Your Garage Beauty LyingGame STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 21 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 26 reviews
on August 4, 2015
The history of the Oregon Trail is filled with death and destruction and many tails told in the twist of the tong, some not true at all others brought forth as a fable with little substance of truth. As a historian on Eastern Oregon and Westward Migration much that has been told about the trip and what happened at the Whitman all to often is told in the venue of half truths. This book, "Orphaned on the Oregon Trail" will add to any dedicated reader more of the experience of coming west and of the Whitman Mission and its purpose and insight into those that arrived there almost at the point of starvation, children 2 to 16 years of age, no parents, cared for by the wagon train families headed West. This book is a good read for all ages and I enjoyed it from start to finish and have now passed it on to my grandchildren. The text is shallow in the events of what happened at the Whitman Mission but the intent was to tell the story of the 7 children orphaned on the trail West. To gain a fuller understanding of the Whitman tragedy I suggest reading the five Volume series, "Thunder Over the Ochoc's" and Frontier Genocide of the Native People.
on June 29, 2013
My maiden name is Sayger and my GGGGGG Uncle is the character in this book who takes his family on the Oregon Trail. I read it to my mother (92) and she loved it. Great story, very moving and for me, a real eye opening experience into the history of my family.
on April 22, 2017
Great book, terrific read aloud with my 4th grade class during our study of the Westward Expansion and the Oregon Trail!
on July 17, 2015
I read this book cover to cover in one sitting. The children displayed remarkable character living through loss of family, having to adjust to a new family only to lose them in a most horrible situation. This book draws you into the characters, helping you to realize what day to day life was over a century ago, what settlers endured in hardships, illness and the threat of being brutally murdered. Interesting book, but some of the death description would be difficult for children to hear or read about.
on March 15, 2017
I love this book
on April 16, 2008
I bought this book for my 8-year old son and I to read together because we are both interested in the Oregon Trail. The story is all the more interesting and emotional because it's based on the true story of seven kids who lose both parents as they move west as part of a wagon train. The trials and tribulations of the family and their adoptive parents brings history alive in a way children can relate to, albeit with sadness and tragedy involved. Some very emotional children might have a hard time with the deaths and killing in the story, but the characters' ability to survive it is a great lesson in human resiliency and courage. The fates of the children are included at the end of the book, so the reader's attachment to them is fulfilled by learning of their lives after the story ends.
on May 20, 2011
I am typing this for my 9 year old daughter

"It was a great book and it made me laugh and cry in different parts. I recommend it to anybody who likes adventure stories and exciting stories about westward expansion."
on August 15, 2016
I have been interested in the Sagers children for a very long time. I really was happy to receive the real story from Catherine's story in her own words.
on April 22, 2016
We love this book, although it may be a somewhat depressing story, their strength and courage to press on is amazing! Great book for grades 5-10 and adults too.
on January 5, 2017
I loved the story when I read it in 5th grade and my son was fascinated as well, also 5th grader.