Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Shop Popular Services MeBeforeYou MeBeforeYou MeBeforeYou  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Ellen

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 138 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 217 reviews
on February 10, 2015
My daughter goes to a school where girls are not allowed to wear pants but boys can. We raised the issue with the school board and the matter will be taken under advisement, so hopefully the policy gets changed for next school year. In the meantime, we were told by the principal that nobody would be punished for wearing pants to school when it is cold, so my daughter has elected to wear pants instead of her jumper some days this winter. Well one day a boy in her class teased her that she was in fact a boy because she dressed like one at school. She said she told him that girls wear pants too and to just look at their teacher (who is female and, ironically, wears pants almost daily). When she told me about it, I asked her if his comment made her feel like not wearing pants and just wearing the jumper to school and she replied, "No! Not when it's cold. I like wearing pants." We had a discussion about how important it is to be yourself even if others make fun of you for it. After that discussion, I came to amazon looking for books that illustrated the lesson about nonconformity. Stephanie's Ponytail is a lighthearted and fun book that does just that. Stephanie asks her mom to style her ponytail in various ways. Each time everybody at school teases her about her new ponytail, but when Stephanie continues to wear it that way and feel confident, they start to copy her and change their hairdos to be like her. Stephanie gets the last laugh at the end of the book, and my daughter laughed right along with her. This is a good book if you are looking for books to help build your child's confidence and self esteem.
on May 14, 2015
I was stunned to find that this book is only about 4" large. I mean it's no bigger than my hand. I am learning to read descriptions more carefully, for sure. It's an adorable story, great lesson about stepping out and trying to be yourself. Funny ending. If you want the full size (normal size) book, this is not the one. This one will fit in your purse, maybe even your wallet.
review image
on March 14, 2017
I wish I could give this book negative stars. It is horrible. It's mean. I want children to feel good about themselves for being themselves, not for being nasty to other kids. The protagonist taunts the other kids (after being mocked herself), telling them that they are stupid and brainless. And then the happy, triumphant ending is when she gets everyone to shave their heads so that they feel sad and ridiculed. I will never teach my child to feel better about him or herself by putting others down.
on May 20, 2015
Munsch gives empowerment to children and entertains them with sooooo many of his books. Stephanie convinces her mother to give her different types of ponytails--even if it's not the norm....in the end Stephanie pulls a fast-one on her schoolmates b/c they were copying her. Very funny and entertaining for 2 years to 7 years. Unsure if boys would enjoy the book as much as girls who can relate to those pony tails but the book does involve boys within the story...
on May 27, 2017
This is a book that I would read to my daughter when she was five or six, I have grandchildren now, and this book teaches a very important lesson, besides being funny and happy. Explains one way of thinking for yourself. Love this book!
on August 23, 2014
Great funny book! Don't let the cover scare you. While it may look like Stephanie's mom has had too much coffee, the father is scared to get involved and Stephanie is being yanked by her ponytail, its not at all about that. Just look at the baby laughing - the baby gets it.

Stephanie's mom is super. Always supporting her daughter, listening to her desires and accomplishing the different hairdos Stephanie wants to wear. The kids in Stephanie's class, including the teacher, continue to copy Stephanie's hairdo until one day, she teaches them a lesson.

Fun book to read to kids. Don't miss the half the fun. Stop and listen to the comments coming from the kids you are reading to. Don't miss out by giving the book to a child to read alone. Its so much more fun to read and listen to the comments. I learned so much about the kids in my daughters class and the teacher by reading Stephanie's Ponytail out loud.
on April 13, 2017
While I love this author and the book. This copy was printed upside down. My son and granddaughter were so disappointed about the quality of the print. want top add photos but it is taking a long time to download. Take my word, Story and Pictures are upside down!
on March 20, 2017
Daughter although she is 22 now still loved seeing and reading this.
on November 3, 2016
You NEED this book in your home library! It's a classic. As a 20 year veteran teacher, I have read this story over and over and over again at school. My own children went through more than a few copies at home it is such a well loved book. The surprise ending is the best ever and gives us all the much needed reminder to think for ourselves. Get this book. You won't be sorry.
on December 17, 2016
Ok, this and Paperbag Princess are my granddaughter's two new favorite books. You end up buying dozens of books, and I still can't figure out why the kids grab these two books (of the 8 billion on their shelves) when it is story time. All I know is that they love them both, always ask for these, so the critics have spoken!