Industrial Deals HPC Prime Day Prime Day Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Get 4 months of Amazon Music Unlimited for $0.99. Prime member exclusive. New subscribers only. Just $7.99/month after. Terms apply. New LG V35 ThinQ | $699.99. Save with Prime Exclusive Phones. Starting at $19.99 Grocery Handmade Prime Day modern furniture and decor Up to $50 off Home Services Up to 50% off Movies and TV shows for Prime members Up to 50% off Movies and TV shows for Prime members Up to 50% off Movies and TV shows for Prime members  Echo Devices Starting at $29.99 All-new Show Mode Charging Dock Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

SteelSeries Sensei Laser Gaming Mouse - Grey
Style: Sensei|Color: Grey|Change

on March 16, 2018
Honestly, so far, the best ambidextrous/left-handed mouse I've used in years.

I've gone through Razer mice, and found both that the thumb buttons weren't quite in the right place for me, making them difficult to actually use in game, and lately, I have to say their quality/durability has fallen off. First Razer mouse I used, an original copperhead, is actually still functional but very worn and looks it. Last Razer mouse, Orochi, lasted less than 2 months before a main button stopped working.

After that, tried EVGA, just because the price was amazing. I got 2 Torx 3X Laser mice. Same problem with thumb button, needed to somewhat turn mouse to use thumb buttons, making them less than convenient and undependable in game. Also, very quickly, inside of 2 months, the rubber on the mouse wheel loosened, making the wheel close to completely non-functional. Also, for my hand, somewhat small, the whole mouse seemed somewhat long and flat.

I then tried the logitech G300 mouse, but found the mouse a strange shape, very high, with the left and right buttons 'grooved' so low it was impossible to hit those buttons and the middle mouse button/wheel at the same time, which I do for some games. I also could not use the 'thumb' buttons and right mouse button at the same time, as the 'thumb' buttons faced straight up and were designed to be pressed by the same finger that pressed the right mouse button - index finger in my case as I'm left-handed. Again, I use that combination of thumb and right mouse button in some games, so the Logitech mouse was a no-go for games.

Finally I tried this mouse, the SteelSeries Sensei 310 Gaming Mouse. It feels so good, just perfect in my hand. the thumb buttons are in the right place to use w/o twisting the mouse, and I may even be able to use the 2 buttons on the other side. As I am not pressing them accidently, I think I can leave them active and use them, a first for an ambidextrous mouse in my experience. The materials feel good, the switches seem solid so far, and the software is great once you get used to it. It even has a cloud feature, so I can keep the settings the same for the mouse I use /w my laptop, and the one I use /w my desktop.

The only other mouse I'd consider is the second newest Logitech wired/wireless one, G900, (I don't need Lightspeed charging of G903), but the G900 Still costs over $100, more than 2x the cost of the Sensei 310.

Again, for me, so far, 2 months in, this is best ambidextrous/left-handed mouse I've ever used - just great design overall.
on September 15, 2017
The profile and overall shape of the mouse are ideal for me. The activation force and tactile feedback of all the buttons are excellent as well. Unfortunately, the scroll wheel has an intermittent problem that develops when gaming in which it becomes hypersensitive to the touch of my hand. When this happens just a slight pressure on the wheel causes it to activate (e.g., switch weapons) even though the wheel hasn't moved another notch. Consequently, to be conservative while gaming, I have to make sure not to assign any function to the scroll wheel. Since this problem is intermittent, I suspect that using the middle mouse button repeatedly puts the wheel out of position (perhaps) and results in this behavior. It's too bad, because except for this problem, it would be my favorite mouse to use.
3 people found this helpful
on January 4, 2018
Overall, I think that this is a great mouse but I need some time to get used to using it for gaming for long periods. The software that comes with it is really fun because you can choose any color from a full color palette to change the glow of the logo and wheel lights. The mouse surface is sort of a powdery, matte texture so it feels comfortable in a way where my hand isn't sticking to the surface. The button clicks feel great and the wheel has a nice robust notched scroll to it.

The only thing that I have against it is that the first gaming session with this mouse, my hand cramped after an hour or so. I think that over time, I will build up different muscles in my hand and it won't be a problem but the hand fit of the mouse is not as good as my previous razor mouse. The mouse sort of wants to push out of my palm when I rest my hand on it so I have to grip the sides with my thumb and ring/pinky fingers a little tighter than what I used to. I really like the side grips for your fingers though. The pad on both sides has a nice raised texture that gives you a solid hold.

Sort of a mild wish is that the side buttons stuck out a bit more because they are pretty flush with the surface and it makes them a little hard to find with your thumb. I think this is just another learning curve thing that will get better when I get used to the mouse. Being an ambidextrous mouse, there are side buttons on the right side as well but I don't find those as a problem at all since they are so flush with the surface.
on November 27, 2013
Original Review: (See the bottom for a couple of updates, and the comments for a good fix if your scroll wheel starts acting up)

As with most input devices, a mouse's efficacy is largely dependent upon its planned use case(s). I bought this for my office laptop, so I'll mostly be using it while programming (and writing Amazon reviews, naturally). Side uses will include some Photoshop and opportunistic gaming (MMORPG / FPS).

I'm very old fashioned. I've stuck with the MS Intellimouse/Basic Wheel Mouse Optical for easily the past 12 years. Not because it was ever the best mouse, but because it became familiar and comfortable over time. I'm also left-handed, and it's hard to find a good ambidextrous mouse (one with lengthwise symmetry). Finding a good, reasonably priced, left-hand specific mouse is also difficult.

One of the reasons I bought the SteelSeries Sensei Raw is because of its similarity in shape to the old MS mice. (I'll upload a couple of pictures showing the comparison). The Sensei is slightly taller and longer, and is actually more comfortable for my big paws.

Tracking is smooth on my faux-mahogany desktop, both in the sense that cursor movement matches mouse movement accurately, and in that the coefficient of friction to the desk is low.

The Sensei isn't particularly heavy, but it's also not so light that the relaxation of the cord can push it around (a problem with very low end mice).

The braided nylon sheath on the USB cable is a nice touch of quality, though I've had no problems in the past with typical mouse cables. The cord is still kinked up from the packaging so I'll have to reserve my judgement on it. So far it's fine. The cord doesn't sway me either way as to my overall verdict on the mouse.

My only gripe (and it's a minor one) is that the left- and right-click buttons are fairly loud. I'm certain that with my office door open the people sitting outside will have no doubts about when I click. The scroll wheel is pretty quiet, though. It does click audibly, but barely so.

I have the LEDs set to their default glow/pulsation setting, and it's not distracting at all. However, I'm in a well-lit office; If I buy one for home I might opt to turn them off or dim them significantly, because I like working with low ambient light.

The rubberized texture is pleasant, and neither too slippery nor too sticky. It has almost a silky feel to it, which I find to be surprisingly pleasant.

The build seems solid: I know it's not a top-of-the-line mouse, so I don't expect it to be perfect. But there is almost no flex in the body, though it does creak slightly when pressed hard at the palm rest.

I have an objection to this being called a "gaming mouse", though. While it should be more than adequate for basic gaming, I think that it's neither ergonomic enough for marathon sessions nor does it have enough buttons to effectively manage inventory/weapons/etc. (Though it has a pair of buttons on the left and right sides, you can realistically only use the pair on the thumb side unless your pinky is specially adroit). I would consider this to be a higher-end general purpose mouse.

The SteelSeries Engine (the configuration software) is pretty straightforward and has a user-friendly design. Immediately upon opening the software it's obvious how to change button assignments, adjust mouse sensitivity and LED brightness, and create/modify profiles. The button assignment functionality supports the use of keypress macros, including the optional recording of delays between key presses. You can also assign buttons to launch applications, issue text macros, or disable them altogether.

Overall I would rate the software as "excellent". I should note that the software isn't included in the packaging, but it can be downloaded from SteelSeries' site. I give them credit for their bandwidth as well -- the software is 45MB (not sure why it needs to be that large), and on my internet connection it took a matter of a few seconds to transfer. I had no issues at all with software installation or the firmware upgrade in my Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit environment.

I'd like to note that it shouldn't be necessary to install the SteelSeries Engine to use the mouse (in Windows 7 at least). The OS was able to install the correct drivers for basic functionality without my involvement.

In conclusion, this mouse is comfortable, accurate, smooth, and has great software. I haven't owned it long, so my 5-star rating will stand up so long as this mouse stands up to regular use.

The good ol' Microsoft mice to which I've become accustomed lasted me for YEARS of heavy use, so the Sensei has big shoes to fill as far as reliability goes. (I think my oldest MS Wheel Mouse Optical is from 2002 and still works great!)

Update (2016-02-01):

A few days ago the scroll wheel started acting funny. It still works, but for example when scrolling down rapidly the content on screen will jump back up to slightly lower than the original position. It's like that song, except it takes two steps forward and 1.8 steps back. Some very aggressive scroll wheel action will eventually translate to significant movement, but it's unpredictable and hence inaccurate.

And it's definitely a hardware problem, because I've tried it on a couple of other machines and it does the same thing. It doesn't matter what application I'm using either, and another mouse works just fine on the original system.

I originally gave this 5 stars, but for the price I expected the mouse to last more than 2 years. We buy cheap ($10-ish) Logitechs and no-name mice at my office (I paid for the Sensei out of my own pocket), and even those tend to work OK for years at a time.

Update (2016-10-17):

In the comments here, Duncan pointed me to a site that described a fix. I didn't have the same issue as described in that post, but some aggressive blowing of the scroll sensor with canned air seems to have solved the problem.. for now. On balance it's still a good mouse, but the design seems to allow that sensor to get gummed up or bent out of shape pretty easily. So I'm at 4 stars as of now. I hate to be wishy-washy, but it's an easy fix. In the post the author suggests buying new skates/foot pads, but I found that by sliding a screw driver rapidly underneath them the long way enough adhesive remained that I could just stick 'em back on.

All that having been said, I found my new favorite mouse: The Razer DeathAdder Essentials Ergonomic PC Gaming Mouse - Left Hand Edition - Comfortable Grip I needed to mod it to swap the buttons in hardware because the soft setting didn't translate over Remote Desktop. Other than that, it's extremely comfortable and a good size for me. It's not ambidextrous like the old MS mouse, which could be a downside if you have multiple users (shared home desktop, etc.), but if you're left handed and like the MS mouse, it's a good upgrade.
review image
30 people found this helpful
|77 comments|Report abuse
on January 30, 2018
The slightest microscopic piece of dust will throw the cursor out of wack on these. I have both this one and the rival 310. Same sensor, same behavior. Not really a problem I guess. Just have to make sure your mouse mat is like laboratory clean room free of particles. Other mice I've tried don't exhibit this behavior.
The buttons are all excellent. No accidental clicks. I've found over time that what really matters is the shape, size and buttons. I have another mouse where I love the shape, but the right click button is mush. Breath on it and it activates. Constant accidental clicks.
All the sensors are good these days. No need to buy in to any hype on one particular sensor. I use a really light claw grip and this shape is almost perfect. I have medium sized hands and would like it to be slightly smaller in length. This one is about 125mm, I'm going to try the zowie fk2 which is 120mm. I have a feeling that one will be perfect for me as I don't like my palm touching the mouse much. (I only play FPS) YMMV This is a great mouse, as is the rival. Just be sure mouse pad is perfectly clean and you're good to go. Took me a little while to figure that out.
on September 14, 2014
The Sensei is the lightest mouse I've used in a while at 90g, so its lower starting friction and momentum make it easy to use with a fingertip grip. The wheel is fairly stiff, with well defined detents that makes selection very easy, and the middle button has a tactile-enough click to be useful, if not anything special. The primary buttons took 55g to actuate, which is much lighter than my Logitech G500 at 65g, and the Sensei has a significantly tighter reset point at only 50g as opposed to the G500's 35g. I didn't notice a gameplay difference from the tighter reset point, but in theory it should allow you to release the button quicker if you're doing something like sniping with the Classic in TF2. The Sensei also has some post-travel, though, which might cancel out any benefits.

The glide feet are wide, smooth, and well placed to absorb the pressure of a heavy palm grip. They do not have any pry slots, though, so changing them will be a bit more of a hassle.

The only major hardware disadvantage I found was the side buttons: They have a high actuation force and significant post-travel, making them feel mushy and imprecise. The buttons are positioned so that your thumb can press either the front or back just by rolling, and mirrored to be usable with either hand, but the feel was so distracting that I simply didn't use them.

The software was pleasing to use because the focus was clearly on adjusting things and getting out. No lengthy animations or flashy splash screens to get in the way, no confusing menus or marketing buzzwords, just let me configure stuff and leave. SteelSeries claim their software uses significantly less memory than others' offerings, which I found to be true: The "SteelSeriesEngine3" process reserved only 15,828K compared to the Logitech Gaming Framework "LCore" process, which reserved 76,588K. Still, in today's world of 8GB gaming PCs, I have to wonder if an additional 0.8% usage really makes a difference. The only improvement I would like to see in the software would be a way to adjust the CPI dials in steps, instead of guessing what the next highest or lowest setting will be. The Sensei Raw will only adjust in increments of 90 CPI, so trying to translate "I want one step higher" takes a bit of trial-and-error or math.

Overall, it's a great gaming mouse. It tracks well, it's comfortable, it didn't feel slippery or loose, the cable didn't drag, and it certainly didn't have a negative impact anywhere. The only reason it doesn't get five stars from me are the essentially useless side buttons that make it functionally a three button mouse. It is certainly one of the better ambidextrous mice, though.
4 people found this helpful
on April 3, 2018
Posting this review after using the new mouse for about a week.

Unfortunately, my old Steelseries Kana was breaking down. Time for an upgrade. I bought my first Kana in late 2013. It was the best gaming mouse I ever held. The ambidextrous feel, the same buttons on both the thumb and pinky side. Not overly cluttered like those awful 12 button MMO mice.
The left clicker stopped responding in December of '15. Lasted almost 2 years. I bought another Kana since they were still being sold. That is the one that this Sensei 310 is replacing. I can no longer get the Kana, but the Sensei 310 fits the job just as good, if not better. This one also adds 2 another button on both the thumb and pinky sides. No complaints. Until further notice I'll definitely recommend Steelseries over Logitech, Corsair and most importantly Razer. All my friends that use Razer mice report failures within a year to a year and a half of regular use.
on March 10, 2018
I had an older model Sensei mouse for around 3 years that worked really well. The only reason I ditched it was because the middle mouse button had a hard time registering when it was held down, and I couldn't work with that in certain games. So when I found out there was a much newer version, I immediately got this. It's even better with the rubber grips and the same comfortable form that I liked with the old one. The four, low profile buttons on the sides are very useful without being too much. It's hard to accidentally click the wrong one, as is the case with most other gaming mice with additional buttons. I always hated 'ergonomic' mice, I found them uncomfortable, and the uniformity of both sides would make this a great mouse for someone who is left handed. It's highly sensitive, highly adjustable, and overall good quality. This thing works far better and is way more comfortable than any Razer mouse I've seen, which tend to be twice as expensive.
on July 26, 2015
This review is for the wired Sensei (not RAW) mouse. I had been using a Razer DeathAdder (Left-Handed) mouse, which had ceased to work reliably. I purchased this mouse as a compromise (it is marketed as being for ambidextrous use), since I was unable to find a dedicated left-handed mouse that met my needs. The product lost a star for not yet being compatible with SteelSeries newest software ("Engine 3"). I found the Engine 2 software to be confusing to use. There is an option for left-handed use, but it only alters the positions of the left click and right click buttons and does not alter the functionality of the thumb buttons. I needed to delete several non-functioning "profiles" in order to set up the mouse. There are no instructions, so it is a matter of trial and error. Nevertheless, after 10-15 minutes, I figured it out and was able to switch the buttons. Using the now-configured mouse is a dream. It is very comfortable for left-handed use. I am using it on a Razer Destructor 2 mouse pad. I have never had a mouse (including the Razer Naga) that appeared to float as easily when moved across the mouse pad, or work as well. The buttons are well placed and are responsive.

The Steelseries web site indicates that they are working to extend Engine 3 to the Sensei. When they do, I will re-evaluate the review.

Update Sept 17, 2015 Still no update. Not acceptable for their top of the line product.
on October 20, 2014
This is the first mouse that I've owned that isn't a stock mouse. After using it for a month, here are some of my impressions:

The "breathing effect" novelty wears off quickly. Thankfully I was able to switch it to trigger mode, where it lights up on a right or left mouse click (the side buttons and scroll wheel do not activate it). The responsiveness is excellent, and the quickswitch mouse sensitivity has noticeably improved my gaming performance. The four side buttons are a bit of an adjustment and you may find yourself awkwardly shifting your hand a little to reach the buttons; after a couple of days I got used to it, however.

The cord is standard USB cable quality, which isn't as good as it could have been. The light colored cable has some scuff marks from the cable management holes I route it through, but its only cosmetic. Still, a braided cable would have been great here.

The material is where I had to knock off a star. While the mouse performs quite nicely, I find my hand getting sweaty very quickly, and the hard white plastic becomes slippery. I also need to clean off the mouse more often, because the grease from my hand deposits and leaves a gross-feeling residue. Wash your hands!

If I were to buy another Sensei--and I would in a heartbeat--I'd buy the matt black, because it has a more "non-slip" surface. For an entry-level gaming mouse that goes great with white colored setups (I have an NZXT H440) this is a great buy, especially at the price point!
2 people found this helpful