Spring Deals Automotive Amazon First Reads Casual Friday Style nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Only: $44.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment. Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now TG18SW_gno

Steel's Edge (The Edge, Book 4)
Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on January 31, 2017
I really need to start writing the reviews as I finish the books. That way I don't forget what I was thinking about when I was reading. I am adapting my friend's staring system to review. I really enjoyed this book. Way better than book 3, which was an utter disappointment.
⭐️ Character development: Charlotte de Ney, was a very interesting character to me. I liked her grace, her courage and her ability to actually surprise me half the time. The rest of the characters were so so, mostly characters that were already introduced in earlier books, and characters that I am hoping will eventually get their own book? Not Jack, but George, I think that would be an interesting book. Richard was a little Blah, but thats okay.
⭐️⭐️ World building: Freebie, I already liked the world from the previous books. Though this one did not introduce anything new, we got to learn a little more about the Weird, which was nice considering many of the characters come from there.
⭐️⭐️⭐️ Ease of read: The previous books did were not as much of a page turner as this one was. Not much more to say on that.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Element of Surprise/ plot twist: I really liked her powers, and there were a few twists and turns in the story that did make me surprised.
Lasting impression: I did not give this book this point. Since I am trying to recall what I was feeling when I read the book, and cannot even remember most of what the book was about. So no point there.
Charlotte is a healer of enormous power, but she also has the ability to kill, to a truly terrifying degree. To give into that side of her nature is to become an Abomination.

Richard is a magically enhanced swordsman of tremendous skill and power as well as a master of disguises. For years now, he has been engaged in an excruciatingly dangerous mission to avenge the massive harm to a beloved young relative of his at the hands of outlaw slavers by doing everything he can to foil the epidemic of illegal slavery throughout the multiple kingdoms of his world.

Fate brings these two together when the murder of a beloved friend at the hands of vicious slavers sets Charlotte on the same path as Richard. They join forces against the evil slavers, but it is obvious from the start of their teaming up that the odds are not in their favor. Nevertheless, they are both utterly determined to root out the ultimate source of the horrific infestation of slavery, even when they discover its mastermind is an apparently untouchable member of the highest echelons of their society.

I enjoyed this fourth book in The Edge series, though I have to say that Book 1 remains my absolute favorite of the four. Charlotte is a very strong heroine, and Richard is an extremely sympathetic, noble hero. However, I had trouble getting over the cringe factor of the surgical sacrifice that Richard makes in pursuit of taking down the Big Bad. The book is particularly well plotted out in the various ways that Charlotte is allowed to utilize her amazing magical power to defeat the bad guys and ultimately resolve a running thread throughout the series by having her involved in the takedown of some truly grotesque villains.

The Andrews writing team states on their website that they consider this wonderful paranormal romance series finished with this, the fourth book. The beloved characters, brothers George and Jack, are in all four books, starting out in book 1 as, respectively, ages 10 and 8, and in this book ages 16 and 14. George is a necromancer and while still only a teenager in this book, it is clear that he is already well on his way to being the spymaster he eventually becomes (see below). He utilizes birds and mice he has risen from the dead as instruments of his spying--which is both poignant and funny. Jack is just coming into full puberty in this book and is growing in strength as a shapeshifter lynx. I am happy to report that in Sweep in Peace, the second in the Andrews's self-published Innkeeper Chronicles series, George and Jack show up again. They are now age 29 and 27. I dearly hope that the Andrews team will reconsider ending the Edge world and instead write a book each for these wonderful brothers and give them their own love stories.

SPOILER ALERT for this book and for Sweep in Peace: It surprised and disappointed me that a hideously evil villain who was presumably finished off for good (and good riddance) at the end of this book, as it turns out, actually wasn't killed. I know this because we are informed in the prologue of Sweep in Peace, from George's point of view, that this bad guy is finally truly dead, offstage and undescribed, at George's hands. That inconsistency was confusing and anti-climactic in the context of the events of this book.

I experienced this book both in Kindle form and then again as an audiobook narrated by the magnificent Renee Raudman. She narrates all the Andrews's books, and it is always a delight to enjoy one of her performances.

I rate this book as follows:

Heroine: 5 stars
Writing: 5 stars
Audio Narration: 5 stars
Overall: 5 stars
on April 14, 2014
Steel’s edge is just as fun as any of the other books in this series. It is full of action and family and I enjoyed every minute I spent in this world. Now I know that this is supposed to be the end of the edge series but it seems that even though the older couples have had their arcs completed it is entirely possible that in the future Ilona Andrews might try to do something else in this world that involves George, Jack and Sophie. I would definitely be interested in that series.

That said this book is about Richard and Charlotte who are thrown together when Richard is mortally wounded and is brought to her for help. After a devastating incident Charlotte is determined to help Richard destroy the slavers, while the serious man is reluctant to accept her help he sees that they have many things in common and he could use a little help from an extremely beautiful woman he is attracted to.

-- "Congratulations,” he said, his voice dry. “You finally managed to find a woman as tragically noble as yourself. I didn’t think one existed.”

The action is intense and there are a few heartbreaking moments along the way. I like Richard and Charlotte together they complement each other well and both have tragic pasts where they have been wronged by the ones they loved. Charlotte is a great heroine, being deadly and kind. She knows who she is and can put others in their place when they try to encroach on her, especially when the man isn’t Richard.

-- "Having a fling with you doesn’t appeal to me. You’re handsome, but you’re too inexperienced and too arrogant to be good in bed. Having ridden many horses doesn’t make you a good rider; it just proves that you can’t recognize a good one or don’t know how to keep her. You’re too young for me, and in ten years, when you improve, I will be too old for you. So let’s not speak of this again.”

One of the best parts of this book is that George and Jack get to tag along through much of it and Sophie gets a spot in all of the deceit and fun too. I love all of those kids and I really would read another book that included or was about them. Sophie is still so broken from her time with the slavers and has become probably more deadly than even Richard or Celise. Gods help the enemy that tries to go up against Sophie.

-- “The death isn’t important. The only thing that matters is the moment of decision. My path is a line. My opponent’s path is another line. In the instant we meet, we’re forever altered. We may both walk away, or my line or his line may end, but for a brief time we exist in the same space on the verge of action, and that space is full of possibilities. It’s the moment in which I truly live. It’s short. It’s always so very short.”

The other thing I loved about this book was the relationship between Charlotte and Richard. The resolution of the plot affected one of the MCs in a way that could have really tested the actual love felt between the characters. Without giving away what happened I wanted to say that it was handled so well. When you love someone, really love them, when a tragedy sticks you take care of one another no matter what. I thought it was wonderful the way it played out and I will say I totally teared up at the level of devotion felt between the two MCs

This book did tie up very well most of the story lines in a complete manor. There is no wondering what happened to all of the enemies the hand, the slavers or the people in charge of them. I would also say that the story lines for many of the main players are totally wrapped up. The only ones that had great openings still are with George, Jack and Sophie so like I said before I hope that Ilona Andrews has some ideas for them down the road. I know that George is making an appearance in book 2 of the Clean Sweep series for sure.

Another great and fun series from Ilona Andrews…what will you guys think of next.
on March 1, 2013
The Edge series ends with another exciting installment. We've travelled the Edge world - from the Edge to the Broken, back to the Edge and now into the Weird. We've also had very different heroes and heroines in each story - something I have come to appreciate in romance series.

This is a romance with a lot of action.

This go-round we have Charlotte and Richard, both trained from an early age in the mannerisms of the blueblood Weird elite. Charlotte is The Healer, very powerful and living in the Edge with Rose's grandmother because she is afraid of using the darker side of her ability. I love stories that focus on the destructive possibilities of a healing power. We first met Richard in Bayou Moon. Cerise's cousin, Kaldar's brother, and a father-figure to Lark/Sophie, Richard hunts slavers, the people who nearly destroyed Sophie when she was very young.

Richard and Charlotte team up to go after the head of the slavery ring, falling in love along the way. They are very evenly matched and fit well together. This isn't an angsty romance. It is more their mission than any insecurity that gets in their way. I liked that a lot.

Lots of action, some heartbreak for fans of the series, and lots of George, Jack and Sophie. We also get more of Spider and get to see what happened to some family members from previous books. The bits where Charlotte takes Sophie under her wing were really well done. Bayou Moon is still my fav book of the Edge, but as a whole I have really enjoyed this romance series.

I thought Steel's Edge was a good end to the series, although I hope some day the Andrews team will come back with the future adventures of an all growed up George, Jack and Sophie.
VINE VOICEon July 14, 2014
This is the story of Charlotte de Ney and Richard Mar. Charlotte is a blueblood from the Weird who has a remarkable gift for healing. Richard is from the Edge and is a remarkable swordsman. Charlotte flees to the Edge after she learns that she is barren and her husband annuls their marriage. The gift of healing has an opposite counterpart. As strong as her healing is, she is equally able to kill with her gift. It was her strong desire to kill her fair-weather husband that sent her running.

With the help of Éléanore Drayton, who is the grandmother of Rose, George and Jack, she manages to make a new life for herself in the Edge. Things change drastically when Richard is brought to her in immediate need of healing after his encounter with slavers. The slavers are hot on his heels and recapture him, killing Éléanore and another young girl who happens to be there. Charlotte sets off to rescue Richard but has to resort to her dark side to do it.

Together, she and Richard are determined to bring down the slave trade and are even more determined when they discover who is behind it. Along the way, and despite each one feeling that they are unworthy of being loved, the two fall deeply in love.

This was a fast-paced, engaging story. I also liked getting to catch up with a couple of my favorite characters from earlier Edge books - George and Jack. I feel that this book could stand alone but it gains richness and depth if you read the rest of the Edge series first.
on March 6, 2018
I've enjoyed the Edge series from the beginning but in my opinion the authors truly outdid themselves in this finale. I do agree with other reviewers in that authors have to revisit this world. I'm aware George shows up in Inkeeper series but not to what extent. And there are continuing stories there. There was so much suspense and twists in this installment it was incredible and reading this book kept me up at night! Absolutely loved this and wish there were more.
on January 14, 2013
Of all the authors I've read in the past and currently follow, none surpass the sheer brilliance that is Ilona Andrews. The work put out by this literary duo is pure gold -- it's almost like they have novel-writing superpowers or something.

Without exaggeration, this series is awesome. For one thing, there's my girly side thrilled by a successful blending of fantasy and romance -- something I've often searched for and rarely found. Then there's the flashes of humor that always came flying in from nowhere but left me in cry-giggles (as in, don't read in public because you're getting funny looks). I still crack up whenever I think of William and his fish head-on-a-stick.

But most of all, I've fallen in deep infatuation with the characters of this series. Even more so than the Kate Daniels crew, these characters stand out as testaments to exemplary writing. The dignified absurdity of the Edgers... the palpable determination of Rose and Cerise... and the wonderful George and Jack... just wow.

And what a perfect segue into talking about Steel's Edge. What first hooked me: Charlotte. Poised and powerful, she's the kind of woman I want to be when I grow. Of course, I'm a bit behind schedule if that's my goal. But you know what I mean. She's admirable, which sadly isn't always a given with protagonists. With an abundance of whiny heroines and poorly executed antiheroes underfoot, it's refreshing to actually root for the good guy. And Richard certainly holds up his end. I had found him to be an intriguing character in Bayou Moon, but he exceeded my expectations as a lead. Most of his impressiveness comes through other characters' admiration of him -- the way he seems to be everyone's hero and role model in matters big and small. From his own perspective, he's wonderfully humble and straightforward. He's a lovely contrast of gentleman and hoodlum, and I love a good contrast.

So, yes, the characters are excellent, but there's so much about this book I enjoyed. The story seemed to go on and on in the best way possible. It's a standard length novel, clocking in at 388 pages, but there's a hefty amount of action and interaction going on. A charming romance takes place by way of manhunts, pirate adventures, teenage hijinks, royal balls, and medical marvels. There's magic, swords, monsters, and tea-sipping. It's quite a party, and yet all of this threads together into a complete, cohesive story.

Steel's Edge is a strong finale to the previous three books. It brings in many favorites from before -- particularly my personal favs: George and Jack with little teases of Kaldar. Not so much William, more's the pity, but he and the others get plenty of mention, so you still feel like they're a part of things. Families reunite, story tendrils that have been weaving about come together, and a satisfying sense of conclusion lays this little world to rest.

It's sad to see a series of this caliber end, but it's been a lovely ride.
on January 4, 2015
We have all experienced it.
The enormous let-down, the unending dissatisfaction that comes from rushed, sloppy, and seemingly neglectful work that shouts "Just get it over already!" This final story in The Edge story-arc is thoughtful and intricate. The story introduces new characters that fascinate and we visit old friends who who build the plotline, not random insertions that stall the narrative. I enjoyed it immensely. The challenges facing our heroes are huge and the reveals shocking. I understand Charlotte, it's so enraging to fit yourself into social convention or another person's vision of you and then be told that you are deficient, not acceptable. Charlotte gets to do what we want, "F* me? No, f* you." It's quite satisfying.
I am in love with George and Jack. As happy as I am to see them in the innkeeper series, I hope eventually we see their own dedicated stories.

Now I shall go and re-read it all from the beginning.
on December 16, 2012
This is supposed to be the last in The Edge series. This is a shame because the world was gaining depth and the characters developing nicely. However, the series never lived up to the potential of other books by Illona Andrews team. Don't give up on it this is still a good book; just not a great book.

The Edge lies between the Broken (no magic but does have Wal-Mart) and the Weird (magic thrives and aristocrats rule). Charlotte de Ney is a very powerful healer and an aristocrat who flees to the Edge from the Weird when her marriage crumbles because her husband finds out she is barren. Richard Mar is brought to her for treatment in The Edge after he is wounded by slavers. Unfortunately this brings her isolated life to the attention of the slavers and innocents she cares about die. Charlotte uses her healing power in reverse to curse and kill in revenge. This evil usage of her power is additive and she must fight the pull (to the dark side) to avoid using this power again. Charlotte joins Richard in his quest to end the slavers business and finds herself immensely attracted to him at the same time.

Mostly the books moves along well and we find out more about the Mars family, The Edge and The Weird. **Spoiler alert **But the climactic battle where the evil leader of the slavers admits his guilt comes across as silly. Not the actual battle, which has some excitement. But why they must make him admit his role in public, then kill him. I do not understand how this does anything more to decrease slavery than just killing him would have accomplished. In other words the whole premise of their elaborate plot to get him to admit in public his role, makes no sense. Why? After they kill him I can't see any difference versus just killing him without all the elaborate charades. Charlotte could have accomplished this easily, making him and his co slavers appear to die of natural causes if they wished to do this undetected. So with great effort they create an elaborate scenario where he confesses which is so contrived it is not truly credible. But the action moves along well and if you can suspend your disbelief at their necessity for the elaborate charade the book moves along well and has some exciting points.
on December 5, 2012
*Originally posted at BadassBookReviews.com!*

Ilona Andrews is my favorite writing duo and I enjoy both of their series, The Edge and Kate Daniels. The Edge has always been a little harder to classify than the fairly straight-up urban fantasy of Kate Daniels, but I think that is what I love so much about these books. Each one is a little bit different and each of the main couples have the freedom to develop in their own ways.

Charlotte and Richard were very interesting. Charlotte's power as a healer was a great change from the flash magic that we have seen in the other books. Her seduction by the dark side of her power was pretty thrilling and made the reader wonder if she was going to be able to come out of it alive and still be herself. I thought that Richard helped to balance her well, but she kept him on his toes by going head-to-head with him in everything. She was no wilting flower and she didn't let him treat her as such; she's The Healer after all! I have to say that I have been looking forward to a Richard book since Bayou Moon, but I was very invested in both of their backstories and loved when they finally came together as a couple. Richard was so heroic and dashing, but I really enjoyed seeing his playful side come through -- especially when he was dealing with Kaldar!

Ilona Andrews writes the absolution best depiction of children you don't want to strangle. I loved seeing Jack and George again. Those boys can make me smile and laugh and then turn around and break my heart in every book they are in. I enjoy seeing them involved in the complex adult plots and intrigue, but I also appreciate the moments when you are reminded that they are really just still kids. I thought Sophie's expanded role was amazing and was so caught up in her damaged psyche and the way that she has learned to cope with the trauma she experienced. I liked seeing her connect with Charlotte.

The plot moved at a good clip and there was never a dull moment. It was nice to get the little cameos from most of the previous characters, though I did miss William and Cerise (they are my favorites!). I liked that all of the major plotlines were tied up and the overall story felt finished. I hope that one day, Ilona Andrews is able to return to the world of The Edge... especially because we need a story starring Jack and George!