Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Noah Gundersen PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-24 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 1, 2010, 11:22:43 AM PDT
Steelers got lucky in the two games they won against Dallas in the Super Bowls. Especially the second one, when Jackie Smith dropped a wide-open TD pass, there was a "phantom" pass interference call which WOULD NOT BE CALLED in today's NFL (it's now called "incidental contact"), a fumble on a kickoff by a lineman with a cast on his hand, and the umpire getting in the way of a tackler to spring Franco Harris for a TD run where he should have been tackled. Steelers had a GREAT TEAM, and EARNED the title of "Team of the 1970's" with their 4 SB wins. But Dallas got jobbed in that second Super Bowl for sure.

And the "America's Team" thing? The other teams just REFUSE to accept that YES, Dallas WAS THE MOST POPULAR TEAM based on sales of gear, TV ratings, etc. Did that mean ANYTHING ELSE besides the fact that they were the MOST POPULAR TEAM? NO. They were merely the most popular team, and that is a fact that no resentment about the "America's Team" moniker can change. It's HISTORICAL FACT so quit whining about it, quit punching them in the face about it. It was nothing THEY did - it just happened.

Posted on Sep 3, 2010, 5:57:10 PM PDT
Boo Hoo, cry like a little girl. Face it you got beat like a red-headed step-child.

I love sour grapes the Cryboys cry about all of their losses to the Steelers. Face it the scores never going to change. Deal with it.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2010, 7:39:09 AM PDT
I have dealt with it. I gave the Stealers ample respect in my post - did you miss that part? They were the Team of the 1970's and time can't change that. Congrats to them and their fans.

But did they EARN that last one against Dallas? Not really. It's not "sour grapes" when it's THE REALITY of the situation.

Posted on Sep 7, 2010, 10:08:27 AM PDT
A funny thing about the play Franco scored on:FF to Oct.'79 when D went to PGH...they scored on the same play.Legend has it Charlie Waters turned & bumped into the SAME official...AGAIN.You got out-coached,out-hustled & blown-off the line of scrimmage.Just keepin it real Mr REALITY.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2010, 10:20:07 AM PDT
Hey, you sound more like a sore winner than I do a sore loser.

Pitt won the 1st SB game fair and square. However, nothing you can say changes the fact that they got LUCKY in the second one.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2010, 8:48:23 PM PDT
Chris says:
Just let it go. No more excuses. The Cowboys just didn't measure up that day. All the whining will never change the outcome. Move on with your life.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2010, 8:29:52 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 8, 2010, 8:30:15 AM PDT
The Cowboys measured up just fine. It was the REFS who had a tough day.

Look, I've watched the NFL since 1971. I know, KNOW, NFL Football.

Sometimes the refs have bad days. Sometimes teams fumble and drop touchdown passes. Sometimes Umpires get in the way of tacklers. That happens.

Lots of times, NFL teams win games they should have lost, and lose games they should have won.

But for all of it to happen in ONE GAME, and the team who is the recipient of all that good fortune to think they won the game on their own PERFORMANCE, THAT DAY? Um, No.

Pitt won a game they should have lost. History cannot take that SB away from them, nor their other 5 SB wins, but they know they got lucky THAT DAY.

It's not whining, it's rational observation.
Pitt won the game. But they did not completely EARN it, and things bounced their way that day.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2010, 8:57:47 AM PDT
J. Ensley says:
What exactly are you trying to accomplish by going on and on about this?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2010, 9:56:59 AM PDT
Nothing. I'm just replying to other posts who keep misinterpreting my intent. My intent was delivered in the first post.

Posted on Sep 17, 2010, 2:47:11 PM PDT
T. Kozlowski says:
dude it was 35-17 when the steelers backed off so there was no luck involved. plus the steelers took it to dallas when they played in the regular season also so stop sucking sour grapes

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2010, 2:55:12 PM PDT
The Cowboys measured up just fine. It was the REFS who had a tough day.

Look, I've watched the NFL since 1971. I know, KNOW, NFL Football.

Sometimes the refs have bad days. Sometimes teams fumble and drop touchdown passes. Sometimes Umpires get in the way of tacklers. That happens.

Lots of times, NFL teams win games they should have lost, and lose games they should have won.

But for all of it to happen in ONE GAME, and the team who is the recipient of all that good fortune to think they won the game on their own PERFORMANCE, THAT DAY? Um, No.

Pitt won a game they should have lost. History cannot take that SB away from them, nor their other 5 SB wins, but they know they got lucky THAT DAY.

It's not whining, it's rational observation.
Pitt won the game. But they did not completely EARN it, and things bounced their way that day.

Posted on Sep 18, 2010, 11:01:07 AM PDT
Fred Goodwin says:
I've been a Dallas fan since the mid-60s when the Cowboys were as bad as the Steelers. The Steelers were definitely the Team of the 70s, and the Cowboys were not. It's time for my fellow Cowboy fans to let it go and move on.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2010, 9:34:01 AM PDT
I am NOT TRYING TO TAKE THE TITLE OF "TEAM OF THE 1970s" AWAY FROM THE Stealers.

THEY EARNED IT. ON THE FIELD.

My point is, and remains, and the FACTS SUPPORT IT, that the Stealers DID NOT EARN the second Super Bowl victory over the Cowboys. The got some fortunate luck and took advantage of it, but it was more a case of a collection of unusually bad things happening to the Cowboys in that game than it was the Stealers doing anything well. See my previous posts for those details.

Posted on Sep 21, 2010, 3:44:04 PM PDT
Dukeshire says:
First of all Mr. Singleton I cannot take you seriously because of how you label the Steelers "Stealers." Your logic is skewed, the Steelers had a big lead in the 4th quarter and while luck does play a role, the right team won as they were better than Dallas that day and almost any other.

By your logic the Steelers should have won Super Bowl XXX. They were the better team that day, Deion Sanders clearly interfered in the end zone but the play was not called. If Neil O'Donnell had not thrown those two passes then the Steelers would have won.

Let's face it, the Steelers destroyed any dynasty that the Raiders or Cowboys could have had in the 70s because they were better. The city and its fans and the entire organization was Blue Collar, the Cowboys were the rich, Republican elites, with jets, cheerleaders and great facilities and that made them soft. Also Landry and company were a bunch of douchebags and thank Allah for the Steelers so we do not have to hear stories about how great they and the overrated Raiders were in the 70s.

Damn that Immaculate Reception: Started the whole dynasty and that was "luck."

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2010, 3:50:59 PM PDT
Nice post. I agree with your points. I'll stop calling them the "Stealers" although for that Super Bowl, they were.

None of that "the Cowboys were soft blah blah blah" mattered on the field. The Cowboys hit and played as hard as any other team.

Let me repeat, and CAPITAL it AGAIN for EMPHASIS (not Yelling):

THE STEELERS EARNED ****EARNED**** THE TITLE "TEAM OF THE DECADE" WITH THEIR PROWESS ON THE FIELD. I NEVER EVER CHALLENGED THAT MYTHICAL TITLE.

But I do still to this day challenge their tainted victory in the 1979 Super Bowl. They got VERY lucky, and took advantage of some very unusual things (a dropped touchdown pass, a blown pass interference call, a fumble by a lineman with a cast on his hand, a referee getting in the way of a Cowboys tackler) to win that game. They deserved their accolades, but that game was more luck than Steelers prowess.

And let's not even talk about how the refs robbed the Seahawks when they lost to the Steelers in their Super Bowl.

Posted on Sep 21, 2010, 4:03:45 PM PDT
Fred Goodwin says:
@Singleton: I think we get your point. My point? As a fellow Cowboys fan, it's time to move on.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2010, 8:01:34 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 28, 2010, 8:10:26 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2010, 8:01:48 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 28, 2010, 8:09:54 PM PDT
C. Stangl says:
I'm not sure why it's the Steelers fault that a pass interference was called that "would not be called in today's NFL." I'm pretty sure it's the rules of the game at the time that matter. 1978 was the first year the NFL loosened up the pass interference rules and cracked down on what a DB could do. What is incidental contact today could easily be something refs were emphasizing the first year of a new rule.

Second, you can call it luck that Randy White fumbled a kickoff because he was wearing a cast on his hand. I prefer to say that White shouldn't have tried to return the kickoff with a cast on his hand. That's not luck, it's poor judgment, something championship teams minimize. It was just as much luck that Dallas recovered an onside kick with less than a minute to go and trailing 35-24. Hard to say Dallas got robbed if they lose by 11.

Here's a thorough and evenhanded discussion of some of the bitterness former Cowboys still feel about that game:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/nfl/superbowl/thegame/stories/073110dnspoclassicsuperbowl1979.6ada047.html

The only thing missing is Bradshaw's stat line: 17-30, 318 yards, 4 TDs, 1 Int. The Cowboys - especially Hollywood Henderson - mocked Bradshaw all week for being too dumb. They disrespected the guy up and down and he made them pay. Bradshaw carved up the Cowboys defense (10.5 yards per attempt?) and that's the single reason that best explains why the game turned out the way it did.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2010, 7:08:33 AM PDT
J. Harding says:
WHINER.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2010, 10:38:43 PM PDT
Mark Dudley says:
Dallas fans whine but forget when they say the steelers were lucky. First. in 1975 if the refs had called Offensive PI on Drew Pearson who pushed off during the famous hail mary play they Cowboys would not have been in SB X to lose in the first place. In 1977 Dallas won SB 12 and had two losses. One was a 28-13 pasting by the steelers in Three Rivers statduim. In SB 13, John Stallworth who was on his way to a SB MVP missed the entire second half with cramps and did not play after scoring two TD's in the first half. Dallas was lucky Stallworth did not play the second half because Aaron Kyle could not cover him...period. Lastly the Steelrs were up 35-17. If Jackie Smith catches that pass it is 35-21. Dallas made mistakes and lost. Just like the Steelers did in SB 30. Except for the first Qtr the Steelers outplayed Dallas that day but turnovers and not taking advantage of momentum killed them. Oh yeah, in 1979 the year after SB 13, Dallas got pounded 14-3 by the Steelers again. Dallas was a great team. The Steelers were a team of a lifetime.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2010, 7:19:40 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 6, 2010, 7:29:49 AM PST
J. Stern says:
If the Cowboys win that game 3 more Cowboys would be in the HOF now. Harvey Martin , Drew Pearson and Cliff Harris. The Phantom pass interference should not have been called in any era. That being said Congrats to the Steelers as they made the most of their chances in the game.

It was probably the most devastating loss in Superbowl history outside of the 2007 Patriots .

See the NFL films version of the Superbowl . It shows that although the Steelers were great the Cowboys were also unlucky that day.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2010, 7:32:44 AM PST
J. Stern says:
The 1979 game the Cowboys didn't have Ed Jones who was boxing , Charlie Waters and T Henderson was coked out. For the record.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2010, 6:41:42 PM PST
Yeah, the Steelers were SO lucky that the Cowboys decided to be cute and run a drive-killing gadget play instead of just playing straight up football, which the Steelers DID. The Steelers were SO lucky that Charlie Waters and Cliff Harris decided to switch assignments and leave a hole in their defense big enough for Franco Harris and a Mack truck to run straight through, and that when Mel Blount and Robin Cole decided to switch assignments, Roger Staubach got confused and threw the ball into quadruple-coverage with Blount waiting for it. They were SO lucky that Tom Landry, in his infinite wisdom, had Randy White on a kickoff team with a cast on his hand, and Roy Gerela's squib kick just happened to find him. Yeah, Jackie Smith dropped a sure game-TYING touchdown pass, but if Mike Hegman had not returned a fumble for a touchdown, the final score might only have been 35-24 Steelers, but why bother with the actual details of the game? My boys won and your boys lost. Deal with it!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2010, 6:45:00 PM PST
By the way, "America's Team" was a figment of Tex Schramm's imagination. Tom Landry would just as soon have done without it, and I do give him credit for that. It's just too bad he had to work for a blowhard showman.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  13
Total posts:  24
Initial post:  Sep 1, 2010
Latest post:  Dec 17, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers