Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 26 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 27 reviews
on May 20, 2013
I bought this for my 2-1/2 year old daughter for Easter, and she was beside herself with excitement when she opened it. She LOVES using mommy's umbrella, and now she finally has her very own. This is an extremely cute umbrella that is the perfect size for a young girl. I really like the feel of the curved handle. I also like that this umbrella doesn't have a spring-loaded "auto deploy" feature. That keeps me from having to worry about accidental eye-pokes if she mishandles the umbrella.

However, without a spring-loaded deployment method, that does mean that this takes a minor amount of strength and coordination to open. It's not a difficult or particularly strenuous task, but you have to push the slider all the way to the top to open it. The spines that run along the umbrella fabric will flex, and tension rods connected to the slider hold them in place well once the slider is moved to the top of the umbrella shaft. Since there is no auto-deploy button, that also means that this umbrella will not lock closed. It does have a small metal piece to keep the slider from starting to side up on its own, though, which I appreciate. It also has a velcro strap attached to the umbrella to keep it securely closed when not in use.

I have doubts about the build quality and longevity of this umbrella, though. The spines that run along the fabric part of the umbrella are secured in place to the fabric by a single piece of thread about 2/3rds of the way down each rod. Think of how a tent pole is run through the top area of a tent. The rods are all connected to the shaft at the very top of the umbrella, and they go into a plastic cap at the end tips that is also sewn to the umbrella. But along the length of the rod itself, there's nothing to keep it from slipping out of place if that one piece of thread unravels, breaks, etc.

That's speculation, of course. What's fact is that we had another piece of the umbrella fail within a week of owning it. The tension rods that keep the umbrella open are held to the outer umbrella spines via a very small rivet that allows the tension rod to pivot in its hinge. The rivet looks to be made of brass, and one of these rivets split and popped right off, sending the tension rod poking through the umbrella fabric. Even more unfortunately, it happened during the first rainy day we'd had since I gave my daughter the umbrella, so she was pretty upset (we'd only let her play with it a couple of times previously, promenading around the living room).

Amazon exchanged it for us without any hassle since we were within our original 30 days of purchase, which was great. However, all of these umbrellas we've owned (3 now including the 1 replacement) have had at least one tension rod hinge that is slightly tilted to one side or the other. It seems like that would put undue pressure on the hinge's rivet, so I wouldn't be surprised if they also failed at some point down the road.
on December 3, 2012
I bought the Stephen Joseph Butterfly Umbrella (and the Watermelon one, under a separate listing) from Amazon and am pretty pleased. They are bright and colorful, sized correctly for a three year-old, and durable enough to survive moderate use. These are replacements for toddler sized umbrellas from another brand (I can't remember which, they make matching raincoats) that broke after one use. The previous umbrellas were vinyl, glued to the thin aluminum spokes. When the spokes were stressed the vinyl tore immediately and the spokes were stressed as soon as any weight was put on the sides of the umbrella. This umbrella by Stephen Joseph is built more like an adult's umbrella with safety features for a child. The tip is protected by a plastic ball (I had to re-glue one of them, but it was pretty easy),and the spokes are also protected by sturdy plastic tips. The open/close mechanism is buttonless and easy to engage just by pushing up the center along the shaft. The waterproof nylon material is hooked to the spokes with little thread loops.

The kids play with it around the house while it's closed; using it as a cane or a big stick or a hook. It's survived this so far, but I've cautioned them every time I see them playing with it. I think these are built in a reasonable fashion for kids and with very nice designs. I'd definitely purchase these again until the girl's outgrow them.
on February 8, 2012
It's an umbrella for kids so I really just have three criteria:

1) Does it work?
2) Is it durable?
3) Does my kid love it?

Answers are:

1) Works great.
2) Hasn't broken yet after 4 months.
3) Kid loves it.

Not sure what other criteria there are for an umbrella for kids.
on October 22, 2011
The umbrella is really pretty. My 6 y/o loves purple and butterflies. So I figured this was the perfect match for her. Only problem was its toddler sized. So her head wont be getting wet in the rain. Cant say the same about her body. Will keep to give to my little niece and will find a larger one for my daughter.
on December 31, 2013
Upon opening we could see it was designed for child safety. Each point was protected by a child-safe ball. The handle and height was perfect for a growing 3 year old. I cannot rate 5 stars yet because it hasn't been used yet except as a parasol during the past week of unexpected sunshine. Im so glad the butterfly pattern was so cute and colorful because I cannot stomach any more princess commercialization.
on May 25, 2016
As I said in the other reviews about this set, they are so cute. The umbrella is a little flimsy but most children's umbrellas are.
on December 27, 2012
We've only had it a few days, but this umbrella seems very well made. The colors are more vibrant than in the picture, making it even cuter for a little girl. It is the perfect size for my 3 year old and she loves how easy it is to put up and down. When she outgrows this one, I'll definitely be looking for something similiar to replace it!
on June 4, 2013
My 3.75 year old daughter was begging for her own umbrella and picked out this one. We got it about 2 weeks ago and she loves it! It's easy for her to open and close on her own, seems sturdy so far, and doesn't have any poky parts that she can impale me with. The size is just right for her too.
on December 26, 2012
This was purchased for my 5 year old daughter as more of a dress up toy really. However she has been using it in the rain and snow that is hitting this week. I am really surprised by the size and functionality of this umbrella. The best part is her little hands are able to open, close, and wrap it with no assistance.
on December 28, 2012
I bought this little umbrella for my 3-year-old granddaughter. She loved it. She had no trouble opening or closing it. The colors are beautiful. The quality appears to be excellent. I bought a Stephen Joseph Umbrella for my other granddaughter last year. It still works.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.