Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services billions billions billions  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis GNO National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-6 of 6 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 22 reviews
on February 21, 2012
For new and experienced presenters alike, this book is full of solid advice. I'll sum up the reasons I like this book by the two quotes that most spoke to me: 1) "Only be pleasing my audience can I subsequently achieve any of my own business goals." 2) The most stealer presentations are the simplest."

Great talks and presentations are about giving your audience something they can only get from you and delivering it in a way that's clear and easy to understand. Shel's book gives tools and advice curated from his vast experience and those he's observed (good and bad). I'll be using many of his tips when preparing for the next time I'll be in front of a group and suggest you do the same.
on February 13, 2012
I found Shel's writing helpful throughout my career (starting with Naked Conversations), and Stellar Presentations is no exception. Although not an Entrepreneur, I give lots of presentations throughout the year. Shel's presentation strategies, tips, and war stories are valuable for the public speaker at any stage of his or her career. The majority of the text focuses on dialing in the elements of presentation strategy, content and style that truly matter - a very helpful set of lenses for creating truly great speaking experiences.

Another valuable work from a gifted social business author.
on February 28, 2012
I purchased this on Kindle and have been highlighting the practical advice that is found throughout the book. Even though this is a "how to" book, I found myself absorbed in the author's storytelling. So I enjoyed the way in which this in a combination of useful advice with a seamless narrative that is makes the key points easy to remember.

If you give talks - particularly if you're pitching - this book is a must read. Don't let the brevity of the book fool you - it packs a punch, is straight to the point and will help improve your presentations.
on May 1, 2012
I purchased this book nearly three months ago when Shel mentioned it was available in a Tweet that was pushed to Facebook. I bought it because I had a presentation coming up at the very end of April - actually I gave it yesterday - and I needed some advice on how best to approach the task of preparing. At first I was a little disappointed, as my presentation had nothing to do with promoting a product or a new business, though it was about a new way of approaching business. I was not selling anything and, clearly, Shel was directing his advice to those who were seeking funding.

Nonetheless, as I read deeper into the book (which is - by the way - concise and very enjoyable) I found lots of gems that made my preparation easier and helped me feel confident in my approach. I had never presented outside my former industry (aerospace) and was a bit intimidated by the prospect, despite the fact I'd sought the engagement out. Shel's entertaining stories and venerable wisdom were a source of encouragement and succor.

I have now read it nearly two times, the second one for the express purpose of highlighting those things I found most valuable and including them in a review. I hesitated to write one until I had completed the second read, as I wanted to be sure I could genuinely say how I felt, and back it up with quotes or a paraphrase of two.

However, a few days ago Shel wrote a review of Howard Rheingold's new book in which he admitted to being only one third of the way through it, so I figure I can say what I have to say without waiting to finish up the second read. Besides, I gave the presentation I was working on and received some pretty phenomenal feedback.

Thanks, Shel. I believe this book will remain on my iPad, and in my virtual library, for some time. It's a great resource and I plan on using it once I figure out what I want to be when I grow up. I expect it will include lots of presenting and public speaking, however it turns out.
on August 2, 2013
The book advocates a storytelling-based approach to presentations as contrasted with a Powerpoint-based approach. This is not much of a surprise, as Shel Israel is one of the most captivating storytellers there is. It is important to note, though, that he does use Powerpoint, just not as an all-encompassing solution.

In addition to the stories and the insights drawn from those stories, the book includes advice on considering your audience and goals, structuring your speech, resolving common problems while giving a speech, and, importantly, having fun when giving a speech.

Shel's prose is always a pleasure to read, but perhaps it is his self-publishing effort that is showing, because the lack of good editing keeps this book from being perfect. It is still good though.
on September 17, 2014
Short, somewhat entertaining but essentially I didn’t see anything new, yet considering the price, size, and electronic delivery, I think many people beginning their exploration of Speaking/Presenting would enjoy the read.