the book, and there's also a really awesome high voltage hand cannon!

This is a really fun book to inspire creativity. I think we need more of that in our lives!
review image review image review image review image review image review image
on October 30, 2012
First, I am not a Steampunk aficionado, so this book was my entree into this world. I bought the book to complete a Hallowe'en costume, and could not find the sort of accoutrement that I wanted. The altitude mask is what I was interested in.

The author really does things right. One of the problems for any do-it-yourself project for which there is no specialty store is procuring the necessary materials. There is an terrific chapter on this.

The step-by-step instructions are excellent and fully illustrated. This makes everything extremely easy to achieve, even if the time involved is lengthy.

I do have some critique, however. I guess this is not so much a criticism of the book as a call for some additional development.

For one, I needed some gears but simply could not bring myself to destroy a cuckoo clock to do this. I did find some gears for sale online, but they are not functional gears, so you can't really articulate them. They are just window dressing. There must be other sources for gears?

I like the resourceful approach to the gauge fabrication, but the one shown looks like it is made from a bottle cap--because it is. Sorry. That contemporary icon is so ubiquitous that there is no way to disguise it to look Victorian. There were other examples of gauge casings that could be used, but this one was the primary one illustrated. It is also used with the altitude mask.

And, hey, the Electro-static Hand Cannon looks like a brass lamp on a stick. Again, I don't want to be a party-pooper, but after spending all the time on the wooden grip, isn't there something less recognizable than this iconic object from my Grandma's living room? I know that brass objects are hard to find, but this just doesn't work for me.

I am making the altitude mask, but am modifying it significantly. In particular, how about some hoses? To me, it just doesn't look like much except a leather bag. So, I added some hoses. Also, some sort of Victorian-style tank for an oxygen source would be welcomed. Maybe something that looks like a goat bladder or something. I couldn't come up with anything.

I like the helmet cannon, but have you priced a brass cannon lately, even a little one like this? This is something prized by collectors of militaria, so is not easily obtainable at a reasonable cost.

Having made these comments, however, I applaud the creativity and skill that went into this book. Thank you so much for providing this resource.
on December 25, 2013
My impossible-to-please 14-year-old got this book for Christmas. I thought it would be something for which she would give a grunt of thanks but she is really excited about the projects in it. The projects themselves look like things she will be able to do alone after making a couple of practice products with help. (This book is definitely for teens and adults -- the projects require tools and materials that sometimes have sharp edges.)

Each chapter contains all the steps for one projects (there are 12 chapters). The book also includes appendices for additional reading, patterns, and metric conversion. Each project has clear and detailed instructions with plenty of photographs for each step. If you love making things, you won't go wrong with this book.
on November 23, 2011
Steampunk Gear, Gadgets, and Gizmos: A Maker's Guide to Creating Modern Artifacts is far and away the best DIY maker book I've ever read. I mean that in all sincerity. I am an avid reader and collector of all books relating to making. I've got books on assemblage, mixed media, paper crafting, jewelry arts, metalworking, leatherworking, and just about everything else you can image. Most of the time, these books either show artistic photos of beautiful projects and give super simplistic instructions for making simple projects, or they show artistic photos of beautiful projects and give semi-detailed instructions assuming that you already have experience with advanced techniques. But this book--Steampunk Gear, Gadgets, and Gizmos--covers a lot of advanced projects with simple, straightforward directions for every single step. With this book, you will be walked through measuring, cutting, sawing, drilling, punching, sanding, riveting, and more. You will use metal, plastic, leather, wood, and glass. There are no shortcuts to making the glorious projects in these pages, but when you are finished, you will have steampunk accessories that you can be proud of.
on May 2, 2016
The pages hidden between the lovely covers are full of fun and amazingly well layed out projects created, innovated and presented in a wonderfully easy to follow and incredibly well written and thought out style.
Thomas Willeford is a name well know to most Steampunks and his skills and amazing style of art and crafting have generated incredibly beautiful wonders he freely share with the world. This book shows step by step how even novice makers can embrace their inner Steampunk and create not just Steampunk but costumes and accessories for any kind of Cosplay!
And he's so cool in person He'll autograph your copy is you get to meet him at a Con! (But be cool in asking since he would be working).

Thanks for both the cool books!!!! Oh Ya check out the other one too!
on November 26, 2011
I've bought lots of DIY books, and read many steampunk books. This book is simply amazing. It has beautiful step by step directions on how to build those impossible steampunk devises. I can not recommend it enough. Check out the table of contents. Then look at the detailed instructions, and the exquisite pictures and I'm sure you will agree. Even if you are not already a DIY person you will be tempted to try one of the simpler projects.If you're into steampunk you know you want to. Go a head, you don't have to be a "Girl Genius"
on November 8, 2012
Thomas Willeford is unarguably the most photographed and talked about artist in the Steampunk Community. It's no surprise that his book is not only beautiful (well it does have Lady Clankington on the cover!)but it also has meat on it's bones. It's the maker's How-To Book and a must have for any proper Steampunk Library. Willeford's step-by-step, cautions and how-to hints are a treasure and we are all the better for his opening the doors of Grimmelore Manor to show us what's inside that genius brain of his. I've been waiting for Book Two! Hope to see that soon.
on November 18, 2012
I had gotten into Steampunk, somewhat, a few years ago. The concept always fascinated me as I grew up a Jules Verne and H.G. Wells fan. Their world of ideas was far-reaching, with wonderous concepts of what the future could be like, from a Victorian perspective. It's really remarkable how some of those concepts eventually materialized (portable wireless communication devices, flying machines, trips into outer space, etc.). The world of Steampunk brings much of that awe and wonder in design to our current modern world. It's nice to see the great "days gone by" living in front of us again. Sometimes, we must remember to give respect to our past, and sometimes, that past may have still bee the best or classiest way.

This book - Steampunk Gear, Gadgets, And Gizmos - is a great look at the designs, and means to create and build your own, Steampunk styled stuff. Very detailed, and nicely put together. I think it had some 16 creation projects, and some other examples. If you're a Steampunk fan - either long term or just getting into it - this book is a nice start into the world of Victorian modernism. Plenty of enjoyment from it.
on February 11, 2014
I you like Steampunk and building stuff then this is for you.

This book contains 12 step-by-step projects for building your own steampunk artefacts from the essential goggles right up to a steam powered artificial arm with gatling gun. Ok, it's not really steam powered and the gun doesn't fire but it certainly looks the part so don't walk into a bank while wearing it !

All the projects are designed to use common and affordable tools and if you are comfortable using those tools then you should be able to build these projects, especially if you start with the simple ones and work your way up from there.

It is also well written and fun to read. Highly recommended.
on October 26, 2016
I started getting into steampunk and wanted a book with some info to make steampunk accessories. This was exactly what I was looking for. It is not for a beginner maker but someone a bit more seasoned. Lots of good into and tips, will be build some of the complicated stuff soon.