Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Still Life
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Joseph Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Water Sports STEM

on May 27, 1999
This is a great live album. I think Rolling Stone magazine was certainly too picky, and many others are over critical. You can't compare this album to older releases like "Ya-Ya's" or "Love You Live" because a lot of the material on this album was contemporary of the time, and sounds great. Highlights are definitely "Satisfaction" (possibly the BEST version!), "Under My Thumb", and "Start Me Up." The only problem is that the film companion to this album, "Let's Spend the Night Together" (unfortunately no longer available), has far greater versions of "Let Me Go" (10x better), and "20 Flight Rock" than this album's, and the film also has live gems like "Hangfire", "Neighbors", and "Let it Bleed", which should have been included on this album. If you can, try and get the video, because when combined with "Still Life" you've got a great live Stones set.
on October 27, 2002
Still Life (American Concert 1981) was originally released June 1, 1982, it went to #1 in both the UK & US. The album includes the single hits Going To A Go Go (backed by Beast Of Burden) and Time Is On My Side (live version)(backed by Twenty Flight Rock). Both Going To A God Go and Twenty Flight Rock had not been recorded previously and were not issued on any other albums. Most people know the music, so in my reviews I try to give you data on the sessions and interesting facts connected with the songs and the album. Here we go:
The album was recorded at during the 81 American tour in NJ (11-5), Chicago (11-25), Largo, MD (12-7/8), Tempe (12-13), and Hampton Roads (12-18/19).
Interesting notes include:
.....the Dec 13 Tempe, Arizona concert at Sun Devil Stadium was filmed and became the movie Let's Spend The Night Together (still available here on Amazon.com)
.....Before the Rosemont Horizon shows in Chicago the Stones showed up at the Checkerboard Lounge to jam with Muddy Waters in his last recorded performance before he died in 1983 (videotapes of the show are still popular in the bootleg market)
.....The Stones rehearsed for the tour during August and September at Longview Farm in Brookfield, MA. It was the 1st major corporate sponsored tour, entertaining >2 million paying fans and grossing $60 million.
.....Mick was not getting along with Keith and Woody at this time....they called him "Brenda" and things got so bad that the tour contract required Mick to stay off the stage when Keith did Little T&A.
.....Keith hated the cherry picker that Mick used during the concerts, but when Mick offered to dump it if Keith would give up drugs for the duration of the tour, the cherry picker stayed
.....On Sep 14 the band did a gig as "Blue Monday and the Cockroaches" at the 350 seat Sir Morgan's Cove in Worcester, MA.....5,000 fans had to be held back to avoid a riot...the club finally opened the doors while the Stones did a short set that could be heard outside
This information comes from "It's Only Rock And Roll: The Ultimate Guide To The Rolling Stones" by Karnbach and Bernson, from Stephen Davis' "Old Gods Almost Dead," and from my own collection.
VINE VOICEon November 18, 2004
The critics always pan this, don't listen to them. There is nothing profound here just a really good rock concert. Let Me Go is a great, faster improvement over the Emotional Rescue version, Just My Imagination is fabulous and even the golden oldie Time Is On My Side is put forth with ragged passion.

This was the last tour that the Stones were confident enough to just go out and play with a few choice sidemen, not a huge posse of background singers and other players to cover up their slips. The magical key to a great Stones song is backup vocals from Keith and we get that here in spades.

My only criticism of this record is that it's too short. There were lots of great songs from this tour that should have been included. She's So Cold, Beast of Burden and Let It Bleed come to mind.
on September 27, 2005
Back on the 1981 tour, "Tattoo You" had just been released, and this album chronicles a strong outing by the Stones. And yes, ladies and gentlemen, Mick wore football pants and the Union Jack at the same time...who else has the swagger to pull that off?

Anyway, like some folks have said, critics usually say this album isn't worth its salt. I disagree. Listen to the different take on "Under My Thumb"...it changes from a marimba-laced groove tune to a hard rock classic. What's more, the disc offers a fast-paced, energetic version of "Shattered," as well as "Goin' to a Go-Go," a Smokey Robinson classic that became a staple of that tour. Too bad we missed out on "She's So Cold" and got "Let Me Go" instead.

In addition, "Start Me Up" was truly a new song on this tour, and it shows with the energy and excitement that comes through on this version. At one point, Mick asks the crowd, "Are you ready to rock and roll some more?"

I know I am. Get this one ~LBS
on September 15, 2015
34 years ago i was 19 and me and 2 buddies jumped into my car and drove to the Orlando tangerine bowl to see the Stones. From what i remember it was a great show perfect weather. I just wish they had put more songs from the shows on this album. For that reason i give it 3 stars.
on January 28, 2016
Just got it today-1/28/2016!! I love it!! Awesome!! Fantastic!! Amazon is like a Xmas Wonderland!! I will be doing all of my shopping here!! Great music store!! Great!! Amazon has everything you could ever imagine or want!! :o)
on May 1, 2002
Recorded during The Rolling Stones' 1981 tour, Still Life includes both live songs from then-recent albums and old gems, as well as a number of covers, including The Miracles' "Going to a Go-Go." The best moments come first with the Stones' own: a terrific version of "Under My Thumb" and a good one of "Let's Spend the Night Together," each among my favorite Stones songs ever. The opening signature to "Thumb" is one of the best. I've always been amused by how the Stones combine a melodramatic, earnest music line with such mean lyrics--or do they acknowledge they are mean? Anyway, Mick's singing in this one, the best cut of this album, is excellent--is he committed? "Satisfaction" also rocks, necessarily at a faster pace, along with "Let Me Go" and "Start Me Up." The slower classics are represented by a fine version of "Time Is on My Side," again with good singing by Mick. Overall, a good live CD. "Still Life" is worth checking out.
on November 14, 2013
1981 was a watershed year for the Stones. "Tattoo You" which was an album they made from throwaways from many years back took the word by a pleasant surprise with "Start ME UP" being a beloved classic before it even becoming a classic. One thing I can say about the album is that it is very good. The boys perform "Let's Spend The Night Together" for the first time since 1966 which is even more raw and more raunchy than its inception back in the 1960's. Loved the opening theme with Duke Ellington's "Take The A Train" and how it parlays into a very hard rocking "Under My Thumb." "Shattered "is ok, but not as electrifying as it was when the boys played it three years earlier with the "Some Girls" tour. A few gems do stick out: "Going to A Go Go is a nicely performed; the Stones' cover of "Just My Imagination," is raw and hits home, and "Let Me Go" features some of the best drumming you will hear live from Charlie Watts. But buyer beware. Although this concert album is good, it is missing about half of the concert that the Stones played. Out of 23 songs on each setlist every time they played only 11 make it to this album which is very disappointing if you ever heard the concerts which is not hard to find as the Stones taped every show on the tour...For the die hard Rolling Stone fan it is nice to have in your collection. For the new comer to Stones live acts, Some Girls Live, Get Yer Ya Ya's Out double live album. Love You Live or the new Hyde Park...Sweet Summer Sun might offer a glimpse of the band when they put the whole show on disc. I like it a lot, but "Still Life" should have been a double album without any songs removed from the tour. Because of this, I downgraded the album to 4 stars rather than 5.
on May 11, 2012
I had this on vinyl back in high school....it has my favorite version of "Under My Thumb" I just recently purchased "Hampton Coliseum Live '81" from google music....it's great, but the version of under my thumb is different and not quite as powerful in my opinion. Some of the versions are the same. I had to have this back in my collection....it's a great snap-shot of the stones during this time period!
on January 3, 2014
The Stones are great on this cd! Recorded on their 1981 tour this alnum delivers perhaps the best versions of "Under My Thumb" , "Just My Imagination" and "Satisfaction"! This is Jagger and the Stones before they went to having backup singers and in my opinion a "Too Polished Live sound". This is more to their simple Chuck Berry roots.