Industrial Deals HPC Spring Reading Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon howardsend howardsend howardsend  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

Stillness Speaks
Format: Hardcover|Change

on August 22, 2016
This book changed my life! I felt like I was spinning out of control and maybe going crazy, then a friend recommended this book to me. I have read it 3 times already and I'm getting a little more out of it each time! This book is for you if you have an obsession with the past and your mind likes to make up stories about the future. If you are looking to quiet your mind and feel good again, this book is for you. Its not an easy read, thus the many times I've already read it. But after I was done with this book, I purchased The New Earth, another book written by Tolle. Love, love, love that book. They go hand in hand. I highly recommend this book!
0Comment| 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 14, 2015
Well, I'm a huge Eckhart Tolle fan. "The Power of Now" is one of my all time favorite books. "A New Earth" is also a great book. I think this book (Stillness Speaks) is my favorite read of all of them, though. By far the easiest book of his to read. "Power of Now" and "A New Earth" are so deep they took me a long time to get through as I needed to stop, take breaks, let things sink in. "Stillness Speaks" has many "aha" moments, as anything by Tolle most likely will, but the book itself is short, the chapters are short, and the writing within the chapters is no more than a paragraph or two within each section. Very easy, powerful read. Everyone should read this book, it's great.
VINE VOICEon December 29, 2016
I would rate this read 6* if I could. This is the third book I have read by Eckhart Tolle. It's not the kind of book you fly through reading. Take your time with it, a few pages or a topic at a time, and give some thought to what is said. It is a powerful read and takes time to "digest". This book may help you find calm, peace, and acceptance in your life. VERY highly recommended.
on September 20, 2015
Im into meditation and enjoy the self-help genre such as David Deida, Esther Hicks, Wayne Dyer, etc. Sometimes you run across books that are life changing and this one has greatly impacted my universe. It helps you reach this stillness in your brain that is different then any other author has laid out for me before. I can access my conscious mind and turn down the thoughts so much more easily now. And I have a whole series of notes I've been reviewing from this book each day to make part of my habit of existence. Highly recommend to anyone who is working on tapping into consciousness at a higher level.
on June 10, 2015
If you're looking for a deeper understanding to spirituality, this small book might be what will help you. Having been steeped in religious tradition for over 60 years, I can give testimony that there is another dimension beyond rules, right and wrong and the obsolete, dry halls of most churches in America. Find your true sacredness, and true worth in discovering life can be experienced beyond what the insanity of your mind is telling you. You can find peace and stillness all around you, but you have to want it bad enough to look in areas you didn't know were there. Stillness Speaks can help you with your discovery in your journey.
This book is not meant to be read in one or two or three reading sessions. It's meant to be read very slowly and mindfully. Read only a page or paragraph at a time. These spiritual Sutra's are meant to shock you into being aware of your true spiritual nature waiting to emerge.
on May 16, 2017
Find it buy it...full of reflective aphorisms, or short sayings, sutras, to live by, pointers to the truth using words that in the act of reading become thoughts in your mind, but not ordinary thoughts---repetitive, noisy, self serving, clamoring for attention...The thoughts within this book don't say "look at me," but Look beyond me." Because the thoughts came out of stillness, they have power to take you back into the same stillness from which they arose. That stillness is also inner peace, and that stillness and peace for the essence of your Being.
VINE VOICEon August 7, 2011
In February 2008 I read A New Earth: Awakening to your Life's Purpose by Eckhart Tolle. Although I thought it was pretty good, I did not feel that most of the book was very original.

Recently I read an outstanding book called Stillpower: The Inner Source of Athletic Excellence by Garret Kramer. He indicated his epiphany came from author Sydney Banks' book The Missing Link: Reflections on Philosophy and Spirit. That too was a great book.

Mesmerized by the first two books, while reading other reviews, I discovered Eckhart Tolle's Stillness Speaks and decided that I would give him another try. I am glad I did.

Like Stillpower and The Missing Link, Tolle's 127-page book on the same subject matter was both insightful and enjoyable. He too talks about the mind chatter we recognize as thought and the equivalent of external noise as inner stillness or gap between thoughts where creativity and solutions to problems are found. It is the object of alertness and awareness of what others are saying without a thought of response. This stillness of thought removes barriers to listening beyond auditory perception to connection with another's consciousness.

Stillness of thought is the surrender to the moment and the recognition that you are life. As such, all living things are connected and sacred.

Tolle alludes to the Mind, Consciousness and Thought and separating one's self from the ego. If we break our unconscious identification to thoughts that lead to unhappiness the mindset will release suffering through the realization that our thoughts created it.

These books, as well as the others, promote mental health, improved relationships and needless suffering. They question reality and truth and encourage acceptance of life as we experience it in now as opposed to worrying about the past or future.

I hope you enjoyed this quick thought evoking read as I did.
1010 comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 20, 2018
This is an excellent book! One of those books that does not need to be read all at once, but in little moments of reflection. I would compare it to my favorite book, I AM THAT, by Sri.Nisargadatta. The insights here touch the deepest part of awareness. I love it. And highly recommend Stillness Speaks to anyone who is experiencing a conscious awakening and wants to focus on that inner space thru simplicity and open-eyed meditation.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 28, 2014
Although I haven't found some of Tolle's other books particularly engaging, this book was a game-changer for me.

The simple, profound wisdom shared in it opened up a world I hadn't ever understood or seen clearly before. I become calmer and more peaceful as I began to integrate the simple phrases and concepts into my consciousness and live.

To date, I have purchased at least 5 copies for friends. I will continue to do so--I love giving it as a gift to people.

I love that it's a low-commitment book. You can pick it up any time and read for 30 seconds and feel complete.

There's no need to read in sequential order. Each unique wisdom/thought as well as each chapter are completely free-standing. I can read for a minute or two in the morning and have a new mind-expanding thought to chew on for the rest of the day.

Years (and much learning & personal development work) later, I still pick this book up regularly.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 26, 2017
This is one of Eckhart Tolle books. In it he has complied his teachings in a simple way so that you can open the book at anytime to any page. Where it will give you inspiration in the moment of doubt or disperse the clouds of negativity. Its not meant to be read like a normal book. You just open to where ever you are inspired to turn and low and behold it will lifted your awareness to new heights.