Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Shop Now FFII_gno
Customer Discussions > I Am America (And So Can You!) forum

Stephen at the W.H. Correspondents' Dinner

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 6, 2007, 12:23:51 PM PDT
S. Helms says:
I will always be grateful to Stephen Colbert for his courage that night. The look on the faces of the "journalists" during his bit was priceless. It took about three days for ANY of them to even comment on it. Can you imagine the conversations some of them must have had..."why should we give him any more publicity?" I laughed 'til I cried...and then cried some more out of pure relief that sombody (We love you, Stephen) had the huevos to point out that the emperor has no clothes. I had almost lost hope, but now know I'm not alone.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2007, 7:31:04 AM PDT
D. Smith says:
That was a brave thing to do, aside from just bombing painfully with the audience in attendance who weren't laughing, he risked everything. Colbert must have known that Cheney could have arranged any revenge he could dream up.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2007, 8:46:46 PM PDT
T. Vos says:
Colbert was hilarious!

Everyone was stunned. I think most of the Republicans there suddenly realized for the first time that Colbert is only pretending to be a conservative.

He cut right to the bone on almost every point, roasting the Bush administration.
Those attending the dinner didn't know what to do - they thought you were only allowed to make jokes which supported the President and made him look like he had a sense of humor.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2007, 10:49:49 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 9, 2007, 10:50:43 AM PDT
Grayovac says:
For an insightful discussion about that night's performance, check out today's interview with Stephen on NPR's "Fresh Air". About 10 minutes of the interview concerns that night (including a few clips).

Here's the link:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=15116383

(MP3 should be available for download this evening).

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2007, 11:04:21 AM PDT
i think the whole point of his act is that he bombs with conservatives. it's what gets him a prime slot on tv, and what got him to that podium...

i doubt his bit 'bombing' in the *white house* was any sort of risk. not even miniscule.

the biggest risk he had was laughing in the middle of his act lol... almost dropped it at one point!

yeah it's brave to make such a big statement against a lot of big people. but here's to hoping they did'nt get a clue in their thick skulls!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2007, 5:48:09 AM PDT
Gregory Muir says:
the page is there but no audio from thel ink

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2007, 6:07:59 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 10, 2007, 6:08:17 AM PDT
Grayovac says:
The previous link has a button on the page labeled "Listen" for a RealAudio stream. Here's the link for a downloadable MP3 for the entire show:

http://podcastdownload.npr.org/anon.npr-podcasts/podcast/13/15137734/npr_15137734.mp3

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2007, 1:25:04 PM PDT
L. Wlaz says:
Stephen's wit, insight, and courage on that occasion made him a superstar overnight. Therefore, I find it ironic when people said he "bombed." He who laughs last....

It might be argued that his Swiftian treatment of His Chimperial Highness was a turning point in what could be said post-p/11, kicking down the door of the media's protection of the worst president ever. That night, opponents of the Bush disaster went from being sealed off in far-away "First Amendment Zones" to 10 feet away from the monkey boy himself. Disgust with an Press corps that were not forced to be unfree, but who chose self-censorship, went from the local "letters to the editor" to the stage in a room where they were all gathered. What a great night.

People don't just enjoy his great talent -- they LOVE him -- and that it a very rare thing.

His skewering speech will go down in history as the definitive assessment of our unfortunate era, as surely as the words of Swift, Dickens, and Twain.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2007, 2:29:15 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 12, 2007, 2:40:41 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2007, 4:12:18 AM PDT
B. Smart says:
I agree his speech was brave and painfully funny in its skewering of Bush. But for the life of me I don't understand why it bombed with the audience. The journalists invited him, they know what The Colber Report is all about. Yet, they sat on their hands for his all too true words. This from the same fine group of folks that invited DON IMUS to be the entertainment one year.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2007, 11:10:56 AM PDT
e-dubya says:
Yes. I have to say it was hilarious that they thought "he was on their side" and wouldn't make fun of this administration... I really think the first season of Colbert Report duped many conservatives... He really is the KING of satire, isn't he?

My favorite part of the Correspondents' Dinner was when he told them to "speak into their name cards" if they needed the CIA to get them a salad or something... so FUNNY!
(sorry, I may be off on the exact quote)...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2007, 7:19:39 AM PDT
RamblinD says:
{{sigh}} You just don't get satire or exaggerations do you? Dude, it was just a phrase, like when someone says "he went crazy".

Your response made me go crazy.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2007, 1:17:14 PM PDT
Amolibri says:
It was the tour-de-force of the decade (at least!!!) Whatta guy!!! We love you, SC!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  12
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  Oct 6, 2007
Latest post:  Oct 30, 2007

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

This discussion is about
I Am America (And So Can You!)
I Am America (And So Can You!) by Michael C. Brumm (Hardcover - October 9, 2007)
4.2 out of 5 stars (633)