Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals HPC Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Thor: Ragnarok available to buy Thor: Ragnarok available to buy Thor: Ragnarok available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18SW_gno

on November 20, 2016
I'm so happy to have found this series! I love the stories and character development, and love slowly getting to know Agent Pendergast. For some reason, I keep thinking "Prendergast." Weird. I've only just finished this fourth book in the series, and was quite surprised at the turn at the end. I think the characters are nicely developed, and I always enjoy having people to dislike and people to love. My only complaint is the authors' use of incorrect "could care less" term instead of the correct "couldn't care less" (after all, if you could care less, why don't you <smile>). But that a just a nitpick. I love forward to reading all of the books in this series. I have enjoyed Lee Child's other novels, but I'm not sure I've read Douglas Preston yet.
on October 14, 2015
I liked this book overall. It is a fun addition to the Pendergast saga. It has everything I have come to expect from Preston and Child (well-written, fun factoids, developed scene and setting...), but I have a few minor issues with this book...

For one thing, this book does very little as far as getting to know Pendergast goes. Though he is the only consistent character so far in the series, he never quite takes center stage. To this point, we (the readers) know very little about him; only that he is moneyed, smart, resourceful, and always one step ahead of local law enforcement. Still, despite the lack of revealing information, it is a fun little romp/murder mystery with a familiar character, pace, and scope. Great for airplanes...

My other minor complaint is a plot device that is used near the end of the book. Not spoiling anything, but an important minor character decides to take things into their own hands, without consulting Pendergast or any other appropriate authority, and so gets in a huge heap of trouble. One of the best things about this series is that the stories flow naturally and the characters make reasonable, calculated decisions. In this, Preston and Child have strayed from that tradition, and it was disappointing. Alas, the book was still enjoyable. I will read the next one soon.
on March 7, 2016
Just finished reading "Still life with Crows." Oh my goodness nerve wrecking!! Haha. For me to 'turn the lights on before I dare go downstairs' while reading this book, says it all. Absolutely L.O.V.E. Pendergast, best character ever! I hope Preston & Child keep writing books with him in it because I'm hooked. Very interesting story overall, edge of your seat and "unputdownable" for sure. I love the character Corrie, hoping she'll return in the books at sometime. She has lots of potential!! Also really like the "teasers" referring back to "Cabinet of Curiosities." Can't wait to find out what is "pitter pattering" through that old mansion!!
on March 31, 2015
This was my first Prendergast novel. My wife's reading all 12 (?) of them. Each one apparently builds on the previous one, and focuses on a particular crime or serial killer. This one is set in Kansas where my aunts and uncles lived, so I enjoyed it. Author says not really Kansas, though, and the corn makes it seem like Iowa. Good writing. Good story. Throws in a little science fiction with each one, like ghosts or the occult. Takes a while to read. Similar overall series structure similar to Jack Reacher novels--same characters, different crime scene, some carryover on facts and details. Not sure I'll read more. Dragged a tiche at times.
on May 25, 2014
I am a huge fan of the FBI Special Agent Pendergast series and loved this book! I highly recommend reading The Cabinet of Curiosities prior to starting this book, however someone I recommended the series to, started with this book and also loved it. Said that they especially enjoyed the subtle references to events that either HAD happened or persons we might learn more about in the future. So it stands alone just as well.
I loved the break from New York and being thrust into the cornfields. I especially enjoyed the descriptions of the town, the fields, the caves, etc. It was so easy to picture in my head that I felt I was there. The biggest surprise, besides the identity of the unsub,, was the view into the human side of Pendergast's persona.
Two thumbs up from me!
on October 17, 2017
These guys and their twisted tales truly keep you on your toes. I couldn't stop reading it freaked the crap out of me. I found myself chuckling at some humor but mostly gasping and cringing as murder upon murder is stacked up. Good grief! The writing fantastic and as long as they keep coming up with these twisted tales, I'll read their work. Bravo. Off to book #5
on February 8, 2014
This is the fourth in the Pendergast series. Although Relic and Reliquary are decent, Cabinet of Curiosities is where I recommend to start. Still life with Crows is a great sort if stand alone to the first of the books, and it has a great mystery and more details about Pendergast who us a very unique character who teems up with a very unique teen to solve a frightening mystery. They book was in great condition and is now part of my "to be signed by author" collection.
on February 20, 2006
FBI Special Agent Pendergast is one of the most inigmatic charactors I've come across. Pendergast has a brilliant reasoning ability that is coupled with an almost encyclopedic wealth of the arcane. When a horrific murder happens in obscure Medicine Creek Kansas, the local sheriff declares it a singular event, only to find that Pendergast has come to announce he is wrong. Though there is only one killing, Pendergast declares that a seriel killer has come to this hot dying dot on the map. As more bodies appear, the sheriff must conclude that Pendergast is right. The mind of Pendergast must cut through the clues, and the secrets of the town to find answers that only he seems to want uncovered. This is not always easy, but it is always just on the edge of chillling. If you pick up on the bits of the puzzle that Pendergast drops, you will figure out what's happening before the story blows things wide open. What is even more interesting though are the glimpses into Pendergast himself. If you've followed the tales of Preston and Child, you can piece what you learn here with the bits from other outings with Pendergast, to see the unique complexity of this singular detective. While I found this less intricate than other outings by Preston and Child, it is still definately one to read with the lights on and the doors locked.
on August 13, 2017
I really need to learn how to relax when I read these books. As the suspense grows or as the book nears another tense situation, my shoulders tighten and my back gets rigid. It is only as I finish the last page that I begin to relax, only to wonder what the next book will bring. 😱
on April 17, 2017
Reading it now. Very good book. I have to admit that I am reading it quickly by skipping many of the description paragraphs that bulk up the book, reading all of the dialogue since that is what progresses the plot. And enjoying it immensely.