Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Steve Madden Women's Troopa Lace-Up
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now

on May 14, 2011
Be warned that these are nothing like the boots in the photo. Maybe one time they were high quality, but now they're just ripoffs. The zippers aren't metal but plastic and the leather is so cheap it doesn't even look real. They need to be rephotographed so that people aren't misled.
11 comment| 111 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 24, 2011
I was so excited about these boots! I couldn't wait for them to get here and when they did and I opened the box it was a complete let down. As soon as I took the paper out of the boots I noticed that the soles looked funny. As I proceeded to check out the boots I noticed that the bottom of the boots had white size numbers which stuck me as odd. Anyway I then noticed that they said "made in India". For anyone that has bought Steve Madden shoes, you'll know that his shoes are made in China. I looked at this boot in the store and the boot I received was a different shoe. A fake shoe. If you really want this shoe, order it from Steve Madden. The ones from Amazon run small and aren't made well. Hope this helps future buyers!
1111 comments| 265 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 12, 2014
I love the color, love the smell. love everything about it. The only thing is they run big after use. At first they were tight but with use i have trouble with them. So buy a smaller size.
review image review image review image review image
on November 13, 2010
These are great for urban warriors on dry cement, but watch out if you hit any slippery substance, zero traction. But you'll look really cool and edgy flopping around on your arse in the mud.

I like 'em - alot. There is one sharp area at the inside top seam/zipper, which means you'll have to wear socks higher than the height of the boot.
22 comments| 86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 19, 2012
I see a lot of reviews saying these boots are fakes, but I am relatively sure they're the legit real deal. The thing is that they're not making them like they used to.

I bought these boots in black three years ago when they first came out, loved them and wore the hell out of them. I still wear them, but recently they developed a hole in the leather, right at the toe seam. It seemed like an unfixable issue, so I decided it was time to order a replacement pair. I ordered them in black, received them a couple days later, and was SO CONFUSED. This was not the same boot. The fit and the profile is the same, but the leather is much less supple, the zipper is big and garish and stiff, the laces are cartoony...Compared to the original pair these boots have REALLY gone downhill.

I was bummed and decided to try my luck finding nicer boots. No dice. These are still the best looking lace-up boot I've found, to the point where I decided to suck it up and reorder, in brown this time.

I just received my latest pair, totally prepared for the quality and stiffness and what have you, only to be totally blindsided by the SMELL. Oh my god these smell horrible out of the box. To the point where I've got a headache and have left them sitting in an open window so they can off-gas. I'm not sensitive about stuff like this, either. I was actually just shaking my head at a dramatic reviewer who said she threw a pair of pants in the trash because she couldn't take the smell. I assume that these smelly boots are the universe's way of punishing me for my schadenfreude.

I am so devoted to the style of this boot that I am giving them a chance to air out. But if they don't lose the noxious odor, I am returning them. AGAIN.

Also FYI, these boots say "Made in Mexico" and someone pointed out that real Steve Madden is made in China. My original, awesome, high-quality pair say "Made in India", so I don't think the "made in" label is much to go on with these.
22 comments| 59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 20, 2012
Both the soles peeled off within a few months. Disgusting quality for boots that cost $100. Do not waste your money.
on May 21, 2015
These shoes are clearly either seconds or straight up fakes. I had tried on the 5.5 and 6 at a Steve Madden store last week, and then I ordered the 6 on Amazon. The leather in store was soft and the 6 fit well. However, these shoes from Amazon are not only stiff, low quality leather - which by the way smells terrible - they didn't fit the same way as the shoes I tried on in store, AND they are also defectively made. The tongue on one shoe was 2 inches shorter than the other shoe. What!! They looked so shoddy and cheap when I tried them on. Sending these piece of junk shoes right back to Amazon!
review image
on March 7, 2012
When I first got these shoes, they were the wrong size. I'm actually glad I got these first, because they were of good quality, and allowed me to differentiate the boots I received later, which were very poorly made. The ones I got first (the good ones), had even soles, precisely cut leather, even stitching, and leather that felt substantial. The replacement I got was anything but. The soles were bumpy, and the rubber was cut very crudely such that there were many splinters along the sole (this is NOT acceptable given the price of these boots). The leather and stitching was a joke. I couldn't find any area on the shoe where the stitching was parallel to the edge of the leather for more than an inch. The leather wasn't positioned well either, and it'd bunch up at the sides even when not worn. I've read somewhere that Steve Madden shoes are supposed to be made in China, but the replacements I received (I actually returned these TWICE hoping my first replacement was a dud) were all made in Mexico. My best guess is that Steve Madden has been sourcing from different factories, and some of these places have ZERO quality control. There were also areas on the boot where a bunch of stitching overlaps, and I could see little brown beads at the ends of the threads where the factory worker likely burned with a match. Again, NOT OK. If you're going to charge $100 for these boots, you better make sure the thread ends are tied properly. Or if you're going to cheap out at least don't make it so blatantly obvious. I have fake leather boots I've gotten for way cheaper and even they haven't stooped so low.

Another funny thing. If you look up these same shoes on endless, the most recent reviews complain about their complete lack of quality too, so I know this problem isn't just limited to Amazon.

Bottom line, Steve Madden is CHEAP. Not cheap in price, ironically, but when it comes to material and labor, you bet they're cutting costs any way they can. Appalling quality, both in material and workmanship. Never buying from this brand again.
on May 16, 2013
This is a great looking boot but cheaply made. I purchased this boot on April 11, 2013 and returned it on May 13, 2013 because the heel came apart! I was so disappointed and really loved the boot so I went to Akira to purchase the boot because I did'nt have time to wait on an exchange from Amazon. When in Akira I asked to try on this same boot but the boot Akira gave me was true to color and the leather was different from the Amazon boot. It was the Steve Madden Blue Troopa but better quality and the inside of the boot was a dark brown color. The Amazon boots were white in the inside? The boots from Amazon said made in India but the boots from Akira were made in China. I have other Steve Madden boots that I purchased from stevemadden.com and found they were made in China as well. I'm afraid that Amazon might be selling a knock off. I would suggest you try the actual Steve madden storefront if you want to purchase from Amazon. Otherwise go to an authorized retailer for authentic Madden boots, sandals or shoes.
VINE VOICEon April 30, 2013
I needed a summery boot that was good for walking or riding a bike, would work well with skirts or jeans, and was appropriate for the lab. These fit the bill perfectly. I have been buying Steve Madden shoes for a long time, and have noticed that the quality varies pretty wildly; I think it depends on which factory they're made in. The pair that I received was made in Mexico and the leather is sturdy but soft, matte and almost buttery. The zipper is brass. The entire boot looks and feels well-made. These are roomier than most of my Steve Madden boots (I wear a size 10) even though the boot looks slim and isn't as long as other boots which have a snugger fit, in particular my Timberlands. I considered sending them back for a 9.5, but then decided that I didn't want to take the risk of ending up with boots that were too snug, and this way I can wear insoles, or bulkier socks in the winter. Overall I think this is a great boot at the price (I paid less than $70) if you end up with a pair from Mexico or China and not one from India, which seems to be what most of the complaints are about. If you do get a pair that seems low-quality, I would just exchange them.