Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning ballerss3 ballerss3,
image-map-link=rect  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $59.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 29 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 31 reviews
on February 12, 2010
GET THIS E-BOOK!!! I debated whether it would be worth the money before I took a big month-long trip to Spain this past October/November 2009. I was not disappointed! The most useful feature (there are tons) in the Snapshot city guide e-books are the self-guided tours and walks. There are excursion tips, updated cost, hours, locations, phone numbers, maps, self-guided walking tours in the city...Seriously, it's a no-brainer. Get this e-book. Even if you never use it. For so little money, you can save yourself a world full of headaches. He also points out cool things to see in the city that aren't in other tour books, cool facts and history, and he gives invaluable tips of the good places to go for everything (food, entertainment, museums, neighborhoods, etc). Also, the local free tourist maps they give you are usually anemic by way of detailed, accurate information. Having this little tool as a backup is critical when you may not have time to hunt down bigger books and maps. It also gives you info about surrounding cities you may like to visit, as well as tips on language, money, phoning...Plus, it fits in your pocket (I used it on my iPhone with the Kindle reader). You don't look like a tourist dork reading your iPhone, like you do lugging around maps and books. You look way cooler... I used this guide for Sevilla, Cordoba (a HUGE help since there wasn't alot of helpful city info I could easily locate (tours, etc)). I self navigated thru La Mezquita, and saved a ton of money on formal audio and tour guides (the self-guided tour in the e-book is VERY thorough and comprehensive). It also give you tips to Granada & Gibraltar (I ran out of time to see them). Rick Steves knows how to make a city come alive! You will get your money's worth 10 fold.
on September 25, 2011
Information on cities and towns that covered in this book is interesting, valuable, and useful. But if you are going to visit Malaga, Cadiz or both, you will find nothing in this book. Meantime Malaga has many places to visit like the Castle of Gibralfaro the Alcazaba, and Museo Picasso. Cadiz also has many interesting buildings and one of the most beautiful beaches in the world - La Playa de la Caleta.
Same time the book covers Morocco and Tangier that are not located in Southern Spain.
on November 28, 2014
I thought this would be helpful esp. the Southern Spain section but Steves skips over the Southern Coast and actually discourages spending any time in the area. the only stop recommended was the town of Narja which is nice but there are many interesting and fun areas on the coast from Malaga east to Almaria. Most of Europe vacations in this area, esp. Germans and Brits. Steves complains that they have ruined the area, which I find very snobbish on his part, since we are all tourist. Before tourist came here in flocks the whole area was tiny fishing villages. To be irritated by tourist is strange since he makes his living off tourism. The Southern coast is best visited after the extremely hot summer months when most people are not on vacation. If you like beach hopping you will love the area with more wilderness then high rises. Many nude beaches are clearly posted, very low key and not creepy. You won't find much English spoken here and after a while you really look forward to chatting with Brits on holiday who are very light hearted and friendly.
My Spanish host look though the book and was miffed at how Steves dismisses the whole area. If you dislike the beach then you certainly will find helpful info. about Sevilla and Granada, which are must see cities, but if you have the time try getting to the coast for beach hopping, Cava drinking and seafood. Very relaxing away from the bustle of the cities.
on February 3, 2013
I had checked this book out of the library, then decided it would be much easier to purchase the electronic version for reference on the trip. While a book is much easier to flip through and bookmark, this was easier to carry on both an Android phone and Samsung notebook.

I always appreciate a Rick Steves walking tour. The tour for the Alhambra in Granada, the Alcazar and cathedral in Seville, and the information on Tangier, Morocco, were especially helpful. Since we were traveling with 6 of us and trying to move pretty quickly, we didn't purchase the audio tours in English for many of these sites. We were able to maintain the pace we wanted by guiding ourselves.

There is a lot of information in the guide for people who know nothing about the region they are visiting, and don't speak the language there. The background information is very helpful, and the detailed information is too. The balance between the two is excellent. I even used the hand-drawn map in Ronda, along with a terrific restaurant recommendation for tapas. We did not use any of the hotel recommendations as I work for a major hotel chain and am brand-loyal.

Even the notes about the orange trees growing in Seville were accurate--the fruit is everywhere, but tastes terrible! It got to be a bit of a joke with the family--when I quoted Rick's guide, my kids would throw up both hands in the air in an "all-hail" sort of gesture and intone "Rick Steves has spoken!"

I find that Rick's intentions and sensibilities for travel match ours well. He led us away from over-done, touristy areas and toward more authentic places and activities. It doesn't cost much to bring Rick Steves on vacation with you, and may be the best money you spend!
on July 14, 2010
This was a great companion to have while traveling through Seville, Granada, and Cordoba. I used it on my iPhone using the Kindle Reader app. The information is generally accurate and the guides for the various sites were very useful. I also appreciated the few maps that were included. It is so much more convenient to be able to carry my guidebook for the various cities on my phone rather than having to carry the paper book.

My only complaint with the ebook is that it could definitely have used a better index that would allow me to flip back and forth to various topics more easily. The table of contents was a bit too broad - quick links to specific museums or monuments or whatnot would definitely have been useful. As it is, when I wanted to get a specific section, I would have to go to the nearest point via the table of contents, and then either flip through or guess as to the location to zoom ahead.

I'll definitely be purchasing eGuidebooks from now on, however. The convenience is excellent.
on February 19, 2010
My parents are taking a cruise in the Spring which will take them through Spain, Italy, and Greece. We have purchased several of Rick Steves' books in preparation for the cruise and they have been terrific. The maps, hints and tours have provided a wealth of information. The useful phrases section is also terrific. All of Rick Steves' resource information has been excellent. We have also moved over to his website and downloaded onto an MP3 several of his tours. I don't know what more we could ask for other than a personally guided tour and the books are certainly the next best thing!
on August 9, 2010
As usual, Rick Steeves takes you along and tells you as you go where you are, how to get there and what to expect. He even provides hand drawn maps. I like the fact that he shares the good and not so good with you. Nothing is worse than expecting all to be great after spending mucho bucks and find yourself in a dump. He knows the little out of the way places and watches your wallet at the same time. Defintely worth the reading and small amount of money for the information.
on April 22, 2013
We had this book with us while we traveled. It helped tremendously with knowing what to see and what to expect. Just make sure you read or review it as much as possible before you leave. Then read it to remind yourself while you are there. His tips are very helpful.
on August 26, 2013
Rick Steven's travel book was very useful, it gave me a lot of good advices during my trip to South Spain. Each stop that I had was planed according to this book and the whole trip was nice and interesting. I always buy Rick Steven's book when I am going abroad and it never disappointed me.
on January 11, 2014
LIke he says, a snapshot- Steves writes for the market of folks touring/traveling Europe, on their own,
and most of us don't have a ton of time to spare doing it; his suggestions and directions are spot on and concise
and the book is entertaining .